Gate City State Champs

mv91

Just now, BigWinners said:

They were best 2A team and they earned it. I suspect the TWO best teams in 2A were Region D teams.

I agree with this.  Splitting with the state champs = fine by me.  :)

Superior season for GC and McClung, and they earned quite a bit of respect for SWVA basketball tonight.

Lee wouldn't have beat GC, Graham or Radford IMO. Graham was great on defense and while they did rely on one primary scorer, Dalton could work inside and Barker (might be wrong on name) hit some big shots. Lee was literally Vaughn or nothing, even tho some players looked like they could score at times. 

GC clowned on Lee in second half, Graham made them earn every bucket. 

1 hour ago, UVAObserver said:

I agree with this.  Splitting with the state champs = fine by me.  :)

Superior season for GC and McClung, and they earned quite a bit of respect for SWVA basketball tonight.

Yes Graham was OUTSTANDING! 

Thank you guys for being such a special group.  You guys played the right way and earned everything you got this year.  Congrats on your championship, you will forever be the first at GC.  It was fun to watch and thanks for taking a whole town on the ride with you.

51 minutes ago, swva_havok_fan said:

I'll give you a counterfeit $100 bill to go on Preps and tell lucustookis that.  Lol

You could go on Preps and state the sky was blue but being from SWVA they would just say you don't know what a sky is.

As a GC alum, this was a long time coming in Boy's Basketball, and am proud of the way they played and represented Southwest Virginia. Their title in the 26th State Championship in school history and will soon have their fourth VHSL Hall of Famer when Coach Reed gets inducted, and don't sleep on the basketball team, I am not saying they will win State again, but they can get back there because Mac is all they are losing.

2 hours ago, swva_havok_fan said:

I'll give you a counterfeit $100 bill to go on Preps and tell lucustookis that.  Lol

After GC beat Lee he said himself that the GC and Graham were the best two teams 😱

Congrats to GC. That was a special team and McClung is a rare talent. ALso would love to have seen the only Virginia team to beat GC play this year as well. 

A couple of those Lee players are a pain and some of the staff is completely classless.  I will not mention my feelings on some of their fans. 

On 3/12/2018 at 2:10 PM, 1inStripes said:

I heard they were a wild bunch from some friends from Eastside who were in attendance.  

Something all too familiar from teams “up that way”. GC fans, students, and the team were so far into the Vaughan kid’s head it wasn’t funny. He went from dominating inside to playing with no composure after Mac blocked him the first time. He lost control and forced a lot and then started to try and rough us up, which he failed at. He still got his points but he lost his inside presence to a couple of Sophomores which I think frustrated him. Don’t think he was matched up with very much through the season. He then didn’t want to shake hands, especially with Mac, and threw his runner-up medal. And knowing the reasons why he doesn’t like Mac made it even more great, especially since the McClung family treated him well and helped him out. The rest of the team wasn’t as classless, they played hard and didn’t get dirty. Now the coaches are a different story and I can’t speak about the fans cause all I could hear were the GC faithful and Lee was snuggled into that one end so far I didn’t know they existed. I’m so happy for GCHS, Scotty, Seniors, and the team. First boys championship in a few years and we needed it with the turn of football going all to hell. Revenge was all too sweet. 

Avenged 2013 loss to Radford. 

Avenged 2018 loss to Graham. 

Avenged 2017 loss to R.E. Lee. 

16 hours ago, BigWinners said:

Larry, care to share bout the Mac/Vaughn beef?

“I heard” that Vaughan was trying out for Team Loaded VA along with Mac. Vaughan had no way to get there to try out so the nice people the McClungs are offered him a ride to and from. Vaughan was cut but Mac made the team. Vaughan was mad because he felt like he was better than Mac since Lee beat GC last year in the qtr finals and deserved a spot on the team. Vaughan has hated Mac since.