Richlands @Graham

cityofRaven

9 hours ago, BigWinners said:

The hilarious part is how seriously the newspaper took the quote. I mean really? Couldn't figure it out with sarcasm that thick?

If you read the rest of the article he insinuates a referee conspiracy ad says he'd take his players over any others because Graham doesn't show any sportsmanship ?

1 hour ago, EH31 said:

If you read the rest of the article he insinuates a referee conspiracy ad says he'd take his players over any others because Graham doesn't show any sportsmanship ?

Spouts off all that garbage, then wants to talk about sportsmanship.  The hypocrisy is lulzy.

2 hours ago, EH31 said:

Someone please link that. That's hilarious. 

2 hours ago, EH31 said:

Gah and the BDT website sssuuuccckkkkssss. It's tough to navigate. And why do they print the first amendment at the bottom of the page?

4 hours ago, BigWinners said:

Gah and the BDT website sssuuuccckkkkssss. It's tough to navigate. And why do they print the first amendment at the bottom of the page?

BLUEFIELD, Va. — There are few teams Graham likes to beat in any sport than Richlands. They showed it on Friday night.

“We want to beat that team every time we step on the floor, that is just how it is,” Graham head coach Glynn Carlock Jr. said. “We want to beat Richlands every time we step on the floor, but the most important thing is we are 2-0 in the Southwest District.”

Darrin Martin scored 29 points and Cam Allen added 19 to lead Graham to a convincing 82-52 victory over the Blue Tornado at Graham Middle School.

“A total team effort,” Carlock said. “I thought the defense was swarming tonight. It was a nice night to be in Graham Middle School.”

It’s safe to say Richlands head coach Fred Phillips was impressed with what he saw from the G-Men.

“We caught a whirlwind. Graham talked about winning the state,” Phillips said. “They should win the state. They will kill Gate City, they are the best team I have seen...

“It is Graham’s year. They said in the preseason they are going to go all the way to state. They are on a great journey night now. They are a great team. They might as well up in Richmond go ahead and mark it on the trophy: ‘State champions.’”

There is lots of basketball left until March, but Graham (8-1, 2-0) looked the part on this night, running the floor in transition, scoring 24 and 20 points in the opening two quarters to take a 44-26 lead at the break.

Graham, which scored 19 points in each of the final two quarters, also got 12 points on four 3s off the bench from Devin Lester.

“Darrin had a great night. Darrin played Darrin’s game tonight,” Carlock said. “I was very proud. I thought Darrin and Cam played excellent. I thought we had a huge lift from Devin Lester coming off the bench with four 3s and supplying a lot of defensive intensity.

“It was a total team effort. We got 24 and 20 points in the first two quarters. We missed the 20-point quarter in the third by 1. We are right there for what our goal is for each quarter.”

Richlands (8-2, 0-2), which dropped its second straight game after winning eight in a row to open the season, was led by Cade Simmons, who had 15 points, including 13 for 16 from the free throw line. Race Moir added nine points, as did the brother duo of Caleb and Taylor Horn.

“I just wish the sportsmanship is enforced now-a-days, but it’s not,” said Phillips, whose Blues lost all five starters from last year’s SWD champions that advanced to the 2A state quarterfinals. “That is OK. We have got a bunch of great kids. I wouldn’t trade our kids for the world.”

Phillips picked up a technical foul in the first half, and was still not happy after the game.

“I just said one little thing, I didn’t cuss, I was in my coach’s box,” Phillips said. “When you get up here there is a certain referee. I have come up here for three years and it is the same one referee up here every game.

“We come up here and play and he is here. It is just not a good look, but referees didn’t beat us. Graham beat us.”

Richlands, which defeated Graham on its home court last season in the SWD meeting that counted, will travel today to Abingdon, leaving little time to soothe its wounds from the loss to the G-Men.

“We have got to. We don’t have no choice. We have a shootaround tomorrow,” Phillips said. “The first game tomorrow in Abingdon is at 2 so we have got to get in bed tonight and forget about it and keep rolling your sleeves up and play.”

Graham has to do the same, traveling today to face West Virginia AAA Greenbrier East, who the G-Men beat earlier in the season.

“A lot of energy was expelled tonight and then you have to turn around and expel a lot of energy again on a hostile court in a tough place to play,” Carlock said. “We have already played them once, beat them once.

“It was a close game for a big part of it and then we were finally able to pull away at the end. They have got some skill, they are skilled kids.”

Graham also snapped Richlands’ unbeaten junior varsity streak, defeating the Blues 48-37.

at Graham Middle School

RICHLANDS (8-2, 0-1)

Taylor Horn 2 4-6 9, Austin Lee 0 1-2 1, Caleb Horn 2 4-5 9, George Cole 3 0-0 6, Race Moir 3 3-4 9, Isaac Barnett 0 0-0 0, Cade Simmons 1 13-16 15, Cade Berry 0 0-1 0, Luke Wess 1 1-2 3. Totals 12 26-36 52.

GRAHAM (8-1, 2-0)

Darrin Martin 12 5-6 29, Drew Baker 2 0-2 4, Emil Curto 2 0-0 4, Chance Dawson 1 0-0 2, Garrett Dalton 1 2-2 4, Devin Lester 4 0-0 12, Cameron Allen 7 5-6 19, Nick Owens 1 0-0 2, Rickey White 1 0-0 2, Nick Miller 2 0-0 4, Eric Workman 0 0-0 0, Ty Gray 0 0-0 0. Totals 33 12-16 82.

Richlands.............16 10 10 16 _ 52

Graham...................24 20 19 19 _ 82

3-point goals: RL 2 (T.Horn 1, C.Horn 1); GR 4 (Lester 4). JV_Graham 48-37.

2 hours ago, local_insight said:

Graham will not beat Gate City. 

It’s not impossible, and Graham is about the only team in SWVA I’d say that about.  Graham does not play a style conducive to outpointing Gate City in a close game, and Graham would need a whale of a lot to go right. I’d say that Graham’s odds are about as good as drawing a case ace on the river in Hold-Em.

1 hour ago, UVAObserver said:

It’s not impossible, and Graham is about the only team in SWVA I’d say that about.  Graham does not play a style conducive to outpointing Gate City in a close game, and Graham would need a whale of a lot to go right. I’d say that Graham’s odds are about as good as drawing a case ace on the river in Hold-Em.

Only way Graham has even a change would be if Gate City got destroyed with injuries. 

58 minutes ago, Ryan4VT said:

Fred also sold Brian some oceanfront property in TazCo. 

Brian has been around long enough. If I was guessing I'd say Brian knew exactly what was going on but he chose to quote it directly for everyone to see since Fred wanted to give a childish response to his question. 

11 hours ago, local_insight said:

Only way Graham has even a change would be if Gate City got destroyed with injuries. 

That’s likewise untrue, but nevertheless statistically extremely unlikely.  If Graham and Gate City played 100 times, Graham would win 1-2.  The Union game is an example of what can happen if Gate City goes cold, and Graham beat Union worse than Gate City did.  That tells me that Graham’s best is better than Gate City’s worst.

35 minutes ago, UVAObserver said:

That’s likewise untrue, but nevertheless statistically extremely unlikely.  If Graham and Gate City played 100 times, Graham would win 1-2.  The Union game is an example of what can happen if Gate City goes cold, and Graham beat Union worse than Gate City did.  That tells me that Graham’s best is better than Gate City’s worst.

All that may be true,  but GC/Union is a big rivalry and they know each other like the back of their own hands. Union and Graham don’t have a history JJ basketball and don’t really know one another. That could lead to the difference in margin against Union. 

7 hours ago, Ryan4VT said:

All that may be true,  but GC/Union is a big rivalry and they know each other like the back of their own hands. Union and Graham don’t have a history JJ basketball and don’t really know one another. That could lead to the difference in margin against Union. 

And GC doesn't shoot very well at UVAW. Sucks for them since they'll likely be playing there, but Convo Center is not GCs fav place to play.

22 hours ago, Ryan4VT said:

Fred also sold Brian some oceanfront property in TazCo. 

21 hours ago, Bluefield researcher said:

With global warming you never know!!!

If Disney is underwater, I'll likely take the family to the Burke's Garden Sandals Resort

His problem is not basketball , it is the Richlands town council where he is under investigation. All public record.  He is not as smart as he thinks he is.  You can view town council meetings the second Tuesday of every month on channel 5, public access channel for spectrum.