Region 2D power points

swva_havok_fan

So, I was talking to an assistant coach in the region last night who I am good friends with, who gave me the supposed formula for calculating the basketball power points.  For Region D anyway.

Using the formula he gave me and the schedules and results that @Beamerball has posted, I have come up with my best guess as to what the 2D power points are as he we head down the home stretch of games.

These are as of completion of the Ridgeview/Union game from last night.

Couple of notes:  I guessed at a lot of the out of state opponents, especially Gate City's Arby's opponents and Central girl's Disney opponents.  Also, I am basing this off of an average like football and not the total number of points, because there is no way all teams are going to play the same number of games.

Region 2D Boys (as of 1/30/18):

1. Gate City               156            9.17647
  2. Graham                  88             5.5
  3. John Battle             72             4.5
  4. Grayson County     84             4.42105
  5. Union                      75             4.41176
  6. Richlands               65             4.0625
  7. Lebanon                 66             3.66667
  8. Wise Central           60             3.52941
  9. Marion                    62             3.44444
  10. Virginia High           55             3.23529
  11. Ridgeview               51             3.0
  12. Lee High                 32             2.13333
  13. Tazewell                  29            1.93333

Region 2D Girls (as of 1/30/18):

1. Wise Central          101            5.61111
  2. Ridgeview                80            4.44444
  3. Virginia High            63            4.2
  4. Lebanon                   74            4.11111
  5. Gate City                  72            4.0
  6. Union                        68            4.0
  7. Tazewell                    52           3.25
  8. John Battle                45           2.8125
  9. Marion                       36           2.76923
  10. Richlands                  42           2.47059
  11. Graham                     41           2.41176
  12. Grayson County        39           2.05263
  13. Lee High                    34           2.0

Thanks for the info looking at the current points and remaining schedules spots 3 through 6 are going to be decided by 2 or 3 points

This is how I see the seating at the standing at year end for Girls at least

1) Central has 3 tough Games left but do not look to be caught by anyone

2) Ridgeview 2 Tough games left

3) Lebanon only 1 tough game left and 3 that should be wins

4) VHS - Easiest end of year schedule with 1 Tough game and 5 that they should finish no worse that 4-1 with

5) Union - If they finish 3-2 the rest of the way they will finish here but and upset over Central or Abington could get them up to #3

6) GC - finishing up 2-2 or better can move them up to #2 or #3

7) Tazewell - finishing the season 5-1 is doable but as loaded as there schedule is with 1A teams I don't see them able to move up in points any

8) Battle - 2-4 is how I see the rest of there schedule and to move up I think they would have to go at least 5-1 and I do not think that is possable

My friend just told me that only up to 4 teams from 1 district can make it, so it looks like Battle girls is out of luck even if they do finish in the top 8 overall.  So, I am guessing if that is the case then that leaves Marion and Richlands and Graham going for the last spot.

Also of note is apparently there are no "rider" or bonus points in play with this particular system either for opponent's W/L.  Just 3 points per win X class (1A = 3 points, 2A = 6 points etc.) and 1 point per loss X class (1A = 1 point, 2A = 2 points, etc.)

The System is like this Bc Grayson is a 2A in no man’s land. They won’t play in s w district due to travel. Abingdon is only 3a this side of Blacksburg and Christiansburg . Vhsl granted them travel related exemptions. 

22 minutes ago, pvfan said:

I'm not sure if this is accurate or not but how any team that is fourth in their own district and third in the region is baffling to say the least.

Same way Ridgeview can be #1 in the power points in football for several weeks, even though they were second in the district.  Lol

In this situation though, I believe it is because Battle has played one less game and has one less loss than Union.

2 minutes ago, BrotherNero said:

The System is like this Bc Grayson is a 2A in no man’s land. They won’t play in s w district due to travel. Abingdon is only 3a this side of Blacksburg and Christiansburg . Vhsl granted them travel related exemptions. 

I'm not sure how you can consider Grayson in "no man's land"?  Grayson was in Region D when I was in high school from 1988 through 1992.  I could easily make the argument, from the mid 90's through a few years ago, Grayson was in the wrong region and should have been in region D all along.  Here is a list of travel distances for comparison.

Class 2, Region C: Buckingham (215 miles), Appomattox (195 miles), Chatham (126 miles), Dan River (134 miles), Gretna (135 miles), James River (130 miles),  Nelson (195 miles), Floyd (55 miles), Fort Chiswell (42 miles), Giles (85 miles), Glenvar (97 miles), Martinsville (91 miles) and Radford (71 miles) for a total of 1,571 miles.  

Class 2, Region D: Battle (72 miles), Central (116 miles), Gate City (103 miles), Graham (67 miles), Lebanon (86 miles), Lee (140 miles), Marion (42 miles), Richlands (101 miles), Ridgeview (122 miles), Tazewell (72 miles), Union (124 miles), Virginia (77 miles) for a total of 1,122 miles.

A 500 mile difference in expected travel between the two regions from Grayson County High School is significant.  Grayson County may not have wanted the added travel for district play in the SW District, but they absolutely belong in Region D.

Welcome to the board and enjoy the community.  But remember, this site is filled with some knowledgeable people who aren't afraid to call bullshit when they see it.

12 minutes ago, sixcat said:

I'm not sure how you can consider Grayson in "no man's land"?  Grayson was in Region D when I was in high school from 1988 through 1992.  I could easily make the argument, from the mid 90's through a few years ago, Grayson was in the wrong region and should have been in region D all along.  Here is a list of travel distances for comparison.

Class 2, Region C: Buckingham (215 miles), Appomattox (195 miles), Chatham (126 miles), Dan River (134 miles), Gretna (135 miles), James River (130 miles),  Nelson (195 miles), Floyd (55 miles), Fort Chiswell (42 miles), Giles (85 miles), Glenvar (97 miles), Martinsville (91 miles) and Radford (71 miles) for a total of 1,571 miles.  

Class 2, Region D: Battle (72 miles), Central (116 miles), Gate City (103 miles), Graham (67 miles), Lebanon (86 miles), Lee (140 miles), Marion (42 miles), Richlands (101 miles), Ridgeview (122 miles), Tazewell (72 miles), Union (124 miles), Virginia (77 miles) for a total of 1,122 miles.

A 500 mile difference in expected travel between the two regions from Grayson County High School is significant.  Grayson County may not have wanted the added travel for district play in the SW District, but they absolutely belong in Region D.

Welcome to the board and enjoy the community.  But remember, this site is filled with some knowledgeable people who aren't afraid to call bullshit when they see it.

I could be wrong, but I think he was trying to say that Grayson was in a weird place because they're the only team in their district that is in Region D, meaning they have an easier path to playoffs. Because they don't play the SWD slate, they don't have to worry about the "4 team rule." That's still a major problem with mixed class districts. Several VHSL activities that have three rounds of competition have had to invent "subregions" so that a school like Grayson in the MED or Abingdon in the M7 doesn't get a free pass into the regional tournament because there's no competition in their district.

But then again, it was all just kind of a declaratory statement, so I'm not 100% what the meaning of any of it was. 

What I was given before the season basically had points awarded for district finish (regular season and tournament) and had no mention of anything else. I’m guessing that’s wrong so I’m totally lost. I would think in any logical system Central would be much higher than 8th. I’ve got what I was given but, it says it’s too large to upload.

If Battle loses to Union twice (boys),which they should, it would be a travesty for them to be seeded higher. Surely if Union wins out they will move up. Everybody in region d is hoping for 2 or 3 to avoid GC in the finals IMO. 

1 hour ago, Plywood_King said:

I could be wrong, but I think he was trying to say that Grayson was in a weird place because they're the only team in their district that is in Region D, meaning they have an easier path to playoffs. Because they don't play the SWD slate, they don't have to worry about the "4 team rule." That's still a major problem with mixed class districts. Several VHSL activities that have three rounds of competition have had to invent "subregions" so that a school like Grayson in the MED or Abingdon in the M7 doesn't get a free pass into the regional tournament because there's no competition in their district.

But then again, it was all just kind of a declaratory statement, so I'm not 100% what the meaning of any of it was. 

I didn’t consider that, thanks. Grayson is in a weird place in a district full of Class 1 teams. It hurts them in the end. Playing Bland, Auburn, Rural Retreat and Galax 8 times per year is good for the record but not for preparing to face Graham, Battle or another Class 2 opponent come playoff time. 

In talking to some friends in Grayson County, if they weren’t so strapped for cash, they would have stayed in the SWD. But the county is broke. 

12 hours ago, sixcat said:

In talking to some friends in Grayson County, if they weren’t so strapped for cash, they would have stayed in the SWD. But the county is broke. 

As a Marion fan, I can sympathize. It's tough to argue competition vs travel time when the closest SWD team is farther away than the furthest Hogo team.

14 hours ago, GMan said:

So, what's the "formula"????

Win vs. 1A = 3 points, 2A = 6 points and so on and so on

Loss vs. 1A = 1 point, 2A = 2 points and so on and so on

FWIW, it was a SWD assistant that gave me the info, who is a friend of mine.  I used the results threads on the site to get the totals, so if anything is off there, then obviously something will be off here.

Also, to add I was told the tournament will be a M7 vs. SWD/MED format for the quarterfinals at higher seed site:  M71 vs. SM4, M72 vs. SM3, M73 at SM2, and M74 at SM1

Using that logic as of yesterday it would have been Lebanon at Gate City, Richlands at Battle, Union at Grayson County and Wise Central at Graham for boys and Marion at Wise Central, Tazewell at Ridgeview, Union at Virginia High and Gate City at Lebanon in girls.

23 minutes ago, swva_havok_fan said:

FWIW, it was a SWD assistant that gave me the info, who is a friend of mine.  I used the results threads on the site to get the totals, so if anything is off there, then obviously something will be off here.

Also, to add I was told the tournament will be a M7 vs. SWD/MED format for the quarterfinals at higher seed site:  M71 vs. SM4, M72 vs. SM3, M73 at SM2, and M74 at SM1

Using that logic as of yesterday it would have been Lebanon at Gate City, Richlands at Battle, Union at Grayson County and Wise Central at Graham for boys and Marion at Wise Central, Tazewell at Ridgeview, Union at Virginia High and Gate City at Lebanon in girls.

If that's that case, then Graham has 100 points for 6.25 average.  Princeton and Greenbrier East are both considered 3A in VA...Graham beat both twice (36 points).  Graham lost to Bluefield (AA) twice for 4 more points.  Graham has beaten 10 AA VA schools for 60 points.  36+4+60=100

33 minutes ago, GMan said:

If that's that case, then Graham has 100 points for 6.25 average.  Princeton and Greenbrier East are both considered 3A in VA...Graham beat both twice (36 points).  Graham lost to Bluefield (AA) twice for 4 more points.  Graham has beaten 10 AA VA schools for 60 points.  36+4+60=100

Thanks for that.  I knew Bluefield was 2A.  Had no clue about the other WV teams.

2 hours ago, swva_havok_fan said:

Lawd I'd hate to have to drive from Big Stone to Grayson County.

The Bobcats are looking forward to.facing anyone from Region D.  It will be a tough road for us seeing as how we have Dan River, Martinsville and such in our region. Top to bottom I believe Region C is the strongest region in the state. 

I can understand why Grayson County stays in the Mountain Empire. Easy schedule for easy wins for good power points.  Play teams like us who will be playing William Fleming and Pulaski County which is extra points.  Why wouldn't you stay away from the Southwest in a district where you are more apt to have losses and play teams who definitely do not play anyone strong non conference. 

Same as Abingdon. THEY are AAA.  To have a good seed in the region move to the Mountain 7 in AA.  It's easy to see.  Their top opponent?  Gate City which plays in the Arbys Classic against, and correct me if I am wrong,  one of the top 5 teams in North Carolina, Kentucky and Tennessee?   I'm sure they get lots of needed points for that.  Whereas if they are in the Southwest who the heck will they play there with that much Power Points pull?  No one. 

So it's like Abingdon mooching off Gate City and Grayson County mooching off us to get those points plus getting points for winning their easy as pie district.  

Its.really easy to.see.  

All I have to say is Go Bobcats!   

2 hours ago, HowTheWestWasWon2017 said:

The Bobcats are looking forward to.facing anyone from Region D.  It will be a tough road for us seeing as how we have Dan River, Martinsville and such in our region. Top to bottom I believe Region C is the strongest region in the state. 

I can understand why Grayson County stays in the Mountain Empire. Easy schedule for easy wins for good power points.  Play teams like us who will be playing William Fleming and Pulaski County which is extra points.  Why wouldn't you stay away from the Southwest in a district where you are more apt to have losses and play teams who definitely do not play anyone strong non conference. 

Same as Abingdon. THEY are AAA.  To have a good seed in the region move to the Mountain 7 in AA.  It's easy to see.  Their top opponent?  Gate City which plays in the Arbys Classic against, and correct me if I am wrong,  one of the top 5 teams in North Carolina, Kentucky and Tennessee?   I'm sure they get lots of needed points for that.  Whereas if they are in the Southwest who the heck will they play there with that much Power Points pull?  No one. 

So it's like Abingdon mooching off Gate City and Grayson County mooching off us to get those points plus getting points for winning their easy as pie district.  

Its.really easy to.see.  

All I have to say is Go Bobcats!   

There are no "rider" points in Region D basketball, so it doesn't matter who your opponents have played.

On 1/30/2018 at 1:10 PM, swva_havok_fan said:

So, I was talking to an assistant coach in the region last night who I am good friends with, who gave me the supposed formula for calculating the basketball power points.  For Region D anyway.

Using the formula he gave me and the schedules and results that @Beamerball has posted, I have come up with my best guess as to what the 2D power points are as he we head down the home stretch of games.

These are as of completion of the Ridgeview/Union game from last night.

Couple of notes:  I guessed at a lot of the out of state opponents, especially Gate City's Arby's opponents and Central girl's Disney opponents.  Also, I am basing this off of an average like football and not the total number of points, because there is no way all teams are going to play the same number of games.

Region 2D Boys (as of 1/30/18):

1. Gate City               156            9.17647
  2. Graham                  88             5.5
  3. John Battle             72             4.5
  4. Grayson County     84             4.42105
  5. Union                      75             4.41176
  6. Richlands               65             4.0625
  7. Lebanon                 66             3.66667
  8. Wise Central           60             3.52941
  9. Marion                    62             3.44444
  10. Virginia High           55             3.23529
  11. Ridgeview               51             3.0
  12. Lee High                 32             2.13333
  13. Tazewell                  29            1.93333

Region 2D Girls (as of 1/30/18):

1. Wise Central          101            5.61111
  2. Ridgeview                80            4.44444
  3. Virginia High            63            4.2
  4. Lebanon                   74            4.11111
  5. Gate City                  72            4.0
  6. Union                        68            4.0
  7. Tazewell                    52           3.25
  8. John Battle                45           2.8125
  9. Marion                       36           2.76923
  10. Richlands                  42           2.47059
  11. Graham                     41           2.41176
  12. Grayson County        39           2.05263
  13. Lee High                    34           2.0

Not sure where you are getting your info, but each of the two districts has their own seeding formula for the region tournament.   Mountain 7 will send 4 teams seeded 1-4, and Southwest will send 4 teams seeded 1-4.

36 minutes ago, Weatherman said:

Not sure where you are getting your info, but each of the two districts has their own seeding formula for the region tournament.   Mountain 7 will send 4 teams seeded 1-4, and Southwest will send 4 teams seeded 1-4.

Already established that.  Did you read the rest of the thread?

I can't speak for the Southwest District, but in the M7, teams get points for their order of finish in the regular season district standings, and then points for their placing in the district tournament.  The regular season does carry more weight.  The only team guaranteed a spot in the region tournament is the highest finishing 2A team in the regular season standings, and that team will get the M7's #1 seed to the region regardless of what happens in the tournament.  The 6th seed in the regular season could possibly outpoint the 4th or 5th place team if that #6 upsets the #3 in the tournament.  Also, who ever loses the #4 vs. #5 seed tournament game will be done for the tournament, but will advance to the region unless #6 upsets #3.

The SW district will have their own formula for how they will seed their four, and it will be complicated by the fact that they have to figure Grayson County in the mix.