Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
EH31

Best McClung dunk yet?

61 posts in this topic

 
 
 
54 minutes ago, Weatherman said:

Anybody know why Virginia Tech didn't offer McClung?

Two primary reasons, and I’ll list them in order of importance:

 

(1) For all of McClung’s offensive accolades, and there are plenty, his defensive game is still very much a work in progress.  He rates average at best in almost every facet of his defensive game when compared to Division I talent.  SC Top 10 dunks aren’t going to happen when he plays Villanova, Butler, Seton Hall, Xavier, Providence, and Creighton next season.  Defense, however, translates. Thankfully, Patrick Ewing doesn’t care a lick about defense at Georgetown (at least, not perceptibly), so McClung should get his opportunity to be a volume scorer there.

 

(2) He blew up awfully late in the 2018 recruiting cycle, which is common among SWVA athletes.  Therefore, he didn’t attract major D1 interest early on.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 
44 minutes ago, UVAObserver said:

Two primary reasons, and I’ll list them in order of importance:

 

(1) For all of McClung’s offensive accolades, and there are plenty, his defensive game is still very much a work in progress.  He rates average at best in almost every facet of his defensive game when compared to Division I talent.  SC Top 10 dunks aren’t going to happen when he plays Villanova, Butler, Seton Hall, Xavier, Providence, and Creighton next season.  Defense, however, translates. Thankfully, Patrick Ewing doesn’t care a lick about defense at Georgetown (at least, not perceptibly), so McClung should get his opportunity to be a volume scorer there.

 

(2) He blew up awfully late in the 2018 recruiting cycle, which is common among SWVA athletes.  Therefore, he didn’t attract major D1 interest early on.

(3) He doesn't fit anything Buzz Williams wants to do on the floor at either guard spot.  Buzz needs someone to control the basketball, control tempo, and lock down the opposing PG in order for his teams to play the way he wants to play.  I'm not sure McClung can do any of that with an ACC schedule, especially the way Buzz wants it done. 

(4) Virginia Tech already has commitments from Landers Nolley, Jarren McAllister, and Jon Kabongo.  All three fit what Buzz wants to do and are ranked higher than McClung by ever recruiting ranking service.  I've seen McAllister and Kabongo play.  Buzz is significantly improving PG play with those two commitments. 

I am not taking shots at McClung before anyone makes an irrational claim.  He just doesn't fit anything Virginia Tech wants to do on the basketball court. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 
 
 
 
 
5 hours ago, mhsalum said:

Didn't want to start a new thread for this, but what kind of JV team does Gate City have? 

Not sure of their record. Will be playing for the JV Championship Monday night at GC. Scrappy kids. Pretty decent team.

Do not want to start another thread for this either..........but I do not believe we have one kid on either JV or Varsity that also plays football. Not sure in the history of GC has that ever happened. Maybe I am wrong.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 
9 minutes ago, Great City said:

Not sure of their record. Will be playing for the JV Championship Monday night at GC. Scrappy kids. Pretty decent team.

Do not want to start another thread for this either..........but I do not believe we have one kid on either JV or Varsity that also plays football. Not sure in the history of GC has that ever happened. Maybe I am wrong.

Sallee and Vermilion on Varsity that come to mind. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 

The dunks don't impress me one bit.what mac needs to do is get tougher.ive seen him play several times this year.when he drives the lane and gets fouled pretty hard.he gets an attitude about it.hard fouls are a part of the game.if he thinks these local high school kids are fouling him hard.wait till he drives the lane and gets fouled by big time division one basketball players.grown men.he just needs to learn to take it and go on.its a part of the game

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 
32 minutes ago, Doofus said:

The dunks don't impress me one bit.what mac needs to do is get tougher.ive seen him play several times this year.when he drives the lane and gets fouled pretty hard.he gets an attitude about it.hard fouls are a part of the game.if he thinks these local high school kids are fouling him hard.wait till he drives the lane and gets fouled by big time division one basketball players.grown men.he just needs to learn to take it and go on.its a part of the game

Yeah! Back in my day, basketball players took gunshot wounds on the court and never missed a minute. If he can't handle a few wimpy HS fouls, he will never handle being punched in the face by Ron Artest, because that always happens in D1 basketball. Getting clotheslined by Dikembe Mutumbo is part of the game, better get used to it, little punks.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 
 
16 minutes ago, Doofus said:

It makes sense now that he gave up football.couldnt deal with the contact

Oh for sure. He gave that LAME, WEAK excuse that he didn't want to risk injury and potentially lose a D1 scholarship to a Big East school by playing for a team with no chance of success but the truth is obviously he is scared of contact and having to be PHYSICAL and just wants to skip around and shoot baskets. What a pussy. 

 

He wouldn't even HAVE an offer from Georgetown if the head coach there now wasn't some weak, chickenshit guy who never liked contact or physical basketball. Such a sham. Fake!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 

Awww I've made a member of the mcclung fan club mad.you've watched him cry over getting fouled for so long that it's starting to rub off on you

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 
1 hour ago, Jason said:

Sallee and Vermilion on Varsity that come to mind. 

Dang. Can't believe I brain farted like that. 

Was talking to my brother during the JV game about how we did not believe any of those kids played football. My bad. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 
 

In regards to him “having an attitude” about being fouled hard, couldn’t it be that he thinks some of the shots he takes are cheap? I’ve seen probably 90% of the GC games this year and he has a target on his back every time. Last night he had a guy purposely elbow him in the back of the head. Just a thought. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 

When you are good. you will have a target on your back.that also goes with the territory.would be nice if he would just play ball and cut out all the extra crap that he does during the game.just a thought 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 
1 hour ago, Doofus said:

Awww I've made a member of the mcclung fan club mad.you've watched him cry over getting fouled for so long that it's starting to rub off on you

I was agreeing with you 1,000%. I dunno why you got an attitude when I was in total agreement about that GLORY BOY.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 
1 minute ago, BigWinners said:

I was agreeing with you 1,000%. I dunno why you got an attitude when I was in total agreement about that GLORY BOY.

You was being sarcastic 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 
2 hours ago, Great City said:

Dang. Can't believe I brain farted like that. 

Was talking to my brother during the JV game about how we did not believe any of those kids played football. My bad. 

It happens to all of us. I do miss all the multisport kids but also understand some of the decisions as well. Of the two kids I mentioned, Vermilion stands a good chance at getting to play college football somewhere. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 
2 hours ago, Ryan4VT said:

Yup. You win the screen name of the year award. Fits 100% perfectly. 

Reminds me of an old friend... TTownTigers I think it was?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 
 

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

Premium Theme Designed By IBTheme.com

×