GC @ Abingdon

AHScoach

As I sat there watching Abingdon get hammered by a super talented GC team, I couldn't help but think. In what situation is it acceptable for a high school basketball coach to have starters in with under 5 minutes to play up by 50+ points? I have a great amount of respect for GC and would like to pull for them to bring a state championship to SWVA, but stuff like that makes it difficult. There is no place in high school athletics for such a lack of sportsmanship and intentionally trying to embarrass your opponent, but I can't say that I am very surprised. 

6 minutes ago, AHScoach said:

As I sat there watching Abingdon get hammered by a super talented GC team, I couldn't help but think. In what situation is it acceptable for a high school basketball coach to have starters in with under 5 minutes to play up by 50+ points? I have a great amount of respect for GC and would like to pull for them to bring a state championship to SWVA, but stuff like that makes it difficult. There is no place in high school athletics for such a lack of sportsmanship and intentionally trying to embarrass your opponent, but I can't say that I am very surprised. 

No one likes to see their team and kids get pummelled.  I don't approve when a coach RUTS.  I don't have a dog in the fight, and I don't know Coach Vermillion or any history between Abingdon and Gate City.  Maybe he is intentionally leaving his starters in to embarrass his opponents.  But JMHO, it's also possible it's for unrelated reasons and blowouts are a byproduct.  I'd imagine he wants his starters with as many real-game minutes as possible heading into the playoffs.  He also has a player with a great shot at breaking some amazing records if he plays the majority of every game. So maybe the blowout tonight wasn't about humiliating Abingdon, but it was to prepare for Graham, Radford, Robert E. Lee, et al..while giving MM a shot at rewriting the record book.

I’m sorry. But if GC pulled starters at halftime of every game it would kill them when it comes tourney time. Will eventually have to play 4 full quarters the rest of the way and you have to keep your legs under you. If you don’t like it, well sorry, stop it if you don’t want to be ran off the court... 

And plus Abingdon made some bad blood at GC last meeting with some uncalled for fouls and over physical play that he called ridiculous during the game (it was heard in the stands). Maybe Scotty was making a point to not do it to his team again. 

29 minutes ago, Leatherhead Larry said:

I’m sorry. But if GC pulled starters at halftime of every game it would kill them when it comes tourney time. Will eventually have to play 4 full quarters the rest of the way and you have to keep your legs under you. If you don’t like it, well sorry, stop it if you don’t want to be ran off the court... 

And plus Abingdon made some bad blood at GC last meeting with some uncalled for fouls and over physical play that he called ridiculous during the game (it was heard in the stands). Maybe Scotty was making a point to not do it to his team again. 

That's not the point at all. No one expects GC to sit starters at half time, but up 50 late in the 4th?? Pull your starters.

It's pretty obvious what's going on, trying to get MM the record. 

1 hour ago, BigWinners said:

That's not the point at all. No one expects GC to sit starters at half time, but up 50 late in the 4th?? Pull your starters.

It's pretty obvious what's going on, trying to get MM the record. 

Mac doesn’t care about any record, he only cares about a state title. He has said that multiple times in his quotes. He is all in for the team. Scotty doesn’t care about Mac chasing a record, he wants a state title. Yes it’s nice, but does it really mean anything if you don’t win it all? Too me, not really. You can’t sit players after a half or even the end of the 3rd. It’s getting close to the nitty gritty, you have to play 4 qtrs. Scotty cannot help if teams can’t keep up. Scotty and his team has to do what’s best for Scotty and his team. Right now what’s best is that this team play a whole lot of minutes, because before too long vs the Radfords, RE Lee’s, and Martinsvilles, GC is going to have to play a full game like they did in the Arby’s and vs Cleveland. Almost every other game has turned out to be a comfortable lead and win. If Scotty sits the starters at the start of every forth qtr in those other 15 or so games, how is his team going to react when they all the sudden have to play a full game? Exactly it won’t be good when everyone is sucking wind. Just be thankful he pulled them with 5 to go. Cause he could’ve tried to hang 125+ if he really wanted to. You Abingdon folks should have enough cheese to go with your whine. 

Scotty is in a no win situation. If you pull the starters early......fans are upset because they came to see the starters put on a show, and he is not doing the best job of preparing his team for down the road. If you do not pull the starters early..........fans are upset because you are running up the score. 

This is a special 2A team, with a special player. A group like this does not come around very often. Got to do what you can to prepare them for a run at a state championship.

At least we are bringing a boat load of fans to the away games, and providing an excellent gate. 

13 hours ago, AHScoach said:

As much as you may try, you're never going to convince anyone from Gate City that they are in the wrong.  

1 hour ago, Great City said:

Scotty is in a no win situation. If you pull the starters early......fans are upset because they came to see the starters put on a show, and he is not doing the best job of preparing his team for down the road. If you do not pull the starters early..........fans are upset because you are running up the score. 

This is a special 2A team, with a special player. A group like this does not come around very often. Got to do what you can to prepare them for a run at a state championship.

At least we are bringing a boat load of fans to the away games, and providing an excellent gate. 

^^ this 

GC is a must see show this year. Abingdon isn’t selling out their gym for any other game this year so be happy you made all the gate money that you did and the fans got to see an elite player and team. As far as I’ve seen the GC starters have played partially in every 4th quarter this season so it’s not like they’re picking on lowly Abingdon. 

Is Vermilion aware of Mac’s pace to beat the record(s)? I’m sure he is. Any coach would want to give their player a chance to be a record setter. Should Mac have to sacrifice his chance at beating an NBA legend’s record just because Abingdon and or other teams haven’t put in the work to be better teams? As someone who played on some very bad teams in his life and had the score ran up on him many times I can say honestly say the answer is no. I never wanted any team to take it easy on us to save hurt feelings. Take your beating and get better or quit. Don’t whine about running up the score and beg for point charity. Your moral victory for losing by 35 instead of 50 isn’t worth anything when it comes to making your kids better. 

22 minutes ago, Weatherman said:

As much as you may try, you're never going to convince anyone from Gate City that they are in the wrong.  

Right! You see............ALL GC fans are the same. Just like ALL fans from ALL other schools are the same. 

Heck.........really.........all people in defined groups are the same. Same thoughts. Same beliefs. Same.....well........everything.

Everyone knows this. Right? 

12 hours ago, Leatherhead Larry said:

Mac doesn’t care about any record, he only cares about a state title. He has said that multiple times in his quotes. He is all in for the team. Scotty doesn’t care about Mac chasing a record, he wants a state title. Yes it’s nice, but does it really mean anything if you don’t win it all? Too me, not really. You can’t sit players after a half or even the end of the 3rd. It’s getting close to the nitty gritty, you have to play 4 qtrs. Scotty cannot help if teams can’t keep up. Scotty and his team has to do what’s best for Scotty and his team. Right now what’s best is that this team play a whole lot of minutes, because before too long vs the Radfords, RE Lee’s, and Martinsvilles, GC is going to have to play a full game like they did in the Arby’s and vs Cleveland. Almost every other game has turned out to be a comfortable lead and win. If Scotty sits the starters at the start of every forth qtr in those other 15 or so games, how is his team going to react when they all the sudden have to play a full game? Exactly it won’t be good when everyone is sucking wind. Just be thankful he pulled them with 5 to go. Cause he could’ve tried to hang 125+ if he really wanted to. You Abingdon folks should have enough cheese to go with your whine. 

? I'm pretty well known as being from Big Stone.

That's just a lame excuse for running up numbers on a shit team. You can spin it any way you want, but seeing as you yourself said GC has played their starters in every game in the 4th, why do they have to be in there up 50? It's not like one game is gonna throw off anyones conditioning. You're just justifying the behavior to yourself to make it okay.

You guys keep whining about players being ready for a postseason run, I Promise you the bigger issue is dead legs, not the other way around. I'd rather rest my kids and preserve their legs late in the season compared to not letting the youngsters play. Hell if you wanna chase the record okay, leave in McClung and let the youngsters play with him. They'd LOVE that.

But pretending like GC and Scotty V. aren't aware of the record and are above chasing a record is absolutely false. I remember when GC beat a bad Pound team by like 70 just to get MacMurray the 3pt record. 

11 hours ago, EH31 said:

^^ this 

GC is a must see show this year. Abingdon isn’t selling out their gym for any other game this year so be happy you made all the gate money that you did and the fans got to see an elite player and team. As far as I’ve seen the GC starters have played partially in every 4th quarter this season so it’s not like they’re picking on lowly Abingdon. 

Is Vermilion aware of Mac’s pace to beat the record(s)? I’m sure he is. Any coach would want to give their player a chance to be a record setter. Should Mac have to sacrifice his chance at beating an NBA legend’s record just because Abingdon and or other teams haven’t put in the work to be better teams? As someone who played on some very bad teams in his life and had the score ran up on him many times I can say honestly say the answer is no. I never wanted any team to take it easy on us to save hurt feelings. Take your beating and get better or quit. Don’t whine about running up the score and beg for point charity. Your moral victory for losing by 35 instead of 50 isn’t worth anything when it comes to making your kids better. 

This. Times infinity. If you don't want to have the score run up on you, get better and beat them the next time. 

3 minutes ago, BigWinners said:

At the HS level, talent can vary so widely that sometimes discretion is better part of valor.

What is the moral difference in losing by 35 or losing by 50? They are both extreme blowout losses. 

8 hours ago, Ryan4VT said:

What is the moral difference in losing by 35 or losing by 50? They are both extreme blowout losses. 

In 2011 Clintwood football got beat by nearly 60 points to Grayson County. They were humiliated. They came back and never lost a game that year and won the State Championship.  After falling to Grayson County they had a record of 1-2. They finished 13-2. They beat George Wythe and a great Sussex team in playoffs. Then beat Galax 33-28 for State. Galax had beaten Grayson County that yr. So after being beat by nearly 60 points by Grayson you have to play the team that beat them for a State Championship.  I was a part of that season and with the team helping and encouraging.  The Greenwave guys said they never wanted to feel the feeling they experienced when losing to Grayson. They used it as a motivation each and every game. So in reality the Grayson game turned out to be a blessing in some ways. It's how you deal with the circumstance. They used it not to wallow in defeat, but to become better.

5 hours ago, WAVE 316 said:

In 2011 Clintwood football got beat by nearly 60 points to Grayson County. They were humiliated. They came back and never lost a game that year and won the State Championship.  After falling to Grayson County they had a record of 1-2. They finished 13-2. They beat George Wythe and a great Sussex team in playoffs. Then beat Galax 33-28 for State. Galax had beaten Grayson County that yr. So after being beat by nearly 60 points by Grayson you have to play the team that beat them for a State Championship.  I was a part of that season and with the team helping and encouraging.  The Greenwave guys said they never wanted to feel the feeling they experienced when losing to Grayson. They used it as a motivation each and every game. So in reality the Grayson game turned out to be a blessing in some ways. It's how you deal with the circumstance. They used it not to wallow in defeat, but to become better.

Wait... you mean instead of Clintwood crying about Grayson County being “classless” and “unsportsmanlike” they just used the beating as motivation and got better? I’m glad Clintwood won the state championship because by not whining about Grayson County running up the score I think they forfeited their participation trophy? Someone fact check me on that 

So you guys are okay with high school kids getting embarrassed because their school isn't as big and doesn't have as much talent or resources? Great teaching there. 

The score is not what's important. It's who's playing and when. If you win by 60 and you've cleared the bench and stopped pressing, you've done all you can do. If you win by 50 while playing starters the entire game, it's different. 

5 hours ago, BigWinners said:

So you guys are okay with high school kids getting embarrassed because their school isn't as big and doesn't have as much talent or resources? Great teaching there. 

The score is not what's important. It's who's playing and when. If you win by 60 and you've cleared the bench and stopped pressing, you've done all you can do. If you win by 50 while playing starters the entire game, it's different. 

Abingdon is way bigger and probably has 3x the resources that GC has...

Won't hear me complain one bit tomorrow night.  An L is an L whether it's by 2 points or 60 as may very well be the case tomorrow night.

I just wonder if this exact same scenario won't play itself out come baseball season, just in reverse, because everyone will be whining about Abingdon running up the score in baseball.

On 2/2/2018 at 10:45 PM, AHScoach said:

There is no place in high school athletics for such a lack of sportsmanship and intentionally trying to embarrass your opponent, but I can't say that I am very surprised. 

If you don't like it then do something about it. Spend more time in the gym and less time at the Barter. 

43 minutes ago, Plywood_King said:

As long as we're stereotyping all the fans of an entire school, GC may have hammered some of the undeserved sense of self-accomplishment out of the pretentiousness capitol of SWVA.

An Abingdon citizen's response: "Pretentious? Moi?"