GC games being broadcast live this Friday and Saturday

EH31

From BALLISLIFE’s Facebook post -

😳 Mac McClung 😳

We're excited to bring you not one, but TWO Mac McClung games LIVE this Friday and Saturday, broadcasted for free as part of the Ballislife Basketball Weekly Showcase!! Links below

Friday 7:45PM EST, Gate City (VA) vs. Union (VA): http://bit.ly/2DAlAaR
Satuday 6PM EST, Gate City (VA) vs. Cleveland (TN): http://bit.ly/2rEzvqO

On 1/27/2018 at 4:34 PM, BigWinners said:

Totally OT, but hey @UVAObserver, is this the year UVA makes a Final Four run and contends for a title? To go to Duke and win when Bagley has such a monster day was impressive. UVA has had some good teams but never any make a serious run since like Sampson. Is this the year?

I think so.  The defense is so dominant that we’re winning when shooting 39% from the field against the #4 team in the nation on their home floor.  Had we made a few shots that were truly wide open, that game is a blowout.  

So long as major injuries stay at bay,  we should be in fantastic shape moving forward.  This team knew “who it was” very early on, and the rotation was almost self-evident by Game #2.  The chemistry between the guys is unbelievably strong.  We have an inside presence this year, even if it’s more dribble-drive than true post offense.

I’d rather not see Michigan State again, but none of the other teams I see really concern me in a tournament setting.  These are the good old days.

8 hours ago, BigWinners said:

I hope they do, the Hoos deserve it. 

What's your opinion on Bama basketball? Can they win a game or two in NCAAT? They shut down Young for OU and Sexton outplayed him.

Bama is awfully inconsistent, which I attribute to them having the 3rd-youngest roster in the NCAA.  Sexton is a horse, but probably heading to be NBA this season or next.

Presuming Alabama makes it there, winning 1-2 games in the Tournament isn’t a stretch with good matchups.

1 hour ago, UVAObserver said:

Bama is awfully inconsistent, which I attribute to them having the 3rd-youngest roster in the NCAA.  Sexton is a horse, but probably heading to be NBA this season or next.

Presuming Alabama makes it there, winning 1-2 games in the Tournament isn’t a stretch with good matchups.

Sexton is gone, done deal. But we did beat Auburn without him. 

Bama has incredible length, but shooting woes continue. Aside from Petty, no one can consistently hit threes. But the length is insane. Ingram, Key, Jones, etc.. are super long ND athletic. Bama is in good shape, 3 wins over top 25 (AU, OU, URI). Avery is doing a fantastic job there. The conference as a whole is loaded with elite coaches. 

Basically every site that tracks conference RPI has SEC third behind B12 and ACC, and it's a thin margin between two and three. SEC lacks a top 5-8 team but has eight teams in top 50ish. Could send eight with some elite wins. Wins over Purdue, at WVU, Oklahoma, Rhode Island, Florida had Duke beat and gave it away, Vandy beat TCU, Bama had Zona beat in Tempe but gave it away, A&M beat WVU, USC and OK State, UF beat Cincy and Gonzaga, UK routed Louisville and VT, I'm sure there's more.

1 hour ago, BigWinners said:

Bama has incredible length, but shooting woes continue. Aside from Petty, no one can consistently hit threes. But the length is insane. Ingram, Key, Jones, etc.. are super long ND athletic. Bama is in good shape, 3 wins over top 25 (AU, OU, URI). Avery is doing a fantastic job there. The conference as a whole is loaded with elite coaches. 

Basically every site that tracks conference RPI has SEC third behind B12 and ACC, and it's a thin margin between two and three. SEC lacks a top 5-8 team but has eight teams in top 50ish. Could send eight with some elite wins. Wins over Purdue, at WVU, Oklahoma, Rhode Island, Florida had Duke beat and gave it away, Vandy beat TCU, Bama had Zona beat in Tempe but gave it away, A&M beat WVU, USC and OK State, UF beat Cincy and Gonzaga, UK routed Louisville and VT, I'm sure there's more.

Been a fantastic year for the SEC on the whole.  Kinda reminds me of some of the Big Ten years of late...no Top 10 teams but a whole slew of teams between 10-50 that are scurrying for NCAA bids.  I think 7 would be reasonable, 8 isn’t out of the question.

I would like to see a larger sample size with Avery Johnson, but I think early returns are good.

2 hours ago, BigWinners said:

It's a stretch to think UK "routed" VT, but they did win the game. 

27 minutes ago, UVAObserver said:

Been a fantastic year for the SEC on the whole.  Kinda reminds me of some of the Big Ten years of late...no Top 10 teams but a whole slew of teams between 10-50 that are scurrying for NCAA bids.  I think 7 would be reasonable, 8 isn’t out of the question.

I would like to see a larger sample size with Avery Johnson, but I think early returns are good.

He isn't a master strategist but he's a great recruiter and the kids really seem to like him. I wasn't sure about his son playing so much but AJ JR def deserves his PT.

1 hour ago, BigWinners said:

It was like a 7-8 point win but game was never in doubt. 

Did we watch the same game? UK never had a lead larger than 8 points and that was with 3 minutes to go in the game. Tech led by 6 at halftime and Tech had a largest lead of 8 points as well. VT outplayed UK up one side and down the other in the first half. Tech shot 58% compared to UK's 48%. Tech actually out rebounded UK on the defensive glass, but got out rebounded on the offensive glass, which is par for the course. The game was lost in the turnovers and UK's points off of those turnovers. But to say that the game was never in doubt is crazy. lol

I met Avery Johnson at my wife's office in Galax a couple of years ago.  He got off of Route 58 one entrance too soon for his hotel and came into her office asking how to get over to the Hampton Inn.  He was in town recruiting Braxton Key at Oak Hill Academy.  He was as nice and personable as he comes off on TV.

I've actually met a dozen or so major D1 coaches in town to recruit kids from Oak Hill.  Pete Gillen was easily the best, though.  Driving his 20 year old Honda Civic with 300k on the odometer.  He is a funny guy!

5 hours ago, sixcat said:

I met Avery Johnson at my wife's office in Galax a couple of years ago.  He got off of Route 58 one entrance too soon for his hotel and came into her office asking how to get over to the Hampton Inn.  He was in town recruiting Braxton Key at Oak Hill Academy.  He was as nice and personable as he comes off on TV.

I've actually met a dozen or so major D1 coaches in town to recruit kids from Oak Hill.  Pete Gillen was easily the best, though.  Driving his 20 year old Honda Civic with 300k on the odometer.  He is a funny guy!

Ol’ Pete is a genuinely wonderful person.  Incredible one-liners to boot.  Still lives in Charlottesville.  Just didn’t win enough, especially in conference.  A shame.