The End of an Era!

sixcat

Long time Galax basketball coach Verl Brown announced his retirement after Galax lost the Region 1C quarterfinal to Parry McClure.  I didn't attend Galax schools so, I didn't have the pleasure of playing for him.  My brother and I competed against him and always respected his leadership and dedication to his kids.  And make no mistake, each and every kid that has came through the Galax school system over the past 35 years are his kids!  

He has devoted his life to making this community a better place for all of us.  I can only hope he remains a fixture and enjoys his retirement!

Thanks coach!

• 3 months later...

Worst kept "secret" in Virginia!  Mark Dixon has officially been named boys head varsity basketball coach at Galax. 

Many, many other changes "officially" announced as well.  Not the least of which, a new principal and assistant principal at all three schools!  We're hopeful things will improve with new leadership but fear the wrong leaders are being replaced.  Discipline has been a major issue in recent years, especially at the high school.  The most recent elections were a glaring mandate on city council to effect change within the school system.  We shall see if the first wave of changes are effective!