State quarterfinals (3/2-3/3)

Beamerball

1 minute ago, Bluefield researcher said:

I saw close to 4000 but I find that hard to believe unless it has been changed since I was there years ago.

If that's the case then I can't say I blame Graham at all for doing that, however if its around the 1500 mark that I have heard others talk about that's pretty crappy for the fans on both sides and the VHSL.

8 hours ago, IRISH-FAN18 said:

You're the person that said McClung could sit and GC would still walk through the Region D, and now you're saying GC will probably lay the wood to Graham in the rematch. If Graham wins the rematch, man do I feel sorry for you cause the Graham faithful will troll the crap outta you! Lol

Yep. That’s me. After the game, I also posted that I stood corrected and cogratulated graham on their win. That’s what men do. Admit they were wrong. Got no problem with it. I also said Union would beat everyone by two scores in the region D playoffs in football this past season (Richlands almost spoiled the party. Much respect Blue Tornados!) and I heard about it. Didn’t pack up my tent and leave the forum. So what if graham does win. So what if someone, such as yourself, decides to call me out on it. Even after I admit I spoke incorrectly. Is it gonna change my kids birthday?  Will my paycheck change?  Nope. I’ll congratulate them, again, and cheer them on in the title game. Come one man. We are a bunch of has been a talking about high school sports. Just so happens we have had some special talent concentrated in Southwest Va this year that has brought this place to a fever pitch. That’s great. We need that in an area where some of these kids will come home from practice to find out mom or dad just got laid off. Or they have to move because the mines closed. 

In short. If your gonna quote my past post. Quote the whole thing. Don’t try to look good in front of your pals. Be a man. Do three minutes of research. You’ll find all you need to see. 

1 hour ago, Bluefield researcher said:

I saw close to 4000 but I find that hard to believe unless it has been changed since I was there years ago.

The VHSL lists it at 3,200. Not even close to big enough. 

I don't blame Graham at all for making GC travel as far as possible.  Long bus rides can account for 6-10 points in a big game.  Plus, you want to keep as many GC fans out as possible so that you have the crowd support.  That's part of the game.  GC does it all year by opening their doors at 5:00 and there are already 500+ people sitting in the stands.  Back door????

58 minutes ago, F@lcon said:

I don't blame Graham at all for making GC travel as far as possible.  Long bus rides can account for 6-10 points in a big game.  Plus, you want to keep as many GC fans out as possible so that you have the crowd support.  That's part of the game.  GC does it all year by opening their doors at 5:00 and there are already 500+ people sitting in the stands.  Back door????

This complaint doesn't surprise me coming from what I'm assuming is an Abingdon fan.

I would say TMS is at least 3000 and has hosted state playoff games before, so I don't see a problem.

A problem I do see is the VHSL ruining another opportunity for the kids to play a final four game at a big-time arena in a central location decided long before the season began. 

22 minutes ago, cityofRaven said:

I would say TMS is at least 3000 and has hosted state playoff games before, so I don't see a problem.

A problem I do see is the VHSL ruining another opportunity for the kids to play a final four game at a big-time arena in a central location decided long before the season began. 

This right here. 

2 hours ago, Boomhauer said:

If that's the case then I can't say I blame Graham at all for doing that, however if its around the 1500 mark that I have heard others talk about that's pretty crappy for the fans on both sides and the VHSL.

Definitely more than 1500.  I would guess 2,500 comfortably, 3,000-3250 squeezed and standing...

33 minutes ago, Boomhauer said:

No issues here then, if that's the case then Graham has every right to have the game there. 

3,200 simply isn’t enough, imo. If they do hold it there, the VHSL is going to lose anywhere from $10,000-15,000 dollars in revenue from this game. 

21 minutes ago, Ryan4VT said:

3,200 simply isn’t enough, imo. If they do hold it there, the VHSL is going to lose anywhere from $10,000-15,000 dollars in revenue from this game. 

It definitely isn't enough, I agree 100% with you. The VHSL also knows they are losing money but they should have thought about that before letting the schools decide where they're going to play their games. This is a unique situation though. Most of the the years we wouldn't have this special matchup. Maybe this special matchup deserves a special venue (GCMS, jk) but what do I know, the best team will win and hopefully will go on to win the championship. 

7 minutes ago, olewave said:

It is suppose to be about the kids, not the money!!!

Okay, going that route. If you were on one of those teams, would you rather play in front of 3,200 or 5,000? You’re robbing the kids who won’t play any farther after high school the opportunity to play in front of 5,000 people. 

Just now, Ryan4VT said:

Okay, going that route. If you were on one of those teams, would you rather play in front of 3,200 or 5,000? You’re robbing the kids who won’t play any farther after high school the opportunity to play in front of 5,000 people. 

I really don't think that they care about the people. They do care about their family's getting to see them. Now having said that they would think it was cool to play at a venue that they have seen on TV etc such as Virginia Tech or UVA but anything thing else below that they don't care about. My nephew plays for Graham and he has never even heard of VCU until recently. What the situation demonstrates is the lack of a good neutral facility in SWVA that is more centrally located. West Virginia does the final rounds of the basketball tournament much better. They reserve the Civic Center in Charleston and play the final eight in each class at a pre determined neutral site.

Honestly, any other venue in far Southwest Virginia would be closer to Gate City than Graham, thus being an advantage to the Devils.

If the Gate City and the fanbase wanted a better venue then they should have beat Graham last weekend.

Graham earned the right to host and have hosted state playoff games at TMS before so that's that.

Despite everyone thinking this is just the Mac McClung roadshow it's actually still the VHSL playoffs and with the system put in place this year, be it as bad as it is, this is what we have.  

3 minutes ago, cityofRaven said:

Honestly, any other venue in far Southwest Virginia would be closer to Gate City than Graham, thus being an advantage to the Devils.

If the Gate City and the fanbase wanted a better venue then they should have beat Graham last weekend.

Graham earned the right to host and have hosted state playoff games at TMS before so that's that.

Despite everyone thinking this is just the Mac McClung roadshow it's actually still the VHSL playoffs and with the system put in place this year, be it as bad as it is, this is what we have.  

^Guy is on fire. Beat Graham at Wise and GC could be hosting the game at Twin Springs. 

The best central location ever used by the VHSL was Liberty University in Lynchburg.  It was totally unfair to most teams when they began making everyone go to Richmond.  I think it is a good thing to let higher seeds.  They earned the right.

What about the logistics of parking at TMS for the game?  Parking will be at a premium for that size crowd.  Shuttling maybe from high school or area businesses?  The TCSD will definitely have their hands full. 

3 minutes ago, tbgfan said:

What about the logistics of parking at TMS for the game?  Parking will be at a premium for that size crowd.  Shuttling maybe from high school or area businesses?  The TCSD will definitely have their hands full. 

It would be cool if they had parking at the old McCann's lot and ran school bus shuttles.