R.E. Lee v. Gate City: 2A State Championship

Deleted Account

2 minutes ago, UVAObserver said:

What say y’all?

I think Gate City rolls.  I know R.E. Lee is the defending champion, but I think McClung isn’t going to be denied.

Gate City - 74

R.E. Lee - 59

What did Lee lose from last season?

They lost all but two starters from last season I think.  Their best player is the post guy and he's tall and athletic.  The length may give GC some trouble.  They have speed but I don't think Radford speed.  Zac and the others down low will really have to get after the rebounds.  This is the stage GC has wanted to be on since day 1, I think they get revenge from last season since that's the mood they're in right now.  GC wins 69-61

Lee is long and athletic, but not as good defensively so maybe GC can get out and run more and have more open looks for Ervin and Dean. Vaughn likely won't draw McClung to ensure he doesn't pick up any cheap fouls, but McClung will have to be efficient with his shot and get to the rim thru contact. 

GC lost twice all season, once to a great Mecklenburg team and a great Graham team. They won't be intimidated by Lee's size, they know who they're playing and I'm not quite sure Vaughn is quite the scorer Darius George was last season.

I saw Lee play twice season this against East Rockingham. We split with them. They are not as good as last year. Vaughn is good but can be a head case.  I think this match up favors GC. Lee kind of plays like they are in a school yard.. try to block everything, try to push when it is not there etc.  But they are really athletic. They used their athleticism to beat most teams. Central Woodstock is a poor mans GC and they could have beaten Lee twice if their coach had a clue. GC has better horses than CW. I think McClung will score at will. If Hatcher was still the Lee coach, I would say GC by 15-20. Their new coach is just a little smarter and MAY try to play defense against GCs perimeter players. Can’t believe I am saying this but Go GC! 

A former coworker of nearly a decade moved to Staunton in 2016 to take care of his mother after his father passed away. He has kept me up to speed on the state of athletics in the Shenandoah region.  He says Lee isn’t the same caliber team they were last season.  I trust his opinion.

Gate City going away!

People were upset about the semi being played at Tazewell Middle (who did a great job btw and I thought it was electric)... the real tragedy is this next game being played in Richmond. Over 5 hours from Gc and almost 2 from Lee. As a casual fan I can't bring myself to drive to Richmond. 

10 minutes ago, Onceadog said:

People were upset about the semi being played at Tazewell Middle (who did a great job btw and I thought it was electric).

I didn't go but watched it online, but I'll have to agree with Graham's coach on the people who oversaw the planning for that game did an outstanding job.  Everything I've heard was positive.  Yea more people would have went if it was in a bigger gym but that one was plenty big enough under the current format.  The idea to only presale tickets was genius because you didn't have an overflow of people there that couldn't get in as well as people showing up super early while school was still in.  Great job!!