SWVA Basketball State Champions

When was the last time a boys team from swva won a state title?  I know there have been some girl teams in recent years.  But I can't think of any boys teams since Powell Valley in the mid to late 70's.

12 hours ago, sixcat said:

Radford - 2009, 2011, 2013, 2016-2017

George Wythe - 2008 (beat Gate City)

Galax - 2011-2012

Council - 2001

Floyd - 1997

Twin Springs - 1993

Just a few off the top of my head.

Unsure about some of Radford’s, but the rest are A, not AA.  Big jump there historically.

6 hours ago, UVAObserver said:

Unsure about some of Radford’s, but the rest are A, not AA.  Big jump there historically.

According to the VHSL Book of Records, GW in 2008 and Radford in 2009, 2011 and 2013 were Group A-Division 2.  The rest were Division 1 or Class 1 under the new format.  The jump from D1 to D2 was significant.  Anything above D2 for the smaller schools would have been nightmarish for most.  Under the new format, the road to a boys basketball state title for Class 2 is significantly more difficult than in years past, I believe.  

10 minutes ago, sixcat said:

According to the VHSL Book of Records, GW in 2008 and Radford in 2009, 2011 and 2013 were Group A-Division 2.  The rest were Division 1 or Class 1 under the new format.  The jump from D1 to D2 was significant.  Anything above D2 for the smaller schools would have been nightmarish for most.  Under the new format, the road to a boys basketball state title for Class 2 is significantly more difficult than in years past, I believe.  

I often forget to make the equivalent connection as so many SWVA teams in the SWD played in the “equivalent” of 3A and 4A.

7 hours ago, sixcat said:

The crazy part about the 08 title for GW was that both GW and GC were smaller in enrollment than the Group A-Division 1 champ and maybe runner up as well.  I think it was just the champ who if I am not mistaken was Nelson County.  That was during the time Region B had a huge advantage over the rest of the state due to enrollment numbers for D1.

6 minutes ago, 1inStripes said:

The crazy part about the 08 title for GW was that both GW and GC were smaller in enrollment than the Group A-Division 1 champ and maybe runner up as well.  I think it was just the champ who if I am not mistaken was Nelson County.  That was during the time Region B had a huge advantage over the rest of the state due to enrollment numbers for D1.

Nelson County was the 2008 D1 champion and according to VDOE enrollment figures for 2008, it had 568 students to GW's 476.  Interestingly enough,  Galax beat Page and Amelia in 2011 and 2012 when Page had 608, Amelia had 561 and Galax had 394 each year according to VDOE stats. 

I know, i'm a nerd and have this data on hand at work!

On 1/4/2018 at 2:34 PM, 1inStripes said:

The crazy part about the 08 title for GW was that both GW and GC were smaller in enrollment than the Group A-Division 1 champ and maybe runner up as well. 

And that is what was wrong with the old system...preached it for years...

18 hours ago, UVAObserver said:

That works in the real world, not so much in Hammer World.

So I get quoted on an old post for no reason, I explain that while you guys may consider Radford SWVA, I personally don't, that's somehow ban-worthy?