An early look into the 2018 season

Bearcat Dad

7 hours ago, Doofus said:

If you can throw 95 off the mound or hit the ball 450 feet or run a 6.5 60 scouts ain't gonna say."oh you didn't play more than one sport." "we can't use ya"

I don't recall anyone suggesting otherwise!?!?!  But in our "Little League Dad" society, kids are often compelled to specialize at far too young an age.  Especially in larger, more populated areas of the country.  Like my nephew, who loves baseball but grew to view it as a chore that had to be completed rather than a game he enjoyed playing.  

17 hours ago, sixcat said:

While I agree with what you guys are saying, there is a fine line.  A 10 week little league season isn't sufficient in order to keep up with what everyone else is doing.  Travel ball is also an amazing experience if under the proper guidance and leadership.  But you can burn a kid out if you're not careful.

My brother lives in the Charlotte area.  His son is an avid baseball fan and loved to play.  My nephew played, on average, 300 games per year from age 5 through this past summer.  He is now 13 and isn't remotely interested in playing baseball anymore.  It wasn't a lack of talent or ability.  He was the starting catcher (just like his uncle was) and top of the order bat for a team that won close to 80% of the games they played from Virginia to Florida.  Joe Gibbs grandson and Colin Cowherd's son were members of the team so, it was well organized, well funded, with the best coaching those guys could provide.

My nephew just wanted something else out of life.  To my brother's credit, he had a conversation with my nephew about falling behind if he doesn't continue and would likely never be able to catch back up.  My brother let his son make the decision for himself.  My nephew hasn't played since November. 

I have to strongly doubt this story, for the simple fact that a female would find Colin Cowherd appealing enough to reproduce with him.  Otherwise, it is a valid, believable cautionary tale of the rigors of childhood athletics.

1 hour ago, Doofus said:

I also don't believe the kid played 300 games a year

Why is that unreasonable?  Spring ball starts in February and runs through May.  That's a half-dozen games over the course of a weekend, every weekend, for 12 weeks. 

12 x 6 = 72 games!

The summer season begins as the spring season is concluding.  The difference between the summer season and the spring season, more teams equal more games.  From Memorial Day through Labor Day, another dozen games per weekend for 15 weeks.

15 x 12 = 180 games! 

Fall ball begins a week or so after the beginning of the school year, which is typically the day after Labor Day in Charlotte.  Not much winter weather down there.  From early September through the final tournament, which is Thanksgiving weekend in Myrtle Beach.  Another half-dozen games per week for another 12 weeks.

12 x 6 = 72 games!

72 + 180 + 72 = 324 games.

Anything else I can help you with Doofus!

Just now, Doofus said:

Don't need your help.aint buying it

Well, I guess it's good I'm not selling anything! 

For future consideration, you can hit the enter button to begin a new paragraph instead of posting three enlightening posts back-to-back-to-back.  At least that way, you don't junk the board up with mindless post after mindless post of you having a conversation with yourself.