Top 5 players to come from SWVA

WAVE 316

40 minutes ago, WAVE 316 said:

Is Cave Springs in Roanoke? 

It’s Cave Spring. There’s no ‘s’ on the end. And yes, it’s in Roanoke. 

Roanoke may be considered SWVA when you’re taking about the state or politics or whatever. But when it comes to high school sports, it’s not SWVA. 

5 minutes ago, Ryan4VT said:

It’s Cave Spring. There’s no ‘s’ on the end. And yes, it’s in Roanoke. 

Roanoke may be considered SWVA when you’re taking about the state or politics or whatever. But when it comes to high school sports, it’s not SWVA. 

Thanks. The original post said from Roanoke on down.

14 hours ago, Liam McPoyle said:

Anybody who was a starter on an ACC team should be in the conversation.  Nice article yesterday by BHC's Tim Hayes on Gate City's Josh Shoemaker.  Obviously a great basketball player, but I really enjoyed watching him on the gridiron as a 6'9" QB. 

http://www.heraldcourier.com/sports/history-with-hayes-shoemaker-paved-a-path-from-gate-city/article_c8f2f4ec-f740-11e7-91c8-df44512ca5a7.html

I doubt there has ever been a team in SWVA who could match the size of that 96 Gate City team.  I believe their starting lineup was C Jason Haynes 6-10. PF Chad Beasley 6-6 SF Jake Houseright 6-4 SG Josh Shoemaker 6-9 PG Chris Peters 6-1.  Jason Horton was 7-1 and on the bench.  He transferred to Twin Springs the next year.  Liberty Bedford was just too good for GC to ever get beyond them.

On 1/13/2018 at 8:53 AM, sixcat said:

I saw Shoemaker play both football and basketball in high school against my younger brother.  Very talented athlete. Being the guy who replaced Tim Duncan at Wake is something he can tell his grandkids someday. 

Joe Stiltner was also a starter for an ACC program at NC State at a time when they were competitive on a national level.

I graduated the same year as Shoemaker. He was a pretty good baseball player too. We first played against each other in LL All-stars in baseball and against each other in football from middle school, all thru high school. Definitely one of the top 4 athletes I played against in high school, along with J. Houseright, C. Beasley, and Boo Sensabaugh.

• 2 years later...

would love to watch a few games highlighting these players would be a great pandemic time killer..

Steve Marsee lives in Cumberland Gap Tenn..he could narrate Penningtons!!!

Make it a TV Special  those guys were Amazing!

• 2 weeks later...

So how would an All Time Scott County team from 1990 to present day do against other all time teams out there?  Maximum 15 players. 
If you can make a better team, then it’s a beast.

If you count up the total points and rebounds these guys accumulated over their careers, the titans would be tremendous 

If Scott County had a consolidated high school, quite a few of these guys would have played together   

A day like that just might not be that far off with the way the enrollments are right now. If that happens, SW Va better hold on for a crazy ride  

G. 6’1. Mac McClung - GC  2000+ puts

G. 6’3. Stacy Ervin - TS  2000+

F  6’5.  Zac Ervin - GC   2000+

F.  6’9. Josh Shoemaker - GC

F. 6’5. Jeremy Houseright - GC

Bench

G 6’2. Bradley Dean - GC   2000+

G 6’2. Jason Bishop - RC

G 6’1. Chris Peters - GC

G 6’5. Mark Dockery - TS

F 6’7. Andy Arnold - GC

F 6’4. Tony McDonald - GC

F 6’5. Chad Beasley - GC

F 6’5. Justin Seaver - GC

F 6’4  Austen Arnold - GC

F 6’7. Tyler Webb - TS

4 hours ago, BlueDevil4Life2008 said:

So how would an All Time Scott County team from 1990 to present day do against other all time teams out there?  Maximum 15 players. 

If you count up the total points and rebounds these guys accumulated over their careers, the titans would be tremendous 

If Scott County had a consolidated high school, quite a few of these guys would have played together   

A day like that just might not be that far off with the way the enrollments are right now. If that happens, SW Va better hold on for a crazy ride  

Bench

G 6’2. Jason Bishop - RC

G 6’1. Chris Peters - GC

G 6’5. Mark Dockery - TS

F 6’7. Andy Arnold - GC

F 6’5. Chad Beasley - GC

F 6’7. Tyler Webb - TS

Webb would probably start over Jeremy.  Also I would trade out Beasley for Adam Hood.  6-2 had 2.033 points while playing at Rye Cove.

5 hours ago, BlueDevil4Life2008 said:

Bench

G 6’2. Jason Bishop - RC

G 6’1. Chris Peters - GC

G 6’5. Mark Dockery - TS

F 6’7. Andy Arnold - GC

F 6’5. Chad Beasley - GC

F 6’7. Tyler Webb - TS

No Jessee McMurray?

Jesse was a heckuva ballplayer too.  Could probably drop Chris Peters for Jesse.  Finding a spot for Matt Bays would be worthwhile also.  If I was building a team I would have preferred starting with him over Stacy looking at that 97 TS team.  I don't mean it as a knock but Matt could do it all on both ends of the floor and was a true floor general.

On 8/21/2020 at 1:44 PM, BlueDevil4Life2008 said:

Bench

G 6’2. Jason Bishop - RC

G 6’1. Chris Peters - GC

G 6’5. Mark Dockery - TS

F 6’7. Andy Arnold - GC

F 6’5. Chad Beasley - GC

F 6’7. Tyler Webb - TS

I would take Houseright and Shoemaker out of the starting lineup. Both had good size but there were better basketball players ahead of them. I would add Shannon Carter from Gate City to this list. He was really tough. 

Good call on Carter.  I would have a hard time taking someone who started for an ACC school shortly after basically playing G in HS to C in the ACC.  GC had so much size on those teams Shoe played a lot on the perimeter if memory serves me correctly.  

17 hours ago, 1inStripes said:

Good call on Carter.  I would have a hard time taking someone who started for an ACC school shortly after basically playing G in HS to C in the ACC.  GC had so much size on those teams Shoe played a lot on the perimeter if memory serves me correctly.  

They did have a lot of size but they were mostly football players who went out for basketball to stay in shape. Shoemaker played guard for Gate City but he wasn't a threat from the outside which is why I would take him off the starting 5. His size & potential got him the Wake Forest scholarship but Dockery and Hood had a better high school career as far as stats go. 

7 hours ago, Widespread_Panic said:

They did have a lot of size but they were mostly football players who went out for basketball to stay in shape. Shoemaker played guard for Gate City but he wasn't a threat from the outside which is why I would take him off the starting 5. His size & potential got him the Wake Forest scholarship but Dockery and Hood had a better high school career as far as stats go. 

I agree with all of that.  Its odd to see a HS that has a starting 5 bigger than some a lot of mid majors, but that was GC at that time.  You had 3 kids at GC who went to D1 basketball programs in 95-96 if I am not mistaken.  Shoemaker was the best of the 3, but size had a lot to do with each being D1.

19 hours ago, 1inStripes said:

I agree with all of that.  Its odd to see a HS that has a starting 5 bigger than some a lot of mid majors, but that was GC at that time.  You had 3 kids at GC who went to D1 basketball programs in 95-96 if I am not mistaken.  Shoemaker was the best of the 3, but size had a lot to do with each being D1.

Shoemaker went to Wake Forest for basketball. Houseright and Beasley went to VT for football.