Region D Runnerup -  Wise Central

VHSL State Semifinals

Radford vs Dan River

VHSL State Championship

Radford vs Robert E. Lee

VHSL Class 2A State Champions

Radford Bobcats

2 hours ago, Weatherman said:

I thought Grayson County would be in there somewhere.

They will be... His are definitely incorrect or he's just trying to predict what they will be or something.

Only matchups set in stone at this point are:

M7 #4 John Battle at SWD #1 Graham in boys and

M7 #4 Gate City at SWD #1 Virginia High in girls

2 hours ago, swva_havok_fan said:

They will be... His are definitely incorrect or he's just trying to predict what they will be or something.

Only matchups set in stone at this point are:

M7 #4 John Battle at SWD #1 Graham in boys and

M7 #4 Gate City at SWD #1 Virginia High in girls

He's just trolling. Grayson would have been included if it was an honest assessment. 

1 hour ago, HowTheWestWasWon2017 said:

Wow!  I did not know Grayson was in Region D. Changes everything for me. Grayson will take that region. They gave the Bobcats a great game!  I predict they win the Region!  

Makes our path to a championship even easier!

LMMFAO!  Gate City would beat Grayson by 20+!  Graham would probably beat Grayson.  Grayson didn't even win their district!  George Wythe did.  Lol

Besides Grayson would play Gate City in the semis, meaning that loser is done.  No way in HELL is Gate City letting their season end that early.

4 minutes ago, swva_havok_fan said:

LMMFAO!  Gate City would beat Grayson by 20+!  Graham would probably beat Grayson.  Grayson didn't even win their district!  George Wythe did.  Lol

To be fair, George Wythe won the MED on a coin flip.  But you're right, I don't see Grayson beating either Gate City or Graham.  Grayson is very good and would be competitive on a regional and state level in most years but this isn't "most years".  Gate City and Graham are exceptionally talented.  

As I said in another thread, Grayson gave Radford all it wanted and then some.  Wes Ayers had 21 points, 11 rebounds, 6 assists and 5 steals.  If Radford thinks it had a tough night guarding Ayers, wait till they see McClung, Ervin and Dean.  In my opinion and from what I've seen, Graham and Gate City both would beat Radford handily.

1 hour ago, Hokie101 said:

What about the state quarters and semis, will they be played at the higher seed or a neutral site?

At higher seed supersite, so most likely UVA-Wise for Region D winner.  Probably either Radford U or Salem Civic Center for Region C winner.

If both number 1 seeds advance to the semis, I am not sure what determines who gets home court.

8 minutes ago, sixcat said:

To be fair, George Wythe won the MED on a coin flip.  But you're right, I don't see Grayson beating either Gate City or Graham.  Grayson is very good and would be competitive on a regional and state level in most years but this isn't "most years".  Gate City and Graham are exceptionally talented.  

As I said in another thread, Grayson gave Radford all it wanted and then some.  Wes Ayers had 21 points, 11 rebounds, 6 assists and 5 steals.  If Radford thinks it had a tough night guarding Ayers, wait till they see McClung, Ervin and Dean.  In my opinion and from what I've seen, Graham and Gate City both would beat Radford handily.

Didn't realize that, I just saw the MED seedings and seen that GW was #1 seed and Grayson was #2 seed.  Why did they not have a one game playoff like everyone else does?  I would've thought an #1 seed in region would've been on the line for a one game playoff winner.

The Radford folks are basing their opinion on Gate City of what they saw at Chance Harman where they didn't beat Floyd County by as much as most people would figure.  So, ever since then over on that other site, the Radford folks have been quite confident that they will beat Gate City if and when it happens. 

Just now, swva_havok_fan said:

Didn't realize that, I just saw the MED seedings and seen that GW was #1 seed and Grayson was #2 seed.  Why did they not have a one game playoff like everyone else does?  I would've thought an #1 seed in region would've been on the line for a one game playoff winner.

The Radford folks are basing their opinion on Gate City of what they saw at Chance Harman where they didn't beat Floyd County by as much as most people would figure.  So, ever since then over on that other site, the Radford folks have been quite confident that they will beat Gate City if and when it happens. 

The MED, and several other districts, settle potential ties with a pre-season con flip.  I'm not sure why but feel certain weather often plays a role as Grayson often struggles to get all weather delayed games made up anyway.

I was at the Chance Harmon.  If Radford (or anyone else for that matter) base anything on what Gate City showed, they are playing right into the hands of Gate City.  GC didn't need to show anything.  Floyd is weak at best.  Why show your hand in a game that wasn't in doubt before it even began?

The other side of that coin, Radford struggled mightily to contain Ayers in the Grayson game and Adam Horton in two games against Carroll.  Both Carroll games were very close and should concern anyone viewing Radford without rose-colored glasses.  Carroll won 3 games all season and Radford needed late heroics by Morton-Robertson to pull out wins.  Carroll actually lead the majority of both games, had the lead at halftime in both games and exposed Radford's weakness for not being able to contain length.  Something Gate City has in spades.

33 minutes ago, swva_havok_fan said:

To me, it would be foolish for them to assume that no matter what. Especially since Floyd was such an inferior team and the game was a distance away it would be expectedly for Gate City not to play up to their potential.

When the Most prolific scorer in VHSL history rolls into town with a 6’5 (?) D1 Recruit and another D1 recruit who has range anywhere across half court on his team, it’s gonna take a special effort from Radford or anyone else IMO. 

IMO, if Dean scores in double figures, nobody will beat GC.  MM and Zac will get theirs but the difference maker to me is Dean.  If he's on early and looks for his shot throughout the game then lookout.  If he's more looking to pass the ball to the other two then the game will be tight.  All in all, this time of year anything can happen because they don't call it March Madness for nothing, or in high school February Madness.

5 hours ago, HowTheWestWasWon2017 said:

Wow!  I did not know Grayson was in Region D. Changes everything for me. Grayson will take that region. They gave the Bobcats a great game!  I predict they win the Region!  

Makes our path to a championship even easier!

😂😂😂😂😂😂

On 2/13/2018 at 11:23 PM, HowTheWestWasWon2017 said:

Go Bobcats!!!

Region D Quarterfinals

4)John Battle at 1)Graham

3)Lebanon at 2)Wise Central

1)Gate City vs. 4)Virginia High

3)Union at 2)Grayson County

This isn't right. Richlands is locked into a playoff spot. With a win vs. Lebanon, they'll be the 3 seed and head to Central. With a loss to Lebanon, they'll be the 4 seed and head to Gate City. 

1 hour ago, Ryan4VT said:

This isn't right. Richlands is locked into a playoff spot. With a win vs. Lebanon, they'll be the 3 seed and head to Central. With a loss to Lebanon, they'll be the 4 seed and head to Gate City. 

Even if Virginia High pulls off a 1980 USA Hockey style upset and wins the SWD tournament?

Also, it's not set in stone that Central will be the 2 seed out of the M7 yet.  If Union beats them tonight, Union will be the 2 seed and Central will have to go to Grayson County.

4 minutes ago, swva_havok_fan said:

Even if Virginia High pulls off a 1980 USA Hockey style upset and wins the SWD tournament?

Also, it's not set in stone that Central will be the 2 seed out of the M7 yet.  If Union beats them tonight, Union will be the 2 seed and Central will have to go to Grayson County.

Let's be real, no one is beating Graham lol. But yes, if VHS or LHS were to go on a run to win the SWD, then they would likely jump up. I'm just working off of what has transpired in the past this season, and no SWD team has beaten Graham lol.

1 minute ago, Ryan4VT said:

Let's be real, no one is beating Graham lol. But yes, if VHS or LHS were to go on a run to win the SWD, then they would likely jump up. I'm just working off of what has transpired in the past this season, and no SWD team has beaten Graham lol.

We know that, but he's a Radford guy who doesn't know squat about region D and was making predictions I believe.  Lol

Mitchell is nursing a high ankle sprain from the Battle game last week. Obviously slowed and not effective in the paint tonight.  Union hung close for most of the game and led at one point. Falin has played really well the last few games with Mitchell slowed. Guard play was the issue again tonight IMO. To many turnovers and to much dribbling around in circles. We can’t stop Mullins from getting to the basket. Centrals whole game plan is to isolate him up top and let him drive. 

If I’m Coach Moore Mitchell don’t see the floor Saturday in the consolation game with Abingdon since it’s meaningless.