Best McClung dunk yet?

EH31

1 hour ago, Doofus said:

You was being sarcastic 

No, you was just so right I couldnt help myself! Maybe I was a tad over the top, but you perfectly encapsulated my thoughts on the matter 100%! I'm sick and tired of all these GLORY BOYS who value athleticism and talent over grit, hard work and being white. 

Some people just can't accept change, the granny foul shot, and the boring 2 handed chest pass. All the so called "fundamentals," are for the guys who cant shoot or dribble when they start.  Bye old school, hello new school, show me the dunks, pack the gym, sign the autographs.You guys hammering on the dunk sound like the same guys who hammered the 3 point shot.  Mac is playing basketball the way the majority of basketball fans like to see basketball played.  For those dissing his game ,maybe a good wheelchair game would suit you best.  If he played like some of you are suggesting , ball is life wouldn't give him 10 minutes.  Your talking about a guy who will likely pass Moses Malone and Allen Iverson for most points in a season in Virginia.  He thrives off of folks who say he can't.  

1 hour ago, olim said:

Some people just can't accept change, the granny foul shot, and the boring 2 handed chest pass. All the so called "fundamentals," are for the guys who cant shoot or dribble when they start.  Bye old school, hello new school, show me the dunks, pack the gym, sign the autographs.You guys hammering on the dunk sound like the same guys who hammered the 3 point shot.  Mac is playing basketball the way the majority of basketball fans like to see basketball played.  For those dissing his game ,maybe a good wheelchair game would suit you best.  If he played like some of you are suggesting , ball is life wouldn't give him 10 minutes.  Your talking about a guy who will likely pass Moses Malone and Allen Iverson for most points in a season in Virginia.  He thrives off of folks who say he can't.  

As a wheelchair user, I take offense to your "maybe a wheelchair game would suit you".  Yea, maybe those guys cant dunk or whatever but those guys that play wheelchair Bball have more heart, guts, determination, etc etc etc than all of these D1 and Pro Bball players put together.

I admire the guys that play wheelchair ball.  They go at it with reckless abandon.  Flipping their chairs over and all.  I've never went that extreme with it, but I give them mad props for what they do. 

52 minutes ago, mv91 said:

As a wheelchair user, I take offense to your "maybe a wheelchair game would suit you".  Yea, maybe those guys cant dunk or whatever but those guys that play wheelchair Bball have more heart, guts, determination, etc etc etc than all of these D1 and Pro Bball players put together.

I admire the guys that play wheelchair ball.  They go at it with reckless abandon.  Flipping their chairs over and all.  I've never went that extreme with it, but I give them mad props for what they do. 

I'm sorry that you were offended. And I agree with everything you said.  

1 hour ago, mv91 said:

Very well said. Thank you.

1 hour ago, olim said:

I'm sorry that you were offended. And I agree with everything you said.  

All good man.  Trust me, I've been in a chair for almost 27 years and I am not easily offended. lol  I guess I just took your comment the wrong way

8 hours ago, olim said:

Recipe: 

1 cup crotchety

4 oz. lack of understanding of the game

1 tbsp. offensive wheelchair reference

1 tsp. thinking you know a player

Mix in your brain for 5 minutes, then type random sentences.  Serves a website, but fills none.

24 minutes ago, UVAObserver said:

Recipe: 

1 cup crotchety

4 oz. lack of understanding of the game

1 tbsp. offensive wheelchair reference

1 tsp. thinking you know a player

Mix in your brain for 5 minutes, then type random sentences.  Serves a website, but fills none.

On 2/7/2018 at 7:40 AM, UVAObserver said:

Two primary reasons, and I’ll list them in order of importance:

(1) For all of McClung’s offensive accolades, and there are plenty, his defensive game is still very much a work in progress.  He rates average at best in almost every facet of his defensive game when compared to Division I talent.  SC Top 10 dunks aren’t going to happen when he plays Villanova, Butler, Seton Hall, Xavier, Providence, and Creighton next season.  Defense, however, translates. Thankfully, Patrick Ewing doesn’t care a lick about defense at Georgetown (at least, not perceptibly), so McClung should get his opportunity to be a volume scorer there.

(2) He blew up awfully late in the 2018 recruiting cycle, which is common among SWVA athletes.  Therefore, he didn’t attract major D1 interest early on.

If it is so common for SWVA athletes to "blow up," name another SWVA athlete who has over three-hundred thousand followers on instagram and growing by the day.  And every video he has posted surpasses 1 million views. Ball is Life youtube page has over 1 million subscribers and follows Mac to his games.  About to pass Moses Malone and Allen Iverson in points in the state of Virginia. He's playing in the top 20 players in the nations all American game.  Chosen as 1 of the top 20 players in the nation and you claim he has average defensive skill.  He has no one to defend, it's easy to slack off and not play defense when your playing against no offensive skill.  For someone to say Patrick Ewing " doesn't care a lick about defense is a gallon of not knowing a player and being out of touch with what people like to see in basketball.

3 hours ago, olim said:

If it is so common for SWVA athletes to "blow up," name another SWVA athlete who has over three-hundred thousand followers on instagram and growing by the day.  And every video he has posted surpasses 1 million views. Ball is Life youtube page has over 1 million subscribers and follows Mac to his games.  About to pass Moses Malone and Allen Iverson in points in the state of Virginia. He's playing in the top 20 players in the nations all American game.  Chosen as 1 of the top 20 players in the nation and you claim he has average defensive skill.  He has no one to defend, it's easy to slack off and not play defense when your playing against no offensive skill.  For someone to say Patrick Ewing " doesn't care a lick about defense is a gallon of not knowing a player and being out of touch with what people like to see in basketball.

He’s great for this area. But he’s not one of the top 20 players in the nation. That is delusional. He’s a 3* PG. Every player in the top 20 is a 5* kid. Great for the area, but know who and what he is. 

The best ranking Mac had was during the summer and he was up to #30 PG in the nation by 247 Sports.  Thats an incredible feat....... BUT being #30 PG in the nation put him at like #203 player in the nation at that time.   Not even close to Top 20 player in the nation.  Im a huge Mac supporter but it is what it is.  

9 minutes ago, RiverRat24 said:

The best ranking Mac had was during the summer and he was up to #30 PG in the nation by 247 Sports.  Thats an incredible feat....... BUT being #30 PG in the nation put him at like #203 player in the nation at that time.   Not even close to Top 20 player in the nation.  Im a huge Mac supporter but it is what it is.  

Exactly. That’s the highest recruit from this area in a while. He’s one heck of an athlete absolutely I think he will have his shot to be a good player for the Hoyas. But he is what he is, ya know? 

Mac McClung of Gate City (Va.) is quickly — and vertically — making a case as the most exciting high school basketball player in America. 

The Georgetown-signee has had folks on the internet busy this week after he sent down two spectacular reverse dunks during a 47-point outburst Tuesday in a 96-43 season-opening win over Lee (Va.). 

With his future coach Patrick Ewing in attendance, McClung was 18-of-23 from the field, including 5-for-9 on three-pointers and 6-of-8 from the line. 

The chiseled, high-flying 6-foot-2 guard pleased the crowd with a variety of tough jumpers and explosive bursts to the rim. He often showed off his superb handles by pulling up for long-range shots, while tripping up defenders. 

But what really brought fans off their feet was when he left his, showing off a reported 47-inch vertical jump before punctuating plays with powerful and acrobatic dunks. A couple of them even impressed his coach Scott Vermillion, who no doubt has seen McClung's high-wire act for years.It's hard to blow away someone like NBA Hall of Fame player Ewing, voted one of the 50 greatest players of all-time. He wasn't talking about the dunks afterward, but raved about McClung's all-around game, toughness and resolve. 

"I love his heart," Ewing told the newspaper. "I love his tenacity. ... He's strong. He's a great finisher. I just love everything about him." 

That's music to the ears of McClung, who wants to be more than just a viral sensation. He averaged 29 points, 5.5 assists and three steals a game last season for the 23-5 Blue Devils, who play in the second smallest classification in Virginia. He had 64 points in a playoff game last season and packs the gym almost every night.

"I'm more than just a dunker and entertainer," he told MaxPreps. "I'm a hard worker and give it all on the court."

And off of it. 

As I have said until I’m just about blue in the face, Virginia is a poor producer of men’s basketball talent, and SWVA is an especially poor producer of men’s basketball talent.  It should be a sobering fact when the best player in SWVA history is struggling to crack the National Top 150.  

For reference, Jahvon Quinerly was going to be paid by Arizona (national champion pedigree, major conference school) to play basketball there, and even HE wasn’t Top 20 nationally.

The delusion runs deep for quite a few here...

72 D-1 offers, and Virginia Tech didn't know about this player?  Quote from UVAObserver "  Therefore, he didn’t attract major D1 interest early " delusion runs deep, that is for sure.

McClung isn’t a top 20 point guard by any recruiting service, much less a top 20 player. Both ESPN and Rivals has him unranked nationally and 49th by position. 24/7 has him 44th by position and 234 nationally. He is ranked #9 in Virginia, a state notoriously weak in producing basketball talent beyond the top 2 or 3 players in the state.

Honest opinion and assessment doesn’t mean anyone is taking shots at this kid. 

27 minutes ago, olim said:

72 D-1 offers, and Virginia Tech didn't know about this player?  Quote from UVAObserver "  Therefore, he didn’t attract major D1 interest early " delusion runs deep, that is for sure.

Can’t tell if you’re trolling or really believe the ignorance you spew.

There’s nothing that I can say to add that I and several others haven’t already said.  You’re just objectively wrong.

22 minutes ago, UVAObserver said:

As I have said until I’m just about blue in the face, Virginia is a poor producer of men’s basketball talent, and SWVA is an especially poor producer of men’s basketball talent.  It should be a sobering fact when the best player in SWVA history is struggling to crack the National Top 150.  

For reference, Jahvon Quinerly was going to be paid by Arizona (national champion pedigree, major conference school) to play basketball there, and even HE wasn’t Top 20 nationally.

The delusion runs deep for quite a few here...

......." It should be a sobering fact when the best player in SWVA history is struggling to crack the National Top 150."  Struggling????? Come onnnnn Man!  " Virginia is a poor producer of men’s basketball talent, and SWVA is an especially poor producer of men’s basketball talent."  ?????? Come onnnn man??  New rankings just around the corner!  Come on Man!  Struggling??????.  Social Media is making Mac, the media came to him, he is what people want to see, It is still in the beginning phase.  Social media controls what you see on the court.  Case in point, Lonzo Ball , nothing but social media put him where he is today.  " Agent:  Isaiah Thomas won't come off the bench."  Magic Johnson:  Lonzo Ball is our starting guard. "  This game is all about money and who the people want to see.   With a kid like Mac who understands what people want to see and gives them what they came to see and turns opposing teams in to fans the sky is the limit.  ESPN Rankings , 247 are all controlled by a few, Social media now runs those organizations as well.  If you don't believe social media runs things these days ask Trump why he tweets?   It goes straight to the people which will eventually stop FAKE NEWS.   Most of what people post here is one mans opinion or read from some out dated ESPN web post.  Follow the social media skip the news.