Richlands

WAVE 316

On 2/22/2018 at 11:38 PM, WAVE 316 said:

I have read negative posts in the past about Coach Phillips of Richlands. From what Central Wise folks were posting after the Richlands-Central game Wed night at UVA Wise they had nothing but praise and admiration for Coach Phillips and the Richlands team for outstanding sportsmanship. In a time of discord and division all across America I think this is very refreshing to see. If any were at the game and would like to elaborate, please do.

I heard he was the backstabber that cost that Fuller guy the head coaching job. The Fuller man had a son that played on Richland team also. Richland had another kid that was by far the best athlete, but Phillips tried to high light his son lost state quarterfinals game last year. From what I’ve heard about him I’m glad Richland got him. I know some folks in Richland area that don’t have the same “ class act “ praises! 

On 2/25/2018 at 12:11 PM, F@lcon said:

But the most important question to Fred is how many points and headlines would his son have given up to allow Fuller to stay.

They had another kid that was by far the best athlete. 

On 2/25/2018 at 12:11 PM, F@lcon said:

But the most important question to Fred is how many points and headlines would his son have given up to allow Fuller to stay.

The most important question I have for Fred is whose name is on next year's Super Bowl trophy. 

7 hours ago, T52OS said:

I heard he was the backstabber that cost that Fuller guy the head coaching job. The Fuller man had a son that played on Richland team also. Richland had another kid that was by far the best athlete, but Phillips tried to high light his son lost state quarterfinals game last year. From what I’ve heard about him I’m glad Richland got him. I know some folks in Richland area that don’t have the same “ class act “ praises! 

Could you please, for the love of all things holy, spell the damn town/school right? It's RichlandS. Not Richland. See the 's' on the end?!?!? 

I'm not much on rehashing stuff but with regards to last years team.  That team had the potential to be great.  Don't get me wrong, getting as far as they did was a great accomplishment but the potential was there to go further.  The way they were coached, for example, subbing 5 in 5 out almost the entire year.  The players could not get into a rhythm.  They did not go to an 8 man rotation until the district tourney game against Graham.  Should have been used all year.  And I agree, the best athlete on that team was not utilized correctly.  He should have ran the point.  When they played Union in the Regional game and used the best athlete on the team aka Scottie Ball at point.  Union had Mitchell on him and he couldn't stay with him.  Scottie at point made great decisions.  He didn't have to shoot.  He was always looking for the open man.  But it is all what ifs at this point!!!

I haven't posted on here before. I've really lurked on the board to see how things are going with sports in the area I grew up. I don't get to watch any games due to living out of the area now. Having said that, the continued comments about Fred have prompted a response. It is laughable for someone to be in denial about how Fred got the job. Would Richlands have had a better season last year with Fuller? Who knows, but I would say yes 

3 hours ago, Flavoid said:

You are right about the central argument and statements about politics. You are right about Fred over Fuller in the beginning and who should have probably received the job in the first place. However I don't agree with the rest. 

On 2/25/2018 at 11:55 AM, EH31 said:

When it all happened I had a source working in the Richlands system that said Fuller fell out of favor because the Moir boy wasn’t starting-and/or- getting enough PT. I don’t know if Fred had a back door deal or not but when both coaches get fired and told they could both reapply for the job but the assistant ends up with the head job it seems pretty fishy. Even if Fred really had nothing to do with it it’s still okay to look down on how everything was handled because of how dirty Fuller was done. 

When all this is forgotten about we’ll look back and see that Richlands had their best season ever and finally won a region playoff game and made the state tournament, but how much better could that team have been had they not ran Fuller and son out of town and kept Lowe in the starting 5 along with an athletic Howie coming off the bench? 

I’m told that Phillips was the backstabber all the way! Then made it to State quarter finals and lost because of trying to high light his son. Richland only scored 40 points for the game. One kid had 25 of those points, and he didn’t touch the ball the last 1:00 of the game. Just spending my 2 cents how many high school programs have you seen run in 5 subs at a time?? You can win like that. I hope Phillips stays in Richland won’t have to be concerned with beating that program!