An early look into the 2018 season

Bearcat Dad

37 minutes ago, 1inStripes said:

I heard Richlands pitcher that lead them to state last year injured her knee.  If so, I hope she has a speedy recovery.  

She did. Tore her ACL in basketball from what I was told. Don't know that she will be able to get back in time for the season. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/13/2018 at 3:09 PM, cityofRaven said:

They're hopeful by mid-season she'll be back.

Sorry to hear this.  Richlands had a legitimate chance to bring home a state title this year.  I'd be very surprised if she returns with the same effectiveness this season.

On 2/5/2018 at 6:01 PM, Bearcat Dad said:

I'm glad to see that you know so much about the VHS baseball team. I'll play along for a little while because I'm bored. Since you graced us with "A-Town" knowledge on VHS baseball, I'll return the favor and answer your question in your previous post about whether or not your Falcons can make a run in 3A. The answer is easily a "No". You guys have no pitching. It's why you can't make it any farther than you have. You have a tremendous middle infield, a hitter returning from injury, who is dynamic at the plate, and you should have the strongest Top 5 in a batting order in the region. You guys will score a bunch of runs staying in a 2A district, but will meet the usual fate in the playoffs, without a whiff of a State title game.

As far as Tazewell goes, yes they will have a good team that includes the region's top pitcher. District winner doesn't always mean best team in the District. For example, in the 2016 season, VHS went undefeated in Conference play. They loaded their schedule with stronger non-conference games. Grayson County won the conference with one loss.....to VHS. VHS also beat GC in the Conference tournament championship game AND in the Regional championship game. GC made it to the final 4 that year, along with VHS. They had a really good team, but only the 2nd best team in the Conference.

I stand by my assessment of this year's VHS baseball team, and yes they have a number of kids who won't start, that can start for a MAJORITY of teams in our region. 

As for the Falcons making a run in the playoffs.  Does anyone really know?  Should they?  I would say yes they should.  They have the pieces to make a run.  They have the talent to make a run.  But as anyone who knows baseball would say "Baseball, its a funny game and just when you think everything is in place, something happens." 

By all accounts that statement is incorrect.  AHS should and will be pretty deep on the mound this year.  Several senior and junior arms that have seen plenty of mound time the past couple of years.  Not to mention there is some real talent coming through the JV ranks

That statement is unfair and you are just shooting digs.  You know as well as everyone else that Abingdon has no choice in that matter and they are the only 3A school this side of Christiansburg.  Travel cost would be astronomical trying to play a total 3A/4A schedule.  Besides VHSL put them in the M7 district.

Let's all hope for a solid season, no injuries, and watch some quality baseball in SWVA.

2 hours ago, Falcon Mania said:

Besides VHSL put them in the M7 district.

I don't have a horse in this race, but the VHSL did not put them in the M7 district.  They chose that district and then it was probably voted on by the M7 to decide whether to allow them in it.  The VHSL does not place people in districts, unless a decision cannot be made and then they made intercede. 

4 hours ago, Falcon Mania said:

As for the Falcons making a run in the playoffs.  Does anyone really know?  Should they?  I would say yes they should.  They have the pieces to make a run.  They have the talent to make a run.  But as anyone who knows baseball would say "Baseball, its a funny game and just when you think everything is in place, something happens." 

By all accounts that statement is incorrect.  AHS should and will be pretty deep on the mound this year.  Several senior and junior arms that have seen plenty of mound time the past couple of years.  Not to mention there is some real talent coming through the JV ranks

That statement is unfair and you are just shooting digs.  You know as well as everyone else that Abingdon has no choice in that matter and they are the only 3A school this side of Christiansburg.  Travel cost would be astronomical trying to play a total 3A/4A schedule.  Besides VHSL put them in the M7 district.

Let's all hope for a solid season, no injuries, and watch some quality baseball in SWVA.

As I stated, the Falcons are tremendously talented. The only slight I gave them was pitching.

I will explain from my side, why I disagree with your red and blue statements

1) They do have a few kids with live arms. I mentioned that in an earlier post. I'm sure we are talking about the same boys. None of those D1 boys will be pitching at the next level. That's not the slight itself. They are all tremendous ball players. The slight is whether or not their pitching is good enough to go on a run in the playoffs, to answer the question of AHSCoach.

Over the last 30 years, I've seen what kind of pitching it takes to make deep runs in the playoffs. With 10 State Championship appearances in the last 35 years, at VHS, we've had our share of pitchers come thru the program and pitch at the next level, both collegiately and professionally. This Abingdon group has everything else you can ask for on a baseball team, except for a stable rotation of pitchers. A few are experienced, but none are great. That's why over the last couple of years, the Falcons have lost to Tn. High, Greeneville, teams from NC, and why they have not advanced very far in the playoffs. When they play teams that have the pitching to at least slow down that great hitting line-up, they struggle, just like the game we won last year. It was the only time our ace pitched against them, and a Sophomore for VHS, walked the game off against the D1 player going to the biggest school of all of the D1 commits. Pitching is the biggest difference when comparing smaller schools to bigger schools, most of the time. That's why VHS has left the area, each Spring Break, for the last 2 decades or so, is to see where they really are. That's why they scrimmage teams like DB, Hidden Valley, and other bigger schools.

I will root for every one of those Falcons to have success at the next level. I don't believe any of them will, as a pitcher.

2) Your claim that my statement is unfair, may be true, but it's a fact. Your claim that I'm "shooting digs" is absolutely wrong.

Nowhere in my post, did I say that Abingdon chose to be in the M7. I believe if this group of Falcons were playing in a 3A district, they would score a ton of runs as well. They will be even more devastating to most 2A teams. They would be exponentially more devastating to a 1A District. I already stated my opinion on their tremendous line-up. 

As per your last statement, we actually are in complete agreement. Good luck to the Falcons, and the rest of SWVA. Stay healthy, have fun, and PLAY BALL!

On 2/21/2018 at 10:09 PM, Weatherman said:

Sorry to hear this.  Richlands had a legitimate chance to bring home a state title this year.  I'd be very surprised if she returns with the same effectiveness this season.

I guess Richlands has a chance but didn’t Madison County return their entire team from last years state championship team?

56 minutes ago, Bearcat Bob said:

I guess Richlands has a chance but didn’t Madison County return their entire team from last years state championship team?

Yeah. That team was almost entirely Juniors and Richlands was 7 freshmen. Those two could battle for a title for the next few years. 

On 3/2/2018 at 10:11 AM, Ryan4VT said:

Yeah. That team was almost entirely Juniors and Richlands was 7 freshmen. Those two could battle for a title for the next few years. 

Looking at the state program and it looks like Madison started 6 freshmen 2 sophomores and one senior last year. 

And Nottoway returns 7 starters. They were reportedly the best team Madison played last year. Their game went 12 innings in the playoffs so there are a lot of top quality young teams in softball. 

15 hours ago, Bearcat Bob said:

Looking at the state program and it looks like Madison started 6 freshmen 2 sophomores and one senior last year. 

Maybe it was Nottoway I was thinking of. 

On 1/8/2018 at 7:06 AM, Bearcat Dad said:

Yeah, the girls from Richlands definitely have an opportunity to be special.

Those girls have played travel ball together for years. They should go all the way if their pitcher is healthy. They need her to win!  Mickey Mouse could coach them they're so good from all those years of playing together before they hit varsity level softball in HS. 

1 hour ago, Gridiron60 said:

Those girls have played travel ball together for years. They should go all the way if their pitcher is healthy. They need her to win!  Mickey Mouse could coach them they're so good from all those years of playing together before they hit varsity level softball in HS. 

The VHS baseball team is in a similar situation. They played together in travel for years, before coming together at the Varsity level. They are down 2 starters right now, but 1 will hopefully be back soon.

It's fun to see a group of kids work hard for so many years and come together as young men and women and have success.

Thats exactly what we are trying to do with a bunch at RC.  Played our first tourney of the year and only lost to a team out of Tazewell last week twice.  We are in 12U but only have 1 12 yr old.  That Tazewell bunch had a good pitcher and probably the best catcher I have seen for that age.  That girl could flat out pick and throw it.  

4 hours ago, 1inStripes said:

Thats exactly what we are trying to do with a bunch at RC.  Played our first tourney of the year and only lost to a team out of Tazewell last week twice.  We are in 12U but only have 1 12 yr old.  That Tazewell bunch had a good pitcher and probably the best catcher I have seen for that age.  That girl could flat out pick and throw it.  

We did the same exact thing, most of the time, when our current VHS group was 8,9, and 10 years old. We played up in a number of tournaments. At least for our group, it was very beneficial in getting them ready to take the field for VHS as young underclassmen.

We had a couple of years where some of our group went their own separate ways for a couple of years in travel ball. My son, for example, was able to play for one of the top organizations in the area, in their first 2 years of existence. He played all up and down the east coast at 12 and 13. He played up in most of those tournaments because we had an outstanding group of kids, who are now multi-year starters at schools like Abingdon, Science Hill, Greeneville, and even one who is a 2 sport standout at Baylor High School in Chattanooga. There weren't any teams in this area that could compete, so we branched out, and boy, did we ever find some competition!

Liitle league has always been a wonderful organization, and I will always support it, but I would recommend to anyone, that if you have a good group of kids that are the same age, and will be in high school together, you should definitely hit the travel circuit as much as possible. There are things kids can learn at a young age in travel ball, that they simply can't in LL.

Completely agree on that last paragraph as well. I help coach 2 teams for RCLL as well because I want to help those who do not want to put the time in almost year round because you never know when the desire may kick in to continue getting better outside of 10 weeks in a year. 

59 minutes ago, 1inStripes said:

Completely agree on that last paragraph as well. I help coach 2 teams for RCLL as well because I want to help those who do not want to put the time in almost year round because you never know when the desire may kick in to continue getting better outside of 10 weeks in a year. 

I spent 16 years on the board and coaching at Bristol LL. Made it to VP while being over a number of age groups. When I decided I couldn't give 100% to the league because my own kids were so busy, I stepped down to watch them. My daughter is a Senior, and my son is a Junior. When they are both gone off to college, I hope to get back in it one day. It's such a valuable thing for kids of all types to get involved in. Unfortunately, LL numbers are in such a steep decline in so many places, I'm not sure how it can rebound and trend upward.

For the more serious ballplayer, that will play in high school or even beyond, being a part of a travel ball team can be an awesome expeience, if you have the right group....and I don't mean kids. 🤣

Nowadays, going to the right travel tournament can give a kid way more exposure than even their own high school can. We're very fortunate at VHS to have only had 2 head coaches, with 7 combined State Championships, since the early 80s. Our current coach has connections in the baseball world from coast to coast. Most schools arent as lucky.

So many people down travel ball because of the potential expenses. Although stuff can add up quickly, us po' folk from Bristol "Balled on a budget" for years. It can be done!

While I agree with what you guys are saying, there is a fine line.  A 10 week little league season isn't sufficient in order to keep up with what everyone else is doing.  Travel ball is also an amazing experience if under the proper guidance and leadership.  But you can burn a kid out if you're not careful.

My brother lives in the Charlotte area.  His son is an avid baseball fan and loved to play.  My nephew played, on average, 300 games per year from age 5 through this past summer.  He is now 13 and isn't remotely interested in playing baseball anymore.  It wasn't a lack of talent or ability.  He was the starting catcher (just like his uncle was) and top of the order bat for a team that won close to 80% of the games they played from Virginia to Florida.  Joe Gibbs grandson and Colin Cowherd's son were members of the team so, it was well organized, well funded, with the best coaching those guys could provide.

My nephew just wanted something else out of life.  To my brother's credit, he had a conversation with my nephew about falling behind if he doesn't continue and would likely never be able to catch back up.  My brother let his son make the decision for himself.  My nephew hasn't played since November. 

2 hours ago, sixcat said:

While I agree with what you guys are saying, there is a fine line.  A 10 week little league season isn't sufficient in order to keep up with what everyone else is doing.  Travel ball is also an amazing experience if under the proper guidance and leadership.  But you can burn a kid out if you're not careful.

My brother lives in the Charlotte area.  His son is an avid baseball fan and loved to play.  My nephew played, on average, 300 games per year from age 5 through this past summer.  He is now 13 and isn't remotely interested in playing baseball anymore.  It wasn't a lack of talent or ability.  He was the starting catcher (just like his uncle was) and top of the order bat for a team that won close to 80% of the games they played from Virginia to Florida.  Joe Gibbs grandson and Colin Cowherd's son were members of the team so, it was well organized, well funded, with the best coaching those guys could provide.

My nephew just wanted something else out of life.  To my brother's credit, he had a conversation with my nephew about falling behind if he doesn't continue and would likely never be able to catch back up.  My brother let his son make the decision for himself.  My nephew hasn't played since November. 

I agree 100%. My son doesn't even touch a baseball after the season is over in June, until he starts his off-season regimen sometime in December. He is being recruited in both sports, but football is his true love. He loves baseball, but definitely not enough to play year round.

Playing one sport year round can not only hurt a kid mentally, with burnout, but can also harm them physically. I read a great article recently that talked about year round baseball. It had quotes from a number of different people in it, including world renown doctor, Dr. James Andrews. Dr. Andrews is behind Little League changing to pitch count from innings pitched, because of the staggering number of Tommy John surgeries he had preformed on kids 12 and under. Most cases were because of overuse. It also talked about how pitchers are wearing their arms out by the time they get to high school, because of overuse.

The body needs time to recover after so much time of putting it thru the repetitive movements that come with Baseball. Dr. Andrews also mentioned that pitching a baseball is "The most unnatural movement for a body part, that can hurt a child in the long run, in all of sports". 

On a lesser note of importance, most college/pro scouts prefer to see their prospect playing multiple sports. 

I read a book a few years ago by Michael Jordan’s personal trainer during his playing career. He credited Jordan’s regular participation in several sports for his longevity. He believes playing multiple sports works different areas of the body while not overworking them. 

I don’t fault my brother. He never forced my nephew to play. But in Charlotte, it’s rare for a kid to not specialize. 

1 hour ago, sixcat said:

I read a book a few years ago by Michael Jordan’s personal trainer during his playing career. He credited Jordan’s regular participation in several sports for his longevity. He believes playing multiple sports works different areas of the body while not overworking them. 

I don’t fault my brother. He never forced my nephew to play. But in Charlotte, it’s rare for a kid to not specialize. 

I will have to check that book out.

I have family in Richmond. I hear there's a lot of specializing in that area, too. 

I've heard a number of HOF athletes and coaches talk about the importance of a young athlete playing as many different sports as they can handle. One of the Braves' big guns from the 90s, actually talked about it during his HOF speech. The bad part is, my ever decreasing memory wont allow me to remember exactly who it was. I believe it was Glavine. If it's good enough for guys like that, it's definitely good enough for me.

I also read an interview with Urban Meyer a few years ago and he mentioned that if he has one scholarship to offer and two very similar recruits, but recruit A played multiple sports and recruit B specialized in just football, that he would go with recruit A every time.

1 hour ago, Bearcat Dad said:

I will have to check that book out.

I have family in Richmond. I hear there's a lot of specializing in that area, too. 

I've heard a number of HOF athletes and coaches talk about the importance of a young athlete playing as many different sports as they can handle. One of the Braves' big guns from the 90s, actually talked about it during his HOF speech. The bad part is, my ever decreasing memory wont allow me to remember exactly who it was. I believe it was Glavine. If it's good enough for guys like that, it's definitely good enough for me.

I also read an interview with Urban Meyer a few years ago and he mentioned that if he has one scholarship to offer and two very similar recruits, but recruit A played multiple sports and recruit B specialized in just football, that he would go with recruit A every time.

I believe it was Glavine. He spoke about how he snuck onto the hockey rink as a profession baseball baseball player.  He was also drafted into the NHL. 

And yes two sport athletes do impress college coaches.as long as you are good enough at the sport they are recruiting you for.if not then it doesn't matter if you play 50 sports.i think kids should play more than one for much of their childhood.but if they want to just train for and play just one once they get in high school. their is nothing wrong with that.plenty of kids have done that.especially in baseball and made it somewhere.they shouldn't play baseball year round but they can train for it year round.big difference