Region D Brackets

swva_havok_fan

But they didn't loose to a 24-4, Grayson county... They won by 9. The games last 4 quarters. Yes they could have lost (not should've), but the didn't. You can find games like that on any schedule. Good teams find a way to win.

Thea were without Milas Jones (6'6"center), the first game against Carroll County. Won by 9. Could've not should've.

The second game against Carroll County won by 17,Jones in a heavy knee brace, limping. 

52 minutes ago, carolinahokie64 said:

But they didn't loose to a 24-4, Grayson county... They won by 9. The games last 4 quarters. Yes they could have lost (not should've), but the didn't. You can find games like that on any schedule. Good teams find a way to win.

Thea were without Milas Jones (6'6"center), the first game against Carroll County. Won by 9. Could've not should've.

The second game against Carroll County won by 17,Jones in a heavy knee brace, limping. 

Carroll was a 3 win team in a relatively weak district that played a ridiculously weak schedule.  They lead Radford twice for 3 quarters.  I get the whole "woulda, coulda, shoulda" argument but the point remains (and seemingly skipped right over your head) Radford struggled mightily, twice, against a 3 win team because they couldn't control the length of Adam Horton.    

Length and size are two distinctly different things on a basketball court! 

23 minutes ago, sixcat said:

Carroll was a 3 win team in a relatively weak district that played a ridiculously weak schedule.  They lead Radford twice for 3 quarters.  I get the whole "woulda, coulda, shoulda" argument but the point remains (and seemingly skipped right over your head) Radford struggled mightily, twice, against a 3 win team because they couldn't control the length of Adam Horton.    

Length and size are two distinctly different things on a basketball court! 

Yes, the contention that 6' 6" is not as long as 6'3" does go over my head. Radford struggled without their center ( against a bad team) they were flat, and won by 9 anyway. the second game they won by 17 ( in your world "struggled mightily") with limited center play. I guess they do struggle with length ( without their starting center).A lot of teams would like to call a 17 point win, a "struggle". But he's 95 percent healthy now. Your struggle with length argument is horse****.

Correction : Horton is listed from 6'3" to 6'6", Jones 6'6" to 6'7".Point is: he makes a big difference against size or "length".

11 minutes ago, carolinahokie64 said:

Yes, the contention that 6' 6" is not as long as 6'3" does go over my head. Radford struggled without their center ( against a bad team) they were flat, and won by 9 anyway. the second game they won by 17 ( in your world "struggled mightily") with limited center play. I guess they do struggle with length ( without their starting center).A lot of teams would like to call a 17 point win, a "struggle". But he's 95 percent healthy now. Your struggle with length argument is horse****.

You don't know what you don't know!  You're still stuck on size.  A 6'-0" guard with a 6'-0" wingspan trying to defend a 6'-3" guard with a 6'-7" wingspan is a mismatch.  Horton is not a center!  Guard him with your center, he will blow past them.  Guard him with your guards, he will play over them.  Radford struggled the three times I saw them attempt to match up to that very scenario. 

Gate City has three of those players! 

13 minutes ago, sixcat said:

You don't know what you don't know!  You're still stuck on size.  A 6'-0" guard with a 6'-0" wingspan trying to defend a 6'-3" guard with a 6'-7" wingspan is a mismatch.  Horton is not a center!  Guard him with your center, he will blow past them.  Guard him with your guards, he will play over them.  Radford struggled the three times I saw them attempt to match up to that very scenario. 

This is, coincidentally, what kills opposing teams against UVA.  Hunter is 6’7” but has a 7’2” wingspan.  Jerome is 6’5” but has a 6’8” wingspan.  So on and so forth.  Length is a killer.

1 hour ago, carolinahokie64 said:

I should also point out, Grayson may have been 22-4 but they only played 9 games against competition above the 1A level.  Of those 9 games, only three came this year!  Fort Chiswell twice and Union in the playoffs.

Grayson, hopefully, learned a valuable lesson.  Playing weaker competition doesn't prepare you to beat Radford or Union come February.

5 minutes ago, sixcat said:

You don't know what you don't know!  You're still stuck on size.  A 6'-0" guard with a 6'-0" wingspan trying to defend a 6'-3" guard with a 6'-7" wingspan is a mismatch.  Radford struggled the three times I saw them attempt to match up to that very scenario. 

I will take Radford defence "guards included" against any other team region 2D or 2C. Except, Graham , they are better than all others on D Gate City will be doing good to score  in the high 50's.  

Just now, carolinahokie64 said:

I will take Radford defence "guards included" against any other team region 2D or 2C. Except, Graham , they are better than all others on D Gate City will be doing good to score  in the high 50's.  

Gate City has failed to score 70 only 3 times in 29 games and you're suggesting "high 50's".  Wow!  Lofty goals, I like that! 

I know I will be here even if Radford wins.  Will you have to onions to come back if they don't?

13 minutes ago, sixcat said:

Gate City has failed to score 70 only 3 times in 29 games and you're suggesting "high 50's".  Wow!  Lofty goals, I like that! 

I know I will be here even if Radford wins.  Will you have to onions to come back if they don't?

Radford has only given up 60  three times. They will slow the tempo down, GC will have fewer possesions. Gate City is very good and will still score alone more than the 43 points a game that radford gives up. I would put the over under around 58, 59. like I said a very good close game.

Oh, yeah I will be here. You will have some explaining to do. Can't wait.

6 hours ago, blueinbama said:

You're just too easy.   Most of us would have easily let that go.  But we know you're a simple target, so why not provide a laugh or two just for entertainment sake? 

Jeez, ya burned me again! How will I go on? Your quick wit and venomous tongue makes it impossible for anyone to get one over on you. I guess all those months you spent hiding were well spent, writing down these killer jokes.  

6 hours ago, GMan said:

'Cause you're a Bear...

See-a-sleeping-bear.jpg

That was legit funny. I thought it was some reference to the bear community for gays, but I'm not nearly hairy enough. I can't even grow a proper beard. It legit took me a minute to realize you meant a Union Bear lol. Maybe you can give blueinbama some tips, he's terrible at verbal jousting. 

Why didn't Graham try and get the game at VHS or somewhere closer than Wise? Graham played extremely well on that floor but still a long-ish drive.

4 hours ago, Unchained said:

SWVA boys basketball has been mediocre for decades. The M7 is weak as water on the boys side,and it bears out when the 1 horse race that the M7 is  loses come state tourney time. The truth offends and hurts,people get defensive with it,want to live in denial about it,but running roughshod over lesser opposition kills GC come crunch time. Compare the number of state titles in boy's basketball to the schools outside of SWVA if you are stupid enough to try to argue it. The girls for 20 years have badly outperformed the boys. The girls have placed state championship trophies in the trophy case while the boys remain empty (think Central is something like 168-26 since consolidation?) The poor old LPD hadn't seen a state champ in boys since the 1974 PV squad (how sad is that?). Year after year in the M7 girls,one of the FOUR perennial state powers in this conference (Central,Ridgeview,Gate City -who lost to Central in an all M7 state title tilt),and now Abingdon is a force to be reckoned with and a serious state title threat. That doesn't happen on the boys side,so pardon me if I laugh when somebody thumps chest about beating a M7 boys team (or any boys team from SWVA for that matter. None are juggernauts,so you stand corrected if you feel it's an "obligatory" post. What it is is a factual one:). "Wait till football season (the "obligatory" battle cry of SWVA boys basketball)

The Union girls have been at least as successful as GC in last lil bit, they lost a title game a couple years ago as well. 

1 minute ago, BigWinners said:

The Union girls have been at least as successful as GC in last lil bit, they lost a title game a couple years ago as well. 

The emergence of the Lady Bears further illustrates my point:). It is crazy to think that there's 5 solid programs in a 7 team league

1 minute ago, Unchained said:

The emergence of the Lady Bears further illustrates my point:). It is crazy to think that there's 5 solid programs in a 7 team league

I think Union, along with RV, were only teams to beat Wise this year. I don't think this Wise team is quite as good as years past, but they should still be one of the favorites if the guard is hitting her shots and the post player is controlling the game. I honestly thought RV was the best girls team I've seen this year but they didn't show up and got sent home early. The M7 is clearly a football/girls bball conference, once McClung is gone no M7 team is a real threat. 

But I do gotta point out that three of the final four Region D teams were M7 teams lol, but I think that speaks more to Richlands and VHS being down than the M7 being great.

4 minutes ago, BigWinners said:

I think Union, along with RV, were only teams to beat Wise this year. I don't think this Wise team is quite as good as years past, but they should still be one of the favorites if the guard is hitting her shots and the post player is controlling the game. I honestly thought RV was the best girls team I've seen this year but they didn't show up and got sent home early. The M7 is clearly a football/girls bball conference, once McClung is gone no M7 team is a real threat. 

But I do gotta point out that three of the final four Region D teams were M7 teams lol, but I think that speaks more to Richlands and VHS being down than the M7 being great.

Robin Dotson has done an amazing job with this bunch. They lost Church,Mullins,and Caldwell-total rebuilding mode. Not many others could pull that off and be 25-2. I don't know how far they'll go but this has been perhaps his best coaching season in his career

Allen Gregory Retweeted

Cindy Quillen Rollison @cindyrollison

We will be broadcasting the @Radford_Bobcats vs. @bluedevilslive VHSL Boys State Quarter-Final game on March 2nd on @mix100fm Tip-Off is 8:30pm at RU’s Dedmon Center You can listen on-air at 100.7fm, online at http://www.mix100fm.com  or mobile app and/or Next Radio app

great state

2 hours ago, Unchained said:

Robin Dotson has done an amazing job with this bunch. They lost Church,Mullins,and Caldwell-total rebuilding mode. Not many others could pull that off and be 25-2. I don't know how far they'll go but this has been perhaps his best coaching season in his career

Don't talk them up too much. You may give him the big head before the playoffs. He is a poster on this board. 

50 minutes ago, Ryan4VT said:

Don't talk them up too much. You may give him the big head before the playoffs. He is a poster on this board. 

He's also, IMO, the best coach in any sport in the area. Just an absolutely fantastic coach who is respected immensely by his peers. 

Robin Dotson is probably the most well respected head coach in SWVA history and very well deserved. To take the teams he has had and to constantly win and be in post season play and chances to win state titles speaks for himself. This years team has probably required the most coaching and they are playing in the state tournament. His records shows what kind of coach he is. Nothing but well wishes for the Central Warriors and Eastside Spartans this weekend!!!!

44 minutes ago, #BBN said:

Robin Dotson is probably the most well respected head coach in SWVA history and very well deserved. To take the teams he has had and to constantly win and be in post season play and chances to win state titles speaks for himself. This years team has probably required the most coaching and they are playing in the state tournament. His records shows what kind of coach he is. Nothing but well wishes for the Central Warriors and Eastside Spartans this weekend!!!!

There have been a LOT of great, well-respected coaches in SWVA history, I dunno if any coach could claim that honor solely. But I echo those sentiments, I hope all five SWVA teams advance and keep rolling. I'm hoping at worst three move on. 

15 hours ago, BigWinners said:

Jeez, ya burned me again! How will I go on? Your quick wit and venomous tongue makes it impossible for anyone to get one over on you. I guess all those months you spent hiding were well spent, writing down these killer jokes.  

Remember when you disappeared for a while and no one cared? And you weren't even banned. Lol!

I'm impressed that you are keeping up with my post history.  Atta boy.  I enjoy watching you get all worked up over the simplest little comments, like "That might be a first".  We all do. 

By the way, you can stop sucking up to Gman.  He's probably not going to ban you again.  You're too much live entertainment.  But the sucking up is embarrassing to watch. 

42 minutes ago, Gridiron60 said:

Does anyone know how the Baker boy from Graham is doing? Will he be playing this weekend? 

Did he not go back in after his injury on Saturday?