Region D Brackets

swva_havok_fan

Ryan, the Martinsville AD texted this afternoon and said The Mavahi-Graham game would be played at UVa-Wise as part of a quadruple header with the lady Dogs playing Central the first game then Eastside girls and boys playing next then Dogs-GMen in the nitecap. Just got the text little over a hour ago. On Saturday.

2 hours ago, pdfan said:

Ryan, the Martinsville AD texted this afternoon and said The Mavahi-Graham game would be played at UVa-Wise as part of a quadruple header with the lady Dogs playing Central the first game then Eastside girls and boys playing next then Dogs-GMen in the nitecap. Just got the text little over a hour ago. On Saturday.

Gate City-Radford in a place that Gate City has not played particularly well this season.  I think Gate City still wins, but you’d have to give Radford a puncher’s chance, especially how they defend.

4 hours ago, Maroons67 said:

Is it true that GC would  not shake hands after the game nor accept their runner-up trophy?

Absolutely false.  GC lined up and shook hands to congratulate Graham and then they got their trophy.  What they didn't do was pose for a team picture like the other teams had done in the previous games.  To me, there isn't anything wrong with that because that's not the trophy they are seeking.  Yea winning the region would be great but luckily it doesn't mean you can't still win the state.

3 hours ago, pdfan said:

I’m just going by the official bracket posted on the VHSL’s site. 

29 minutes ago, UVAObserver said:

Gate City-Radford in a place that Gate City has not played particularly well this season.  I think Gate City still wins, but you’d have to give Radford a puncher’s chance, especially how they defend.

I think you may have mis read that. Radford-GC will be at Raford U

54 minutes ago, UVAObserver said:

I did, thanks.  But I’m shocked the VHSL would allow Radford to host a “neutral site” game there.

It looks like VHSL now considers any facility that's not your home court a "neutral site" . Wise Central girls are hosting Mavahi girls at UVA-W.

1 hour ago, UVAObserver said:

I did, thanks.  But I’m shocked the VHSL would allow Radford to host a “neutral site” game there.

Yeah, especially since they’re sending graham a couple hours away to “host” Martinsville... who will have both boys and girls (who both lost in the region championship btw) playing there so they should have a ton of fan support there. 

4 hours ago, blueinbama said:

That might be a first!

You're so clever. Came out of the woodwork to post that. Bet you've been working on that for weeks now. 

4 hours ago, GMan said:

Good idea...

Just take the compliment, damn. Dunno why you have to keep poking. You guys had a fantastic win that I (nor most anyone else) never saw coming. I'll be hoping you guys keep playing and have at least one Region D team in the final. I'm happy for the Graham kids to accomplish what they've accomplished. 

31 minutes ago, EH31 said:

Yeah, especially since they’re sending graham a couple hours away to “host” Martinsville... who will have both boys and girls (who both lost in the region championship btw) playing there so they should have a ton of fan support there. 

Tazewell gym was already booked apparently. But that doesn't explain why they just didn't choose Lebanon or Virginia High instead. 

1 hour ago, EH31 said:

Martinsville will be lucky to have a couple of 100 people there. The last time they came to Wise was 2 years ago with a team who eventually won the state championship and I bet they didn't have but about 200 people from here. Just don't travel like they used to.

9 hours ago, pdfan said:

Martinsville will be lucky to have a couple of 100 people there. The last time they came to Wise was 2 years ago with a team who eventually won the state championship and I bet they didn't have but about 200 people from here. Just don't travel like they used to.

not many at all showed for the Radford game, and both teams were playing also.

12 hours ago, BigWinners said:

You're so clever. Came out of the woodwork to post that. Bet you've been working on that for weeks now.

You're just too easy.   Most of us would have easily let that go.  But we know you're a simple target, so why not provide a laugh or two just for entertainment sake? 

17 hours ago, UVAObserver said:

Radford has a " punchers chance" . Wow. I think this will be a good game, 2 very good teams. Radford does play good defense,,they go 10 deep and keep rotating players. But, they are very athletic, they can run with anybody. That's just not Cormanys thing. He emphasizes defense, no defense - you sit. Radford doesnt score as many points as Gate City, but they could. Radford chooses to have efficient possessions  and control tempo. With the point gaurd,(Morton-Robertson) they can play as slow or fast as they like. You won't get the ball.

Radford will shows  how athletic they are, when there is a scramble for a loose ball ( Radford generates a lot of loose balls). They win most of those battles score on a fast break, then slow it back down and run a very dicliplined offense.

SWVA boys basketball has been mediocre for decades. The M7 is weak as water on the boys side,and it bears out when the 1 horse race that the M7 is  loses come state tourney time. The truth offends and hurts,people get defensive with it,want to live in denial about it,but running roughshod over lesser opposition kills GC come crunch time. Compare the number of state titles in boy's basketball to the schools outside of SWVA if you are stupid enough to try to argue it. The girls for 20 years have badly outperformed the boys. The girls have placed state championship trophies in the trophy case while the boys remain empty (think Central is something like 168-26 since consolidation?) The poor old LPD hadn't seen a state champ in boys since the 1974 PV squad (how sad is that?). Year after year in the M7 girls,one of the FOUR perennial state powers in this conference (Central,Ridgeview,Gate City -who lost to Central in an all M7 state title tilt),and now Abingdon is a force to be reckoned with and a serious state title threat. That doesn't happen on the boys side,so pardon me if I laugh when somebody thumps chest about beating a M7 boys team (or any boys team from SWVA for that matter. None are juggernauts,so you stand corrected if you feel it's an "obligatory" post. What it is is a factual one:). "Wait till football season (the "obligatory" battle cry of SWVA boys basketball)

52 minutes ago, carolinahokie64 said:

Radford has a " punchers chance" . Wow. I think this will be a good game, 2 very good teams. Radford does play good defense,,they go 10 deep and keep rotating players. But, they are very athletic, they can run with anybody. That's just not Cormanys thing. He emphasizes defense, no defense - you sit. Radford doesnt score as many points as Gate City, but they could. Radford chooses to have efficient possessions  and control tempo. With the point gaurd,(Morton-Robertson) they can play as slow or fast as they like. You won't get the ball.

Radford will shows  how athletic they are, when there is a scramble for a loose ball ( Radford generates a lot of loose balls). They win most of those battles score on a fast break, then slow it back down and run a very dicliplined offense.

I have attended three Radford games this season.  All three games they struggled to contain length.  Wes Ayers from Grayson and twice against Adam Horton from Carroll.  In all honesty, Carroll should have won both games against Radford.  They led the vast majority of both games.  I agree Radford will defend and keep the game close but I think they will struggle again with the length of McClung and Ervin.

I'm not a fan of either program.  This is just my honest, unbiased observation after seeing both teams play on several occasions.