Graham Clark Resigns

Falcon Mania

http://www.timesnews.net/Football/2018/04/23/D-B-promotes-Christian-to-head-coach.html?ci=stream&lp=3&p=1

From the article:

“I am thrilled to have the opportunity to continue my tenure on the Dobyns-Bennett football staff by assuming the role of Head Coach,” said Christian. “More than anyone, I understand what a privilege it is to be a part of the winningest high school football program in Tennessee. 

Looks like somebody needs to break the news to him that Murville passed DB up last year on that stat, and they're probably not looking back.

Christian will have a very short leash, maybe he is only a temp. solution untill they get who they want. Ballard from GREENVILLE will stay until his son graduates then who knows where he will be off to.I said from the start that to be the DB man you had to be a DB man. I worked in KINGSPORT for years with some really big football program supporters and they can throw the money at whomever they want, CHRISTIAN deserves his shot just like GRAHAM CLARK got his, but a sub .500 record will doom him quickly and next year may be a .500 % year 

3 hours ago, jarhead24219 said:

Christian will have a very short leash, maybe he is only a temp. solution untill they get who they want. Ballard from GREENVILLE will stay until his son graduates then who knows where he will be off to.I said from the start that to be the DB man you had to be a DB man. I worked in KINGSPORT for years with some really big football program supporters and they can throw the money at whomever they want, CHRISTIAN deserves his shot just like GRAHAM CLARK got his, but a sub .500 record will doom him quickly and next year may be a .500 % year 

DB swung big, they contacted Ballard (at Greeneville) and Rankin (at Alcoa) and rumored to have spoken to Quarles (at Furman) they were turned down. I don't know Coach Christian personally I played some softball against him years ago, but I have friends who do know him well and say he will be just fine. I wonder if the rumored candidates could handle the pressure at DB, but if you go by past performance all you have to do is make to the second round of the playoffs to be better then Clark was at times.

1 hour ago, Widespread_Panic said:

Very boring hire. DB is already falling behind Science Hill. This hire won't change that trend. 

It is somewhat surprising to me as well.  When they released the names to the media that did not include Christian I do not believe I was surprised also.  I know Greg Ryan has done a good job at Greenback recently but I truly expected them to bring in someone with more clout.  Had he not just taken the TL Hanna job I could have seen  Jeff Herron returning to the area for the DB job.  Really more surprised they didnt try taking Carter away SH.

According to the KTN today...they interviewed 8 candidates... reportedly offered the job to a WV high school HC...with no further explanation re: the offer.

The article  states, Christian, per the AD was "rising to the top all along.  He was the best choice for our kids at this time"

I thought it was a strange hire, considering all the bluster about a "national search". A poster on Coach T said that Christian was the guy all along and that the rest was just a smoke screen, but I highly doubt that. Quarles, Rankin and Ballard were pipe dreams that were never happening. The guy from Huntington (WVA) who was originally from Morristown (Seals?), Harless from Botetourt, Turner, Ryan (Greenback) and Witten all seemed like viable candidates, although it was hard to picture Travis Turner fitting in there. My guess is that at the end of the day, most of those guys turned them down. 

Christian may knock it out of the park, but they have a tough slate this year, and I don't know that they have much coming up. I saw Robinson get throttled by Dugger (Elizabethton) this year and I'm not sure, but I don't think they won more than 2 or 3 games, and I think one of those may have been against Sevier.

On ‎4‎/‎25‎/‎2018 at 8:10 AM, Widespread_Panic said:

Stacey Carter is still relatively young and has built Science Hill into a winner. He has brand new facilities and excellent numbers. Why would he retire from that situation? 

Science Hill is the only school capable in 6A, Region 1 of ever playing for or winning a state title, they have the facilities, coaching staff and athletes needed. I do not think it will ever happen but the other East Tennessee high schools (Knoxville Area) will soon be in the same boat as DB, Science Hill as the population of the Mid-State continues to explode, I think that the number now for the Nashville Metro area is  120 new residents per day and the population now is at 1.9 million and growing warp speed.