GC @ Abingdon

AHScoach

I am sure there will be GC fans to totally disagree with this but most of the calls were total BS.  The flagrant was totally bogus, it was a hard foul across the arms and in an attempt to hit the ball.  Only way a flagrant is supposed to be called is if there is no attempt at the ball or there is ill intent, not true in this case.  Even the GC fan section got quiet during that call because they knew it was a bad call.  If it was a shove in the back or hard take down they would have been calling for ejection.  Our kid actually took the hard hit against the wall because he is 130 pounds soaking wet.  Total foul difference in the game was 33 against Abingdon (not counting the 3 T's and flagrant) and 6 against GC (yes 6 for entire game with only 1 in first half).  McClung shot 27 free throws in the game by my count.  At one point the gray headed ref actually was at the foul line laughing with him and rubbing his back.  The coaches T came while he was in the huddle talking to the players during a timeout.  He had said something to the ref before but when it was called there was no confrontation.  The player ejection may have been warranted, I wasn't paying attention to see what went down there.  My opinion is, if you want to be a fan of McClung then by all means sit in the stands and cheer for him, get pictures made after the game, get autographs, whatever.  But if you want to be a fan then you can't be a ref at the same time.  He is a great player and I hope he does well down the road but call the game impartially and let's stop the Jordan treatment. 

I wasnt at the game so I cannot comment as to foul disparity and why, but having watched Coach Johnsons teams at Castlewood and his fathers teams at E&H the high foul count isnt surprising against a team like GC.  Johnson in the past has liked to play physical, high pressure D end to end.  A player like McClung is going to draw a lot of fouls against that type of D unless you have a player or two who can match his quickness.  

I agree that most everybody hates Abingdon and I know Coach Johnson has a reputation among officials going back as far as his Dad.  That doesn't make it any more fair to the kids that play there when the refs make it a point to make an example during a game like this.  And to be honest, I think that the majority of the gym last night hated on a certain father/son duo in the first game more than Abingdon.

1 hour ago, Weatherman said:

Seems like there has been considerable animosity between Abingdon and Gate City this year.

1 hour ago, cityofRaven said:

Everyone hates Abingdon.

They certainly haven't endeared themselves to the majority of the M7 in their first season for sure.  The animosity with Gate City was always there.  I don't think Union likes them now because there were quite a few Abingdon fans and players at the Appomattox game sitting in Appo stands and cheering for Appo.  And in girls basketball anyway, a rivalry with Ridgeview got started this week by an Abingdon player, a sophomore no less, guaranteeing an Abingdon win Wednesday night, which didn't happen by the way... :D

1 hour ago, F@lcon said:

I agree that most everybody hates Abingdon and I know Coach Johnson has a reputation among officials going back as far as his Dad.  That doesn't make it any more fair to the kids that play there when the refs make it a point to make an example during a game like this.  And to be honest, I think that the majority of the gym last night hated on a certain father/son duo in the first game more than Abingdon.

This is true also, I think we all hate Central worse than you guys... Lol

As a GC fan, I do not believe that flagrant foul call was accurate. IMHO, the refs could sense things getting out of hand and were trying to tighten up their calls. They should have done so sooner. After that foul they started calling almost everything.

The Abingdon coach ran his mouth to the officials all night. He should have received a technical much earlier. He ran his mouth during that timeout. The official walked away from the coach and went to the scorer's table to call the technical. That coach also had some verbal exchanges with GC fans who were in the stands across the gym from him. Not exactly the way to endear yourself to the fans.

GC's game is shooting the three, and driving to the basket. We had better be shooting more free throws than our opponent, or we are in trouble.

Abingdon just does not match up well with GC this year. We are much quicker and faster. Abingdon kids got frustrated, and were reaching all night. Their game plan was to be physical and contest every shot. They were, and they did. Led to a lot of fouls being called.  

2 hours ago, F@lcon said:

I do not know Coach Johnson, have no idea about his past, or his past history with officials. The most unfair thing is if the Coach's behavior is affecting his team's ability to play/win.

The officials most certainly should have made an example of Coach Johnson last night. Coach Johnson was showing how to NOT act and behave. The officials showed what happens when you behave that way. They should have made that example much earlier in the game.

2 hours ago, swva_havok_fan said:

.  And in girls basketball anyway, a rivalry with Ridgeview got started this week by an Abingdon player, a sophomore no less, guaranteeing an Abingdon win Wednesday night, which didn't happen by the way... :D

Please provide a quote or link to this. I don't remember seeing it anywhere. 

11 hours ago, F@lcon said:

Total foul difference in the game was 33 against Abingdon (not counting the 3 T's and flagrant) and 6 against GC (yes 6 for entire game with only 1 in first half).  McClung shot 27 free throws in the game by my count.

The newspaper article says Mac was 13-15 from the line.  That's a big discrepancy from your perspective of the game.  Mac's strength is driving to the basket, therefore he will create a lot of contact and get a lot of chances at the line.  GC's biggest weakness, according to everyone else, is that they don't play any defense so that may explain the reason they don't foul much is because they don't put that much pressure on the ball.  Maybe if there were more fouls called against GC they would of only won by 32 instead of 52. 😉

I did speak wrong, I had meant the team shot that many.  The team actually plays really good recover defense.  They get to the ball quickly.  There was plenty of contact, just no calls. I never said we didn't foul and never said we could have won the game, don't have the talent or shooters for that.  All I was saying is that refs need to be impartial during a game like that and maybe it won't get out of hand to have to call a BS flagrant.  When you call one sided for an entire game the kids get frustrated and begin getting riled up on the court.  They are kids and their emotions get the better of them.  Coach Johnson did argue quite a bit but never raised his voice.  He had a lot of reason to complain.  Wise Central's coach acted like an idiot and didn't get T'd in the first game.  The T was to prove a point in my opinion, "take your medicine".  I know you will try to spin this by saying it didn't happen so go ahead.  I have said my peace.

2 hours ago, F@lcon said:

I did speak wrong, I had meant the team shot that many.  The team actually plays really good recover defense.  They get to the ball quickly.  There was plenty of contact, just no calls. I never said we didn't foul and never said we could have won the game, don't have the talent or shooters for that.  All I was saying is that refs need to be impartial during a game like that and maybe it won't get out of hand to have to call a BS flagrant.  When you call one sided for an entire game the kids get frustrated and begin getting riled up on the court.  They are kids and their emotions get the better of them.  Coach Johnson did argue quite a bit but never raised his voice.  He had a lot of reason to complain.  Wise Central's coach acted like an idiot and didn't get T'd in the first game.  The T was to prove a point in my opinion, "take your medicine".  I know you will try to spin this by saying it didn't happen so go ahead.  I have said my peace.

You lose credibility when you say McClung shot 27 free throws when he only shot 15.  It just indicates we can't believe much of what you say.  And what the Wise coach did or didn't do didn't have any relevance to the GC-Abingdon game.