John Battle upsets Union

Weatherman

Definitely trending the wrong direction at this point. Tonight was very similar to the Central game. Union got a little out coached tonight in my opinion. We are doing to much subbing at the wrong times and can’t get any flow at all. Stayed in the 3-2 zone way to long. Gonna be a tough post season. 

13 hours ago, swva_havok_fan said:

Devastating loss here as this possibly now sends Union on the road in first round of Region D to Grayson County or Graham.

Folks the other day posting about Wise Central being the choking capital of the region need to be careful about putting teams down. Might turn around and be their team. Union can still bounce back. Juxt how tough mentally are they? 

1 hour ago, WAVE 316 said:

Folks the other day posting about Wise Central being the choking capital of the region need to be careful about putting teams down. Might turn around and be their team. Union can still bounce back. Juxt how tough mentally are they? 

Cry me a river. Did Union lead the entire game and have to practically give the game away with late, under a minute turnovers? No? Then it's not even remotely the same. 

12 hours ago, BigWinners said:

Cry me a river. Did Union lead the entire game and have to practically give the game away with late, under a minute turnovers? No? Then it's not even remotely the same. 

Union led 3 out of 4 quarters and lost.  They lose the game in the 4th quarter.  Sounds likethey choked.. 

Union led 3 out of 4 quarters and lost.  They lose the game in the 4th quarter.  Sounds likethey choked.. 

Do you understand what a choke truly is, in a sport context? It's not simply losing a game in which you had the lead, it's finding a way to lose at the end when the opposing team has no chance at winning without you doing everything possible to help them beat you. Wasn't the case during this game, you got butthurt when I posted about Wise's epic choke in BSG earlier this year and are now trying to make a point, facts be damned. 

12 hours ago, swva_havok_fan said:

Well, apparently Union can redeem themselves and still get a region home game if they advance to the M7 finals... hope Ridgeview gives em hell on Tuesday though.  Lol

Certainly possible, the crowds at GC will likely cheer for Union over Central bc of the antics. But Union seems to be fading now, it may not matter either way.

18 minutes ago, BigWinners said:

Do you understand what a choke truly is, in a sport context? It's not simply losing a game in which you had the lead, it's finding a way to lose at the end when the opposing team has no chance at winning without you doing everything possible to help them beat you. Wasn't the case during this game, you got butthurt when I posted about Wise's epic choke in BSG earlier this year and are now trying to make a point, facts be damned. 

See your definition of choke is different than 99% of the rest of the world. When you are up 3 quarters out of 4 and you lose then you choke. You got butthurt that Union choked and someone mentioned it. And Central that you despise even got a higher seed in the tournament. But all teams choke in sports. Pro, college, youth. Nothing to get overly upset over.

See your definition of choke is different than 99% of the rest of the world. When you are up 3 quarters out of 4 and you lose then you choke. You got butthurt that Union choked and someone mentioned it. And Central that you despise even got a higher seed in the tournament. But all teams choke in sports. Pro, college, youth. Nothing to get overly upset over.

Um, no. You have it ass backwards. You have the definition that 99.9% of the world doesn't share. Choking isn't simply losing a lead, if that was true then 75% of games in every sport would be choke jobs. A choke is giving away a game late thru mistakes, basically allowing a team to win. 

And hooray for Wise? They finally beat Union after losing almost 20 games in a row, managing to do it by a gigantic three points at home against one of the weakest teams in Union history. Really a signature win :/ 

Worst Union team in years finishes third in the M7 after losing their All-Region player in the second game, I'd say that's a success.

You aren't very good at this, are you?

"In sports, a choke is the failure of a sportsperson or team in a game in a situation where maintaining their performance is highly important.[1] This can occur in a game or tournament that they are strongly favored to win, or in an instance where they have a large lead that they squander in the late stages of the event. It can also refer to repeated failures in the same event, or simply infer an unexpected failure when the event is more important than usual."

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Choke_(sports)

2 hours ago, BigWinners said:

Um, no. You have it ass backwards. You have the definition that 99.9% of the world doesn't share. Choking isn't simply losing a lead, if that was true then 75% of games in every sport would be choke jobs. A choke is giving away a game late thru mistakes, basically allowing a team to win. 

And hooray for Wise? They finally beat Union after losing almost 20 games in a row, managing to do it by a gigantic three points at home against one of the weakest teams in Union history. Really a signature win :/ 

Worst Union team in years finishes third in the M7 after losing their All-Region player in the second game, I'd say that's a success.

You aren't very good at this, are you?

As I said a simple post about a Central win over Union has got you out of sorts. And I love Wes Slagle. Good friend of mine. He is a great player and person. Sad he got injured.  He will have to carry the load next yr with Mitchell being gone. Central will miss Dalton Mullins.  Gate City will be without Mac. Who knows how the teams will do next year. Should be interesting to see how GC adapts. Ridgeview, Lee, and Battle perhaps about the same as this year. Don't see Abingdon overachieving either. Gate City and Graham this year. Other guys will exit early.

2 hours ago, BigWinners said:

"In sports, a choke is the failure of a sportsperson or team in a game in a situation where maintaining their performance is highly important.[1] This can occur in a game or tournament that they are strongly favored to win, or in an instance where they have a large lead that they squander in the late stages of the event. It can also refer to repeated failures in the same event, or simply infer an unexpected failure when the event is more important than usual."

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Choke_(sports)

Sounds like Union  choked twice. Favored to win against Central and Battle. So the Wikipedia definition says they choked...a game or tournament that they are strongly favored to win''...

39 minutes ago, WAVE 316 said:

Sounds like Union  choked twice. Favored to win against Central and Battle. So the Wikipedia definition says they choked...a game or tournament that they are strongly favored to win''...

Union was strongly favored to win at Wise? By who? If so, that speaks to Wise being shitty, but I can promise you Union wasn't strongly favored by anyone in either game. 

And out of sorts? You're the one who tried to prove a point only to be proven silly.

25 minutes ago, BigWinners said:

Union was strongly favored to win at Wise? By who? If so, that speaks to Wise being shitty, but I can promise you Union wasn't strongly favored by anyone in either game. 

And out of sorts? You're the one who tried to prove a point only to be proven silly.

So you are saying Union wasn't favored to beat  Central and Battle? And they were called upsets. Union was favored to beat Battle and led after 3 straight quarters and choked. The failure of a team in a game where maintaining their performance is highly important. Union failed to maintain their performance in the 4th quarter and choked according to Wikipedia. 

19 hours ago, WAVE 316 said:

So you are saying Union wasn't favored to beat  Central and Battle? And they were called upsets. Union was favored to beat Battle and led after 3 straight quarters and choked. The failure of a team in a game where maintaining their performance is highly important. Union failed to maintain their performance in the 4th quarter and choked according to Wikipedia. 

Battle, Union was likely favored by most. It's not like Vegas puts out lines for VHSL 2A Mountain 7 conference games so there's nothing official. Wise? Most would have favored Central or had the game a toss up. Mullins played in the most recent meeting as opposed to the first meeting so anyone who strongly  favored Union is dumb. The Wiki said strongly favored, which Union would not have been in either game. 

I almost feel bad for you if you truly believe simply having a lead late in a game is choking. If you honestly believe that, I do feel bad for you bc you obviously have no idea how to correctly use the term 'choke' in a sporting context. But I believe you're just trying to turn the tables on me for some reason because I accurately remarked about how Wise choked away the game in BSG by turning the ball over twice in the last minute and jacking up threes instead of running an offense. 

4 hours ago, BigWinners said:

Battle, Union was likely favored by most. It's not like Vegas puts out lines for VHSL 2A Mountain 7 conference games so there's nothing official. Wise? Most would have favored Central or had the game a toss up. Mullins played in the most recent meeting as opposed to the first meeting so anyone who strongly  favored Union is dumb. The Wiki said strongly favored, which Union would not have been in either game. 

I almost feel bad for you if you truly believe simply having a lead late in a game is choking. If you honestly believe that, I do feel bad for you bc you obviously have no idea how to correctly use the term 'choke' in a sporting context. But I believe you're just trying to turn the tables on me for some reason because I accurately remarked about how Wise choked away the game in BSG by turning the ball over twice in the last minute and jacking up threes instead of running an offense. 

Wise did choke. But so did Union. You offered a definition from Wikipedia that affirms both teams choked. We can go over that Wikipedia definition once again that was pointed out in my last post if you desire too. Anyway great conversing with you.  What's your thoughts on the NCAA tourney?Will Va make it to the final four or will Duke make it there?

2 hours ago, WAVE 316 said:

Wise did choke. But so did Union. You offered a definition from Wikipedia that affirms both teams choked. We can go over that Wikipedia definition once again that was pointed out in my last post if you desire too. Anyway great conversing with you.  What's your thoughts on the NCAA tourney?Will Va make it to the final four or will Duke make it there?

No, you're interpreting data in a way more favorable to your opinion but in a way that runs counter to how everyone else uses the expression 'choking' in the context of sports. 

I don't know if UVA makes a FF, their bracket will decide that. I think they're one of the four best teams in the nation but VT showed a blueprint to beat them by having excellent guard play, limiting turnovers and offensive rebounds, and creating fast break points when possible. Duke is one of the 6-7 best teams but I don't trust them. They could get hot and win it all or flame out in the second round. 

20 hours ago, BigWinners said:

No, you're interpreting data in a way more favorable to your opinion but in a way that runs counter to how everyone else uses the expression 'choking' in the context of sports. 

I don't know if UVA makes a FF, their bracket will decide that. I think they're one of the four best teams in the nation but VT showed a blueprint to beat them by having excellent guard play, limiting turnovers and offensive rebounds, and creating fast break points when possible. Duke is one of the 6-7 best teams but I don't trust them. They could get hot and win it all or flame out in the second round. 

Va has won some close games. I worry they have a poor offensive game and the other team gets hot from behind the arc and Va gets  out of their game plan. Duke seems to either falter big time in the tourney or become giant killers. Could there be a Cinderella team that no one made a fuss over and get crowned  as National champs?