Thad Wells Heading to Tarheel State?

tbgfan

4 minutes ago, Ryan4VT said:

It was awesome meeting you, too! You heading up today for the game?

I wish I could. At the moment, I’m cleaning up breakfast from seven 13 year olds. I believe this is gonna take a while. 

On ‎3‎/‎18‎/‎2018 at 12:46 AM, Ryan4VT said:

Bruins hired Eddie Sloss as the new coach. For those who don't know, he was Carroll County's coach. 

He stepped down in December to "spend more time with family." Guess he changed his mind. Not sure I like that hire for the Bruins. 

Also Sloss was a former Indian player who started both ways on  the 89 state championship team .  Also has spent time in B-burg, C-burg, and Auburn as an asst coach. Blacksburg kid, Blacksburg job as it should be. As for the record at Carroll , they had no business playing a River Ridge schedule , the 3 Rivers is no slouch but  they will do better there. 

2 hours ago, 1bburgfan said:

Also Sloss was a former Indian player who started both ways on  the 89 state championship team .  Also has spent time in B-burg, C-burg, and Auburn as an asst coach. Blacksburg kid, Blacksburg job as it should be. As for the record at Carroll , they had no business playing a River Ridge schedule , the 3 Rivers is no slouch but  they will do better there. 

Mike Scharnus took Carroll to the playoffs 3 times in his 4 years at Carroll while a member of the old New River District that was made up of many current River Ridge programs. Dave Haynie was successful at Carroll as a member of the Southwest District. 

As long as current leadership in Carroll teaches inferiority, that’s exactly what they will be. It’s a school of 1,200 students playing in a District with the second largest school being half that size. 

Good luck with that “Blacksburg kid, Blacksburg job” ideal!

• 6 months later...
On 2/13/2018 at 11:25 AM, sixcat said:

The conference Wells is going into had 5 of 8 6 of 8 schools reach the state tournament last season in football.  Three of those five six schools reached the state final-4.  The I-Meck-8 conference is the toughest single conference in all of North Carolina regardless of sport, and that's saying something.  Moorseville is the smallest of the 8 schools at nearly 1,800 students.

My brothers kids go to one of those schools, Hough.  I've been to a lot of athletic events through the years with him.  I love high school athletics in SWVA, but there is no comparison to what you see down there.

For anyone interested, Thad Wells' Mooresville team is 7-2 in an absolute juggernaut of a conference (see above for the ridiculousness).  The two loses were 12-7 to Hough, where my brothers kids attend.  Hough is 8-0 with eight players currently signed to play Division 1 football next season.  The other loss was to Vance who is 7-1 with their only loss coming to powerhouse Mallard Creek. 

Hough plays Mallard Creek November 2nd and Vance November 9th.  I have to decide whether to stay home for Galax/Grayson or travel to see Hough/Mallard Creek. 

The I-Mech 8 conference currently has 3 schools in the state top 9 and 6 schools in the state top 25.

10 minutes ago, sixcat said:

For anyone interested, Thad Wells' Mooresville team is 7-2 in an absolute juggernaut of a conference (see above for the ridiculousness).  The two loses were 12-7 to Hough, where my brothers kids attend.  Hough is 8-0 with eight players currently signed to play Division 1 football next season.  The other loss was to Vance who is 7-1 with their only loss coming to powerhouse Mallard Creek. 

Hough plays Mallard Creek November 2nd and Vance November 9th.  I have to decide whether to stay home for Galax/Grayson or travel to see Hough/Mallard Creek. 

The I-Mech 8 conference currently has 3 schools in the state top 9 and 6 schools in the state top 25.

I’m not surprised. Thad is one of the best coaches around. I don’t expect him to stay in high school much longer. He’s good enough to make the jump to an OC in college. 

10 minutes ago, Ryan4VT said:

I’m not surprised. Thad is one of the best coaches around. I don’t expect him to stay in high school much longer. He’s good enough to make the jump to an OC in college. 

That's the most ridiculously competitive area I've ever seen in person.  And I saw Drew Brees, Tommy Banks and Bradie James play in high school while in the military.   

One 8-team conference sent 6 teams to the playoffs with 3 of those teams reaching the state semifinals last season!

That conference is the best in the state from top to bottom. There are only 2 bad teams in the conference, those being Hopewell (0-8) and Lake Norman (2-7). North Meck and West Charlotte are also competitive to some extent and will make the playoffs and give that conference 6 teams to get in.

1 hour ago, sixcat said:

You may not want to miss the Hough and MC game. It may be a classic, especially with all of the transfers that Hough got in this summer.