VCU Parking/other amenities

Boomhauer

52 minutes ago, Boomhauer said:

For those of us heading up to VCU, what should we know about parking/hotels or any other general advice about Richmond? 

Siegel Center's main entrance is at the corner of W. Broad and N. Harrison.  There is a parking garage owned by VCU that is caddy-corner to the entrance. The garage is safe, convenient, and affordable ($10 or less IIRC). There is Subway, Panda Express, Five Guys, etc. within walking distance of the parking garage.   One caveat, you cannot reenter Siegel Center without paying. 

I usually stay in Short Pump when I'm in Richmond.  Most of the hotels are fairly new and convenient to I-64.

3 hours ago, Boomhauer said:

For those of us heading up to VCU, what should we know about parking/hotels or any other general advice about Richmond? 

You go 3 blocks in the wrong direction from the Siegel Center, you are in the ghetto.  Very bizarre layout for VCU.

1 hour ago, Liam McPoyle said:

Siegel Center's main entrance is at the corner of W. Broad and N. Harrison.  There is a parking garage owned by VCU that is caddy-corner to the entrance. The garage is safe, convenient, and affordable ($10 or less IIRC). There is Subway, Panda Express, Five Guys, etc. within walking distance of the parking garage.   One caveat, you cannot reenter Siegel Center without paying. 

I usually stay in Short Pump when I'm in Richmond.  Most of the hotels are fairly new and convenient to I-64.

Yes, parking garage is $10 and it's your only choice TO park.

32 minutes ago, UVAObserver said:

You go 3 blocks in the wrong direction from the Siegel Center, you are in the ghetto.  Very bizarre layout for VCU.

10 Myths About VCU Debunked

author-pic
Caitlin BarbieriVCU  April 14, 2016

Everywhere you go during the day at VCU there seems to be another tour group walking by. With the deadline for registration rapidly approaching, it is important that incoming students know everything they need to know about VCU and what a great school it is. There are lots of myths about what life is like as a VCU Ram. We have taken it upon ourselves to debunk those myths and educate people on the truth about going to VCU.

Myth # 1: VCU is in the “Ghetto”

This is a common misconception. Many incoming students have never lived in a city before and assume that because VCU is in a city it also must be in the ghetto. This however is not true, VCU is located next to the ghetto, not in it. There is a difference.

Myth #2: Every Tall Black Man is on the Basketball Team

VCU is known for its talented basketball team and often people assume that every tall black man they see on campus is on the team. Despite the fact that the majority of the team is African American and the average height of the team is 6 feet 4 inches, that does not mean every tall black man is on the team. However, every tall black man may wish he was on the team, only 15 actually are.

Myth #3: There Are a Lot of Drugs at VCU

A common assumption about VCU is there are a lot of drugs on campus, but that is simply not true. There are no drugs physically on the walls of VCU buildings or inside the classrooms. There are also no drugs at VCU either because drugs cannot attend college. Some VCU students may look like they are on drugs, but the school does not discriminate against individuals with a strange physical appearance.

Myth #4: Everyone is an Art Student or Wants to Be an Art Student

People often forget that VCU offers much more than the School of Arts. The majority of VCU students are actually enrolled in the college of Humanities and Sciences and none of them envy the stressful life of an art student.   

Myth #5: There is a Lot of Crime on Campus

Being located in a city, there is more crime on or near campus than there would be at a more rural school. Although, to say there is a lot of crime is an exaggeration. There’s a lot of crime in New York City. When you compare the crime rates around VCU to the crime rates in New York City, Richmond seems like one of the safest places on the east coast.

Myth #6: VCU Has a Bad Football Team

Our football team is undefeated since 1838. There are stickers, buttons and t-shirts to prove it. No other football team has ever beat VCU football, regardless of  the questionable existence of the team itself.

Myth #7: Students Often Get Hit by Cars when Crossing the Street

Cars are not the danger at VCU, bikes are. The bikers around Richmond are ruthless and unforgiving, they will hit any student that stands in their way, and not even stop to apologize. Although we think it’s safe to assume most people would rather get hit by a biker than by a car.

Myth #8: Students Go to Class

VCU is an institution of higher learning, at least a few students go to class, but just by walking outside and seeing the amount of students hanging out in Monroe park or at the Compass it is clear that many do not attend class. It’s strongly suggested that students attend class, but college is about being independent. It is common for students to exercise that independence by not going to class.

Myth #9: Schafer Dining Hall Serves Bad Food

Schafer has gotten a lot of negative criticism in the past, but those were all just lies told to keep people away from the dining hall. VCU students love Schafer and they will do anything they can to keep people away so they can have the delicious food all to themselves.

Myth #10: There are No Parties at VCU

College is a party. At VCU you have to try to not find a party. This is probably the most inaccurate statement about VCU we have ever heard.

I'm gonna have to disagree Liam.  Several family members in school at VCU in recent year.  And my wife works for the state and is always there.

https://spotcrime.com/va/richmond/carver

Carver is the neighborhood directly to the north of the Siegel Center between Marshall, Leigh, Lombardy and Belvedere.  College kids getting robbed and beaten down in droves.

1 hour ago, sixcat said:

I'm gonna have to disagree Liam.  Several family members in school at VCU in recent year.  And my wife works for the state and is always there.

https://spotcrime.com/va/richmond/carver

Carver is the neighborhood directly to the north of the Siegel Center between Marshall, Leigh, Lombardy and Belvedere.  College kids getting robbed and beaten down in droves.

I actually agree with you and @uvaobserver.  Perhaps I misread it.  I saw it as VCU student doing a parody of debunking myths about her school.  She has written other tongue-in-cheek articles making fun of VCU.

32 minutes ago, Liam McPoyle said:

I actually agree with you and @uvaobserver.  Perhaps I misread it.  I saw it as VCU student doing a parody of debunking myths about her school.  She has written other tongue-in-cheek articles making fun of VCU.

I believe the fault lies with me.  Had I read it a bit more thoroughly, I would have seen the football team being undefeated and hanging out in Monroe Park.  The later being something no sane human being would attempt under any circumstances!  Maybe the renovations will remedy the issues in that area.  The park has been closed and fenced off for 2 years.