Top 5 players to come from SWVA

WAVE 316

Not that familiar with guys outside of Region D, but I'll go with these guys in no particular order:

* Steve Marsee - Pennington Gap

* Barry Hamler - PV

* Mac McClung - GC

* Calvin Talford - Castlewood

* Trazell Silvers - Ervinton

Certainly an argument can be made for any of the following:

* Brad Nuckles - Council

* Stacy Ervin - Twin Springs

* Hobbie Stuart - Appalachia

* Randy Poole - Castlewood

* David Mitchell - Coeburn

I'm probably forgetting some others as well, but even though this is basically a greatest players from Region D answer, it's the best I can do.

JERRY MYERS, DENNIS DAVIS,RANDY FLEENOR,DONALD HENESY, SO MANY MORE 1000 POINT GUYS AND GALS FROM PV ALONE. I WILL SAY THIS, IF THERE WAS A THREE POINT SHOT BACK IN THE DAY THESE GUYS WOULD HAVE HAD 3000 POINTS,JERRY MYERS AND DENNIS DAVIS WOULD SHOOT ALMOST FROM HALF COURT

AND IF YOU COULD DUNK....OH MY, HAMLER WOULD HAVE TORE THE RIM OFF.MOSES MALONE PLAYED IN THE STATE CHAPIONSHIP IN 1974 , IN AAA WHILE PV WON THE STATE IN A, AND HE WAS QUOTED AS SAYING THAT BARRY HAMLER WAS THE BEST PLAYER AT STATE THAT YEAR AND HE WAS GLAD HE DIDNT HAVE TO REBOUND AGAINST HIM.  BURRELLS PEARLS, THE BIG STONE BOMBERS 29-0

1 hour ago, jarhead24219 said:

JERRY MYERS, DENNIS DAVIS,RANDY FLEENOR,DONALD HENESY, SO MANY MORE 1000 POINT GUYS AND GALS FROM PV ALONE. I WILL SAY THIS, IF THERE WAS A THREE POINT SHOT BACK IN THE DAY THESE GUYS WOULD HAVE HAD 3000 POINTS,JERRY MYERS AND DENNIS DAVIS WOULD SHOOT ALMOST FROM HALF COURT

Considering that the all-time VHSL leader has just a shade over 2700, and you insinuate that at least 4 players from one school would eclipse that mark, I have to ask: “Where are you getting your liquor?!”

most of  JERRY MYERS points were well beyond the arch, as well as DENNIS DAVIS,you have to remember POWELL VALLEY went to DB and won, this is during the BUCK VAN HUSS days, when DB was winning AAAAA and TEAMS LIKE KENTUCKY AND TN. used DB 'S GAMES AS RECRUITING TRIPS.BARRY HAMLER SCORED 2096 IN HIS TIME WITHOUT DUNKS OR 3 POINTERS, all the players I named had well over 1000 points, just check the VHSL RECORDS ......bro

2 hours ago, jarhead24219 said:

Stacys was definitely in the 3 point era.  A large percentage of his points came on 3 point shots.  The 3 point line did not come about in the VHSL until 87 I think. I could be wrong on the exact year.  For someone like Myers to get to 3000, basically 1000 of their made baskets would have had to have come from behind the 3 point line.

Joe Stiltner scored 875 points in only 21 games for Bland in 1977.  His 41.7 points per game scoring average that season is still #1 in the VHSL Book of Records.  The link is a photo of him playing for Norm Sloan at NC State.

https://d.lib.ncsu.edu/collections/catalog/0008140#?c=0&m=0&s=0&cv=0&z=-4045.8165%2C-659.4103%2C12281.633%2C6961.1111

Any list of "best high school basketball players from SWVA" that doesn't include Stiltner is incomplete!

Southwest VA 2,000-point club 

Stacy Ervin (Twin Springs)

Steve Marsee (Pennington)

Brad Nuckles (Council)

Danis Simmons (J.J. Kelly)

Winston Terry (Jonesville)

Jeff Owen (Cleveland)

Mike Collins (Flatwoods/Thomas Walker)

Barry Hamler (Powell Valley)

Ben Valley (Honaker/Lebanon)

Adam Hood (Rye Cove)

Andrew Adkins (Coeburn) 

David Mitchell (Coeburn)

Source: Bristol Herald Courier, 2-11-11, Tim Hayes 

And now: Mac McClung (Gate City)

4 hours ago, jarhead24219 said:

STEVE MARSEE-2459,ODELL HODGE 2530 ,STACY ERVIN 2687, I BELIEVE THAT MARSEE 'S WITHOUT THE 3 POINTER, NOT SURE ABOUT THE OTHER TWO

Odell Hodge was a 6'9" center ('89-'92).  There was a 3 point line but most of his points were in the paint.

11 minutes ago, JDHoss said:

Of the 2K point club, Marsee and Mitchell would have had a lot ore points for sure. Most of Hamler's points came from the paint out to 15 ft or so, but he had a sweet baseline jumper as well and was just relentless on the glass.

Hamler's 2,096 points is remarkable.  

But 1,924 career rebounds? 

That is sensational! 

2 hours ago, Liam McPoyle said:

Southwest VA 2,000-point club 

Stacy Ervin (Twin Springs)

Steve Marsee (Pennington)

Brad Nuckles (Council)

Danis Simmons (J.J. Kelly)

Winston Terry (Jonesville)

Jeff Owen (Cleveland)

Mike Collins (Flatwoods/Thomas Walker)

Barry Hamler (Powell Valley)

Ben Valley (Honaker/Lebanon)

Adam Hood (Rye Cove)

Andrew Adkins (Coeburn) 

David Mitchell (Coeburn)

Source: Bristol Herald Courier, 2-11-11, Tim Hayes 

And now: Mac McClung (Gate City)

Mike Collins had the nicest jheri curled mullet you ever saw.  Super smooth stroke for a big guy.

Not many people remember Powell Valley being a basketball powerhouse well before its football fame.  I found a couple articles talking about the epic Hamler-Marsee match ups in the mid '70s.  PV's coach was extremely frustrated that the UT and VT scouts at the game were not interested in his player.  They favored Marsee (a 6'5" guard) over Hamler (a 6'3" forward).  

Anyone know if/where Hamler played ball in college?

11 minutes ago, Liam McPoyle said:

Not many people remember Powell Valley being a basketball powerhouse well before its football fame.  I found a couple articles talking about the epic Hamler-Marsee match ups in the mid '70s.  PV's coach was extremely frustrated that the UT and VT scouts at the game were not interested in his player.  They favored Marsee (a 6'5" guard) over Hamler (a 6'3" forward).  

Anyone know if/where Hamler played ball in college?

He signed with Marshall, who was coached by former UT assistant (to Ray Mears) Stu Aberdeen. IIRC, he started and averaged around 10 ppg. Stu Aberdeen died unexpectedly, and I don't recall exactly what happened, but Hamler left and came back to CVC (UVA-Wise) and was a star there. Not sure where Hamler is now, but he got into coaching, and at one time was the head coach at Elizabeth City State in NCAA Division II.

9 hours ago, jarhead24219 said:

BARRY HAMLER IS BACK IN BSG, saleing used cars, he had some great teams while in NORTH CAROLINIA,I was hoping he would get back into coaching but he seems to be doing great at VIKING MOTORS

Why all the CAPS?

Anybody who was a starter on an ACC team should be in the conversation.  Nice article yesterday by BHC's Tim Hayes on Gate City's Josh Shoemaker.  Obviously a great basketball player, but I really enjoyed watching him on the gridiron as a 6'9" QB. 

http://www.heraldcourier.com/sports/history-with-hayes-shoemaker-paved-a-path-from-gate-city/article_c8f2f4ec-f740-11e7-91c8-df44512ca5a7.html

10 hours ago, Liam McPoyle said:

Anybody who was a starter on an ACC team should be in the conversation.  Nice article yesterday by BHC's Tim Hayes on Gate City's Josh Shoemaker.  Obviously a great basketball player, but I really enjoyed watching him on the gridiron as a 6'9" QB. 

http://www.heraldcourier.com/sports/history-with-hayes-shoemaker-paved-a-path-from-gate-city/article_c8f2f4ec-f740-11e7-91c8-df44512ca5a7.html

I saw Shoemaker play both football and basketball in high school against my younger brother.  Very talented athlete. Being the guy who replaced Tim Duncan at Wake is something he can tell his grandkids someday. 

Joe Stiltner was also a starter for an ACC program at NC State at a time when they were competitive on a national level.

20 minutes ago, sixcat said:

I saw Shoemaker play both football and basketball in high school against my younger brother.  Very talented athlete. Being the guy who replaced Tim Duncan at Wake is something he can tell his grandkids someday. 

Joe Stiltner was also a starter for an ACC program at NC State at a time when they were competitive on a national level.

I regret not getting to watch Joe Stiltner play.  I do remember all the buzz about him.  The Roanoke Times did a feature article on him during his senior season.  Instead of a basketball shot in uniform, they had a large photo of him sitting on his motorcycle with a leather jacket looking like Arthur Fonzarelli.  

12 minutes ago, Liam McPoyle said:

I regret not getting to watch Joe Stiltner play.  I do remember all the buzz about him.  The Roanoke Times did a feature article on him during his senior season.  Instead of a basketball shot in uniform, they had a large photo of him sitting on his motorcycle with a leather jacket looking like Arthur Fonzarelli.  

From what I understand, he was a bit of a wild child. Probably contributed to his shortened career at NC State. My uncle took me to see him play a few times when I was a small child.