GC Question

Ryan4VT

4 hours ago, Ryan4VT said:

Do you GC fans in the know happen to know what time GC will play Pulaski in the Adam Ward Classic next month? I want to go watch the game, but VT plays Miami at 2. 

I seen a news article earlier that said 3:15

1 hour ago, Beamerball said:

These tournaments get off a bit though and usually run later.

It would have to run WAY late. The tech game won’t be over until 4. Then an hour with traffic to get to Roanoke. Not gonna happen. 

12 hours ago, Grapeape said:

As I said when McClung committed there, Georgetown is little more than a name that used to be good these days.  All flash, no substance.  I am hopeful players like McClung can help turn it around, but I am not impressed with Patrick “Gold Club” Ewing’s coaching acumen.

59 minutes ago, UVAObserver said:

As I said when McClung committed there, Georgetown is little more than a name that used to be good these days.  All flash, no substance.  I am hopeful players like McClung can help turn it around, but I am not impressed with Patrick “Gold Club” Ewing’s coaching acumen.

Georgetown is just a name these days and not a lot more than that.  As a result, they hired a "name" to coach a declining program rather than hire a credible coach.  

As I have said before, I wish McClung and any other kid nothing but the best in whatever life brings them.  But it would be incredibly difficult for me to walk away from an Ivy League education if I had that option!

11 hours ago, BigWinners said:

I'm not the only person who reads Deadspin here? Cool.

Playing for Patrick Ewing will be really cool for him, even if Georgetown struggles. Playing in the Big East, GTown/Cuse, the Garden, etc... would be worth the losing.

I've slowly crept back in to reading Deadspin since I would hope enough time has passed now that every other article they write isn't a Trump hating spitfest.

And Syracuse hasn't been in the Big East for quite some time.  Lol.  The Big East is only a shell of its former self now.

3 hours ago, swva_havok_fan said:

I've slowly crept back in to reading Deadspin since I would hope enough time has passed now that every other article they write isn't a Trump hating spitfest.

And Syracuse hasn't been in the Big East for quite some time.  Lol.  The Big East is only a shell of its former self now.

He wasn't saying Cuse was in the Big East. He was saying Cuse and Georgetown play every year. It's a rivalry in basketball. 

5 hours ago, swva_havok_fan said:

That was my favorite period, all the Trump hating lol. But we prob differ politically. Ryan already pointed it out that I was saying GT/Cuse still play. You really think I wasn't aware Cuse was in ACC now? C'mon man lol

And Ewing isn't a horrible coach, it's just they have zero talent. Some of his schemes and designs are actually pretty good. He did coach in the NBA for a long time.

3 hours ago, Ryan4VT said:

He wasn't saying Cuse was in the Big East. He was saying Cuse and Georgetown play every year. It's a rivalry in basketball. 

1 hour ago, BigWinners said:

That was my favorite period, all the Trump hating lol. But we prob differ politically. Ryan already pointed it out that I was saying GT/Cuse still play. You really think I wasn't aware Cuse was in ACC now? C'mon man lol

And Ewing isn't a horrible coach, it's just they have zero talent. Some of his schemes and designs are actually pretty good. He did coach in the NBA for a long time.

Well, I wasn't aware of that Syracuse and Georgetown still play, so count me the stupid one I guess.  Lol

Yeah, I read Deadspin and their sister site "Black Flag" which covered only motorsports, but then they both started writing about Trump regularly instead of sticking to the stick and ball or racing, so I quit reading them.  That's the main thing why the only thing I watch on ESPN now is college sports... regardless of what the political view is, leave that to the mainstream news outlets.  Don't bring it into the sports world.  

3 hours ago, BigWinners said:

Ewing made 1 NBA Finals as an assistant, the year the Celtics imploded and Dwight Howard went into video game mode.  Aside from that, he’s been wholly unremarkable as an assistant.  Jury’s still out, but early returns are very poor.

Im happy for McClung if Georgetown is where he wants to spend his collegiate career and he obviously does...but i feel like Rutgers had the superior coaching staff and may be on more of an upswing that Georgetown.  They have their issues too obviously but i really am a fan of their staff. Hope im wrong and I hope Macs class brings enough talent in to swing things the other way for the Hoyas.

2 hours ago, swva_havok_fan said:

Well, I wasn't aware of that Syracuse and Georgetown still play, so count me the stupid one I guess.  Lol

Yeah, I read Deadspin and their sister site "Black Flag" which covered only motorsports, but then they both started writing about Trump regularly instead of sticking to the stick and ball or racing, so I quit reading them.  That's the main thing why the only thing I watch on ESPN now is college sports... regardless of what the political view is, leave that to the mainstream news outlets.  Don't bring it into the sports world.  

I believe they still play, I could be wrong but I thought they still scheduled each other.

I really like io9, the sci-fi/comic site in the Gizmodo network, as I'm a big nerd and love the comic stuff. I really like Deadspin bc they are afraid to go after imbeciles like Dan Snyder or Jerry Jones. They dont have to worry about having to answer to the leagues. LeBatard is really only guy left on ESPN not afraid to question the NFL, NBA or MLB. Hes a Miami guy and he went hard on Manafort for qllowing the new Marlins owners to buy the team as a revenue grab. Jalopnik is good too, it's kinda like Black Flag but strictly automotive. And some of the Deadspin writers like Dave McKenna are legit journalists and fanastic and guys like Magary are funny.

Black Flag did a great job covering the whole Tony Stewart murder stuff. 

17 minutes ago, UVAObserver said:

Ewing made 1 NBA Finals as an assistant, the year the Celtics imploded and Dwight Howard went into video game mode.  Aside from that, he’s been wholly unremarkable as an assistant.  Jury’s still out, but early returns are very poor.

But he did great work trying to refine Howard's game. After Hakeem, a lot of people viewed Ewing as one of the best mentors for young post players.

He hasn't been impressive so far, but it's still really early.

Among the usual McClung/GC hating, J-ville radio with a brilliant scouting report:  GC's coach should be concerned because teams from "up north" will see McClung and Ervin doing all the scoring and just shut those two down.

13 hours ago, swva_havok_fan said:

Maybe so, but it is still pretty good basketball...

2 hours ago, Beamerball said:

Among the usual McClung/GC hating, J-ville radio with a brilliant scouting report:  GC's coach should be concerned because teams from "up north" will see McClung and Ervin doing all the scoring and just shut those two down.

It's just that easy right? Lol

A triangle and two always works so seamlessly lol.

They said at the end of the game that they weren't hating on GC, just telling the truth.  Said GC won't get so many easy layups against teams in the playoffs.  I'm thinking, "really?  You think so?" lol.  Quite the expert analysis there.  IMO need to watch them against someone other than Lee.  Actually, to be honest, he was effectively putting down Lee more by it all.  I don't know if they realize the competition GC faced in the Arby's or not.  I'll give you some of his wisdom on McClung:  Early in the game, said would he be better if he didn't show boat so much...he wouldn't be Georgetown worthy good, but "pretty dang good".   Most of his scoring was on layups and he wouldn't be getting those at Georgetown.  After missing a three pointer on his second attempt in the game he said McClung is prone to missing three's, then on a successful three point shot late in the game the comment was made about it being uncontested and that's how most of his shots were.  They continually praised Ervin in saying he was the real leader and should be getting the D1 looks instead.  The entire game they mocked the size of the crowd noting it wasn't sold out like was rumored.  Sadly I think that was worse for Lee's sake, not many were interested in seeing that one.  You get the same kind of stuff during broadcasts of games with Union and some other teams.  I just want to hear the game called respectively.  It's not bad at all without the bonus negative commentary.   If I recall right, there was a movement last year or so from some Lee faithful to have this person removed from broadcasting some of the girls games.

3 hours ago, Beamerball said:

They said at the end of the game that they weren't hating on GC, just telling the truth.  Said GC won't get so many easy layups against teams in the playoffs.  I'm thinking, "really?  You think so?" lol.  Quite the expert analysis there.  IMO need to watch them against someone other than Lee.  Actually, to be honest, he was effectively putting down Lee more by it all.  I don't know if they realize the competition GC faced in the Arby's or not.  I'll give you some of his wisdom on McClung:  Early in the game, said would he be better if he didn't show boat so much...he wouldn't be Georgetown worthy good, but "pretty dang good".   Most of his scoring was on layups and he wouldn't be getting those at Georgetown.  After missing a three pointer on his second attempt in the game he said McClung is prone to missing three's, then on a successful three point shot late in the game the comment was made about it being uncontested and that's how most of his shots were.  They continually praised Ervin in saying he was the real leader and should be getting the D1 looks instead.  The entire game they mocked the size of the crowd noting it wasn't sold out like was rumored.  Sadly I think that was worse for Lee's sake, not many were interested in seeing that one.  You get the same kind of stuff during broadcasts of games with Union and some other teams.  I just want to hear the game called respectively.  It's not bad at all without the bonus negative commentary.   If I recall right, there was a movement last year or so from some Lee faithful to have this person removed from broadcasting some of the girls games.

Yeah that person has absolutely no business calling games if they're gonna put down HS kids. That's a shitty thing to do. Broadcasters are supposed to call the game and be as neutral as possible.