Hold Backs for Sports in High School

BlackWolf5

Should a kid be able to hold back in the 8th grade or should they wait and be able to do it there senior year cause that's when a kid really knows if he or she is ready to go to that next level or not! Just my opinion looking to see how everyone else feels about hold backs. Think of the team Union can have if all of there seniors are able to come back for another year of school and develop!!!

At the end of the day, it should be a family decision based on what's best for the child.  I know the system gets abused to benefit athletic programs but I'm not certain anything can be done to correct that aspect of it.  

Either way, it doesn't affect my children so, to each their own, I guess.  

I have been over and over this topic with my friends and family for years. I have had a number of people from little league and travel coaches, to high school coaches, to even our former Superintendent, approach me on this topic about my son. He will graduate at 17. He will be a 4 year starter in football and baseball, will more than likely receive a number of post-season accolades for 3 of those years, and has recieved serious intrest from a number of colleges from FCS to NAIA in football, and D1a to NAIA in baseball. Even though I made my decision years ago, and I don't regret it, I still question it from time to time.

I questioned the decision a little more, when he was a 14 year old heading in to his first Varsity football season. After about 3 or 4 games, I knew he was going to be fine. I still wonder what it would have been like, had he been just a Sophomore this past fall, while leading VHS to their best season in 2 decades.

The reason we decided not to hold him back was purely for academics. He has a 3.8 GPA and no matter how much I love watching him play ball, there was no way I was going to risk stunting his academic growth, in the slightest. I'm sure he would have benefited from the extra year, physically, but he seems to be doing just fine the way things are now.

With that said, I believe every kid's situation is different. I think every family should make the decision based on what is best overall, for their kid, without any influence from anyone outside of the family.

Just my 2 cents ?

Scott County Schools allows the kid to progress on the same academic pace. If they repeat 8th grade, they take 9th grade core subjects. The student can then take upper lever or college courses their senior year. They could also take a bunch of electives \ vo  tech \ bs  classes and coast.

2 hours ago, Grapeape said:

Scott County Schools allows the kid to progress on the same academic pace. If they repeat 8th grade, they take 9th grade core subjects. The student can then take upper lever or college courses their senior year. They could also take a bunch of electives \ vo  tech \ bs  classes and coast.

This sounds extremely nice

On 1/18/2018 at 6:41 PM, Grapeape said:

In years past, in Bristol, if an athlete repeated the 8th grade, they went to an institute we had called Tri-cities Christian. They are no longer around, so I'm not sure what kids do nowadays. At least over the last few years, VHS has not really had any prominent athetes be held back, that i know of. Unless it happened well before 8th grade. We're not usually associated with holding back. We're more of the "Recruiting for baseball" type lol