Union @ Richlands

Ryan4VT

Girls need a win after letting RV claw back and win.  Should never lose a game you lead 15-2 at end of one.

The Union boys are playing decent enough, hopefully they can get a road win against a decent team. If Union wins, what will Phillips say to the BDT? lol

9 minutes ago, BigWinners said:

If Union wins, what will Phillips say to the BDT? lol

I would assume praise. Graham is a whole different animal. There's no love lost between the two schools and fanbases. Richlands and Union get along great. 

33 minutes ago, Ryan4VT said:

I would assume praise. Graham is a whole different animal. There's no love lost between the two schools and fanbases. Richlands and Union get along great. 

That's true. It's a very competitive but friendly rivalry. 

Girls seem to be playing well, the press has flummoxed the Lady Blues and the shots are falling.

1 hour ago, Ryan4VT said:

63-39 final. Mitchell had 22 and 13. At least we only play him one more time ever...

In the win over RV, he just had two lol. He must have used his athleticism to get to the paint, he's not a great shooter.

I'm jus sad imaging how much better this team is w Wes Slagle. Not GC-good or close to it, but I think clearly second best M7 team if he's healthy. After GC, Union could've been closed with Graham and Grayson if Slagle is healthy. But impressed by how well Union has played without him. The freshman Rasnic, Garrison and Gibson are fairing much better than I thought. Rasnic is gonna be a good ball player. 

I agree that Union has played fairly well without Slagle but IMO they wouldn’t have been much better with him. Different yes, more consistent maybe. I think him being out has made some other guys step up. It seems we have a different leading scorer in each game. Slagle being out has showed that we have 7-8 guys that can contribute.  If Slagle is healthy I don’t see Rasnick getting as many looks as he has for sure. I can see them making things interesting come tourney time. 

45 minutes ago, BigWinners said:

On different note, what's up with Richlands? I never dreamed that both big two sports would be such down years. Is it a lack of talent?

It’s a cycle. You had a senior class last year that was one of the best to come through all around, and now they are paying for it. I think this basketball team has potential. Not winnnibg the district or anything, but potential nonetheless. They’ve just never played together. When you have the senior class that started every game of their entire career, it’s hard to get the backups good reps. 

As for football, if you put the 2016 schedule in front of this year’s team, they go 7-3. But it’s hard to win games when your 6 regular season losses came to teams a combined 54-6 lol. 

35 minutes ago, GoBearsGo said:

I agree that Union has played fairly well without Slagle but IMO they wouldn’t have been much better with him. Different yes, more consistent maybe. I think him being out has made some other guys step up. It seems we have a different leading scorer in each game. Slagle being out has showed that we have 7-8 guys that can contribute.  If Slagle is healthy I don’t see Rasnick getting as many looks as he has for sure. I can see them making things interesting come tourney time. 

That's absolutely crazy. Take away any teams leading scorer, a genuine inside-out threat, they will suffer. Slagle was a knock down shooter from distance, was a good ball handler and a reliable post scorer. He was one of the 5-6 best players in the M7. He does everything Rasnic does while being at least six inches taller. The biggest weakness the Union team has is the interior game. Slagle would be a defensive presence inside and help with rebounding. Union has played well but they aren't a threat to make noise outside the conference.

8 hours ago, BigWinners said:

That's absolutely crazy. Take away any teams leading scorer, a genuine inside-out threat, they will suffer. Slagle was a knock down shooter from distance, was a good ball handler and a reliable post scorer. He was one of the 5-6 best players in the M7. He does everything Rasnic does while being at least six inches taller. The biggest weakness the Union team has is the interior game. Slagle would be a defensive presence inside and help with rebounding. Union has played well but they aren't a threat to make noise outside the conference.

Call it what you want but the fact of the matter is their record would more than likely be the exact same if he had stayed healthy. He’s one of the best to come through UHS for sure, I’ve watched him play since 4th grade. My point isn’t downplaying him, it’s that there are still talented kids that have picked up the slack.

5 hours ago, GoBearsGo said:

Call it what you want but the fact of the matter is their record would more than likely be the exact same if he had stayed healthy. He’s one of the best to come through UHS for sure, I’ve watched him play since 4th grade. My point isn’t downplaying him, it’s that there are still talented kids that have picked up the slack.

Doubtful. The first Eastside game and the TN High game likely end differently if Slagle plays. You said the team wouldn't be better with him, that's jus false. Other kids have stepped up and Union hasn't fallen off a cliff that's true, but any team losing it's leading scorer would suffer.

8 minutes ago, BigWinners said:

Doubtful. The first Eastside game and the TN High game likely end differently if Slagle plays. You said the team wouldn't be better with him, that's jus false. Other kids have stepped up and Union hasn't fallen off a cliff that's true, but any team losing it's leading scorer would suffer.

Slagle did play the TN High game. I think we are making the same observation, just in different ways. I’ve not missed a game this season, it’s been good to see them rebound after losing their leader. A lot of other teams would have tucked their tail and gave up. 

6 hours ago, GoBearsGo said:

Slagle did play the TN High game. I think we are making the same observation, just in different ways. I’ve not missed a game this season, it’s been good to see them rebound after losing their leader. A lot of other teams would have tucked their tail and gave up. 

I thought the Eastside game was before TN High my bad. Union doesn't beat GC with him, and probably not at Graham either, but after that all the losses were winnable games. 

With Mitchell on the floor, the Bears will never give up, they respect him too much and he doesn't have an ounce of quit in him. But the lack of interior defense and post scoring means almost all of Unions points come from the guards on the perimeter or driving in the lane. More athletic teams can shut down Gibson, Garrison and Rasnic and really cause Union to struggle to score. With Wes, you could always go to him and he could make his own shot against most defenders. That's the biggest loss for them, his instant offense. Gibson's a great shooter, Garrison can shoot and has shown more athleticism driving in lane than I thought and Rasnic has played very well for his first year and shown he can get to basket but all three aren't really capable of taking over a game. It's made Union more diverse, having to work to get open looks, but against great teams with good defense the offense can be stagnant. Mitchell does so many things so well but he isn't a natural scorer. He isn't a good shooter from any sort of distance and has to be around the rim to be a consistent scorer. 

There isn't much separation after GC in M7 or after GC, Graham and Grayson in Region D so Union could beat any of the second tier on a given night but the flip side is they could lose to that glut of teams, Abingdon, Wise, Battle, etc...

I riding with ya that whole post. Especially the last sentence. That’s why I mentioned they could make tourney time interesting. They could be out the first round or play GC in the regional finals depending on how things shake out and what team shows up. 

On 1/20/2018 at 6:06 PM, Ryan4VT said:

I'm glad to see Richlands boys picked Union back up , playing single teams all the time doesn't really improve their game but playing Union will help in the long run. Play up instead of down