2018 MLB Thread

1. Will the Nats sign Jake Arietta?

I hope not

This isn't 2015  

2. Will Bryce Harper be in West Palm again next Spring?

I hope not

Not for $400 mil

3. Will the Nats tolerate another bad season from C, Matt Weiters?

I hope not

Poor D and Mendoza line numbers are a bad combo

4. Will the Nats break my heart AGAIN in the NLDS?

I hope not

But gotta beat CHC or LAD 

Until the Giancarlo trade, I thought the Yankees were a lock to get Harper (childhood team, biggest market, short porch in right). 

The BoSox's OF is shaping up nicely, so I don't think they'll get in a bidding war for him.

Prediction: The Phils will make the richest offer, but Kris Bryant will sway him to the Cubs. 

11 minutes ago, Liam McPoyle said:

Why do you want Harper? You already have Heyward in RF. :)

Hayward has an option in his contract after this season. Either party can opt out of the final 3 years. The Cubs wouldn’t overspend to bring Arrieta back. The market sets up nicely for Harper to come to Wrigley. 

Don't underestimate the Under Armour connection either. UA is the apparel provider and stadium sponsor for the Cubs. Even have UA logos in the Ivy. 

Beginning to look like Justin Grimm is auditioning for someone else. I will forever be grateful for his contributions, especially his performance in game 3 of the 2016 World Series. 

He is out of minor league options and costs $2 million more than Dillon Maples.  Grimmer isn’t likely to make the opening day roster and will be DFA’d. 

On 3/9/2018 at 2:52 PM, sixcat said:

Beginning to look like Justin Grimm is auditioning for someone else. I will forever be grateful for his contributions, especially his performance in game 3 of the 2016 World Series. 

He is out of minor league options and costs $2 million more than Dillon Maples.  Grimmer isn’t likely to make the opening day roster and will be DFA’d. 

The Cubs released Grimm today.  He will help improve the bullpen somewhere. I wish him nothing but the best.  I hate the business of baseball but love the Cubs giving him the opportunity to move on before the end of spring training.

• 2 weeks later...

8 hours ago, swva_havok_fan said:

Wonder if @sixcat was paying attention in Spring Training when JD made the bold prediction that Ian Happ would hit the first home run of the 2018 MLB season and the last home run of the 2018 MLB season (in the World Series)?  Well, JD is halfway there... :)

I was watching!

I was also watching yesterday when Happer hit the first pitch of the 2018 season 400 feet. 

• 1 month later...

This Braves team reminds me of the 2015 Cubs.  Stockpiled with young, aggressive, immensely talented kids who don't know they aren't supposed to compete for division titles yet.  They will be fun to watch over the next few years if the organization can surround them with the right mix of pitching and veteran leadership while keeping them all healthy. 

With that said, my Cubs are showing why it's a double edged sward to have that amount of young talent win that early.  They get arrogant, over confident and take that talent for granted.  Example, the most gifted middle infielder of my lifetime, Javy Baez, leads MLB with 8 errors through 30 games. He's never had more than 11 in any previous season.  

• 3 months later...

ABSOLUTELY DISGUSTING...pitcher for Marlins deliberately HIT Acuna, Jr. for the Braves!!!   Classless!!!  The Umps just tossed the Marlins pitcher.

A suspension should follow for the Marlins pitcher...cut and dried.   If Acuna takes you deep on a ball...throw a better pitch the next time!!!

Marc DavisVerified account @marcdavissports 7m7 minutes ago

Marc Davis Retweeted MLB

Would've liked to see it be more like 15 games so he has to miss two starts. Marlins can adjust rotation so he doesn't even have to miss one.

MLBVerified account @MLB

José Ureña suspended six games, fined for intentionally hitting Ronald Acuña Jr. in Marlins-Braves game on Wednesday. His suspension will begin tomorrow.

great state

• 2 weeks later...

How does Jacob deGrom retain sanity?  He has an ERA of 1.68 (1st in MLB), a WHIP of 0.98 (5th in MLB) in 182 innings (2nd in MLB) with opposing batters hitting .208 against him (9th in MLB).  And that's good for an 8-8 record!?!?!  I wouldn't have thought that possible before this season. 

deGrom has held opposing teams to 1 or fewer runs 9 times this season.  The Mets are 0-9 in those games.

3 hours ago, sixcat said:

How does Jacob deGrom retain sanity?  He has an ERA of 1.68 (1st in MLB), a WHIP of 0.98 (5th in MLB) in 182 innings (2nd in MLB) with opposing batters hitting .208 against him (9th in MLB).  And that's good for an 8-8 record!?!?!  I wouldn't have thought that possible before this season. 

deGrom has held opposing teams to 1 or fewer runs 9 times this season.  The Mets are 0-9 in those games.

This gives me flashbacks to my GHS baseball days.  We had pitchers who I know had sub 2.00 ERAs yet were 2-8.  I feel for him; bad W/L stats hurt contract negotiations with other teams that don’t favor advanced analytics as much.