Deleted topic. No interest from board.

On 3/7/2018 at 8:03 AM, Bearcat Dad said:

Baseball is not as popular here as football lol

Delete 

I guess it might be too early in the season yet.  Once baseball gets rolling, talk may pick up.

I feel like there will be some pretty good teams from around the area.  Wise Central, John Battle, Abingdon, Virginia High, and Tazewell should be pretty good this season.  Not sure about 1D teams but Eastside is getting a lot of press in the paper.

2 hours ago, Falcon Mania said:

I guess it might be too early in the season yet.  Once baseball gets rolling, talk may pick up.

I feel like there will be some pretty good teams from around the area.  Wise Central, John Battle, Abingdon, Virginia High, and Tazewell should be pretty good this season.  Not sure about 1D teams but Eastside is getting a lot of press in the paper.

I hope it does pick up some. Maybe it is too early. There should be some really good baseball being played this Spring. 

I understand that football is more popular around here, and in my opinion, rightfully so, but the average sports fan who may not be big into baseball, should try watching those teams you mentioned. There are way more kids from around here who play baseball at the next level, than any other sport, by a very large margin. 

Again, my household is football first, but some of the area's top athletes play baseball, and they are very fun to watch compete. If my math was right, I counted 4 D1 commits, and possibly a couple of future D1 commits, last night in Abingdon's lineup, alone. 

People can look at last night's score between VHS and Abingdon, and say "What's the fun in watching a blowout? Baseball is boring as it is." That's the beauty of baseball. It was a 2-1 game in the 5th, a 5-1 game in the 7th, before Abingdon exploded and the wheels fell off for VHS. It was a dogfight between 2 talented teams, until the end, when the team with more talent, finally pulled away. 

I would like to see a bit better following for baseball in the area. Back in the Fall, there were a number of interesting storylines that kept us all tuned in, because until late, we didn't know how things were going to shake out. Basketball season had great storylines as well, in boys and girls. GC, Graham, Eastside, and a couple of others carried the SWVA flag for deep, post-season runs, while the girls had WC, VHS, Ridgeview, Eastside, Rye Cove, and a couple others, who heleped show where great 1A and 2A basketball were played in the state. 

Baseball, more than any of the other big sports, year in and year out, is the one sport where great 1A and 2A teams can hang with, and even beat, in-state, or out-of-state schools that are 3, 4, and even 5 times bigger than they are. That, for me, adds a unique and interesting prospective to my sports fandom. 

*slowly steps down from soapbox 😂

6 hours ago, Bearcat Dad said:

I hope it does pick up some. Maybe it is too early. There should be some really good baseball being played this Spring. 

I understand that football is more popular around here, and in my opinion, rightfully so, but the average sports fan who may not be big into baseball, should try watching those teams you mentioned. There are way more kids from around here who play baseball at the next level, than any other sport, by a very large margin. 

Again, my household is football first, but some of the area's top athletes play baseball, and they are very fun to watch compete. If my math was right, I counted 4 D1 commits, and possibly a couple of future D1 commits, last night in Abingdon's lineup, alone. 

People can look at last night's score between VHS and Abingdon, and say "What's the fun in watching a blowout? Baseball is boring as it is." That's the beauty of baseball. It was a 2-1 game in the 5th, a 5-1 game in the 7th, before Abingdon exploded and the wheels fell off for VHS. It was a dogfight between 2 talented teams, until the end, when the team with more talent, finally pulled away. 

I would like to see a bit better following for baseball in the area. Back in the Fall, there were a number of interesting storylines that kept us all tuned in, because until late, we didn't know how things were going to shake out. Basketball season had great storylines as well, in boys and girls. GC, Graham, Eastside, and a couple of others carried the SWVA flag for deep, post-season runs, while the girls had WC, VHS, Ridgeview, Eastside, Rye Cove, and a couple others, who heleped show where great 1A and 2A basketball were played in the state. 

Baseball, more than any of the other big sports, year in and year out, is the one sport where great 1A and 2A teams can hang with, and even beat, in-state, or out-of-state schools that are 3, 4, and even 5 times bigger than they are. That, for me, adds a unique and interesting prospective to my sports fandom. 

Grundy Wrestling.

1 hour ago, WaveFan09 said:

Grundy Wrestling.

That's one school. As great as they have been, that does not transcend over the entire sport in this area, like it does in baseball. I see what you are saying, but it's apples and oranges.

For instance, nowadays, very rarely can schools in SWVA, cross over into NETN and compete in football or basketball or even wrestling, outside of one or two special teams, depending on the sport, and depending on which era you're talking about. That's not the case in baseball. Many teams from SWVA have beaten teams from NETN over the years.

I'm not saying at all that it can't be done in other sports. I'm saying it's more common in baseball to not only beat bigger schools, but also to send kids to the next level. It's not my opinion, it's fact. 

Although it does play some role, sometimes, enrollment of a school doesn't always mean quite as much in baseball. In my opinion, it's because of the lack of physicality in the sport of baseball. Bigger, stronger, faster doesn't always mean as much in baseball, like it does in other sports. 

For the most part, baseball comes down to tradition and coaching.  Usually, the same teams are at or near the top every year, even when they are down on talent.  These teams usually have a pretty good fan base too.  

As for comparing the posters on this board vs. the football board, football allows a lot more participants, draws bigger crowds, and makes for more arm-chair quarterbacks.  It takes a more knowledge and interest to be a true baseball fan.  

As a side note, I wonder how this weather and the postponements, along with the strict pitching rules will effect high school baseball this spring.  Not many games have been played thus far, which means 3-5 games per week from here on out for several teams.  I think we will end up seeing a bunch of games like the one GC and Eastside played yesterday, with 20 walks and several HBP.  

Just now, Weatherman said:

For the most part, baseball comes down to tradition and coaching.  Usually, the same teams are at or near the top every year, even when they are down on talent.  These teams usually have a pretty good fan base too.  

As for comparing the posters on this board vs. the football board, football allows a lot more participants, draws bigger crowds, and makes for more arm-chair quarterbacks.  It takes a more knowledge and interest to be a true baseball fan.  

As a side note, I wonder how this weather and the postponements, along with the strict pitching rules will effect high school baseball this spring.  Not many games have been played thus far, which means 3-5 games per week from here on out for several teams.  I think we will end up seeing a bunch of games like the one GC and Eastside played yesterday, with 20 walks and several HBP.  

Teams are going to be digging deep into the roster for arms and batting averages/ on-base percentages should reap the rewards. 

19 hours ago, Bearcat Dad said:

Well said.  There are some really talented players to watch in the area. And like you said there are more playing D1 Baseball than any other sport from around our area.  Not just from Abingdon but several from other schools as well.

7 hours ago, sixcat said:

Galax has two fairly impressive wins so far this season over Carroll (7-5) and Glenvar (10-5).  They are expected to be better than in recent years but still have a relatively young team with only 4 seniors.  

Those are definitely impressive wins.

The good thing about a young team having success in baseball, where baseball is so dependent on repetition and muscle memory, is that that team can possibly have a real chance at winning a State Title when they're older.

Being bigger, stronger, and faster than your opponent is usually a successful formula in football, hence why 1A and 2A State Champs would absolutely get waxed by the 6A State Champ, 10 out of 10 times. Those things don't  guarantee the same amount of success in baseball.

6 hours ago, Weatherman said:

I agree on all points! Well said.

• 3 weeks later...

Coaching plays a huge role in high school baseball.  I've watched a few HS baseball games thus far this spring, and there is some talent and good kids out there, but except for the very select few, pitching mechanics, swing mechanics, hitting approaches, and fielding mechanics are poor.  Just calling it like it is people.  The rich get richer, and the poor get poorer in high school baseball in SWVA.  That's why you see teams like Virginia High, Abingdon, Lebanon, Eastside, John Battle, and Honaker competing for titles every season, because of coaching.  Coaches in these programs teach kids how to play the right way.  

Galax has impressed with a 6-1 start to the season. The only loss was 2-0 at Glenvar. 

Galax has wins over Glenvar 10-5, Grayson County 9-8, Fort Chiswell 11-1 (5 in.), Carroll 7-5, Bland 25-1, (5in.) and George Wythe 1-0. 

Very young team gaining confidence and play very well.

On ‎4‎/‎15‎/‎2018 at 3:08 PM, sixcat said:

Galax has impressed with a 6-1 start to the season. The only loss was 2-0 at Glenvar. 

Galax has wins over Glenvar 10-5, Grayson County 9-8, Fort Chiswell 11-1 (5 in.), Carroll 7-5, Bland 25-1, (5in.) and George Wythe 1-0. 

Very young team gaining confidence and play very well.

Thought they lost to Radford?