New SWVA Sports Pod Series

Ryan4VT

Hey guys. Brady had a great idea that we are gonna run with. 

We are going to start interviewing local athletes that made it on the biggest of stages. 

This will all start with Thomas Jones, and the timing is perfect because of his upcoming induction into the Virginia Sports HOF. 

So with that in mind, who are some guys and gals we should interview? Any sport. 

Some names that are already on the table: Billy Wagner. Ahmad Bradshaw. Mike Compton. Jimmy Gobble. Heath Miller. 

So help us out and throw us some names. 

ALSO!!!! If you have any contact info for anyone we've already mentioned or anyone you may mention, please please please DM us that info so we can set the stuff up for it. 

Looking forward to this new series. 

Even though he is not an athlete, Bill lane is a person you should interview. He covered Southwest Virginia sports for 50 years and is a walking encyclopedia and has tons of stories, you could do a whole series just with him.

Just finished listening to the Thomas Jones podcast...and really enjoyed it.  I loved the part where he talked about being a ball boy for his Powell Valley team.  It was very interesting listening to him talk about his journey from high school football, then to UVA (graduating in 3 years) and then onto the NFL.  He kept referring to his SWVA roots throughout the interview...great job Brady and Ryan...outstanding. 

26 minutes ago, trublue said:

Just finished listening to the Thomas Jones podcast...and really enjoyed it.  I loved the part where he talked about being a ball boy for his Powell Valley team.  It was very interesting listening to him talk about his journey from high school football, then to UVA (graduating in 3 years) and then onto the NFL.  He kept referring to his SWVA roots throughout the interview...great job Brady and Ryan...outstanding. 

We loved it! He was amazing. Gonna work on a certain MLB standout next. ;)

A name that came to mind, is Omar Reed (Tazewell High, Bluefield College).

Not the NBA, but has played for awhile in overseas professional basketball leagues.

Believe he is a resident in Houston now. 

Watched him grow up playing basketball, little league baseball and high school baseball for Tazewell. 

http://www.bdtonline.com/sports/omar-juiced/image_f27a803a-3ad1-11e8-83ee-fb143e3615ba.html

1 hour ago, tbgfan said:

A name that came to mind, is Omar Reed (Tazewell High, Bluefield College).

Not the NBA, but has played for awhile in overseas professional basketball leagues.

Believe he is a resident in Houston now. 

Watched him grow up playing basketball, little league baseball and high school baseball for Tazewell. 

http://www.bdtonline.com/sports/omar-juiced/image_f27a803a-3ad1-11e8-83ee-fb143e3615ba.html

Omar also played in the NBA’s summer league with the Boston Celtics and he played a season or two in the NBA’s D league before going overseas to play. 

From what I understand him and his family just moved back to Tazewell and are opening a juice bar near El Mariachi.

Trazel Silvers. Didn't make it to the NBA, but was a Globetrotter and played professionally, overseas. Last I heard, he lives in Johnson City. A discussion about being a Harlem Globetrotter would be interesting. I don't know him personally, but I grew up in awe of him, and I've never been a big basketball guy. He and my cousin were best friends growing up, and I watched him dominate a couple of times as a Rebel.

Trazel does live in Johnson City.  Calvin lives there or Gray as well I believe.  I think Calvin is a sales rep or Pepsi or Coke I think.  Ran into in at WalMart in Kingsport one day and talked to him for a while.  Both would be great interviews.  Thomas is a great about doing these types of things.  I had another friend who has a podcast who interviewed Thomas just about 3 months ago and said it was much easier to make happen than he would have expected.

On 4/11/2018 at 9:20 PM, Liam McPoyle said:

How about this guy? 

Justin Hamilton
@coach_ham
VT Dir of Player Development, Defense

Your travel costs would be minimal.

We inquired today about interviewing him. VT football shut it down. 

Sorry. We tried. :(

7 hours ago, 1inStripes said:

Trazel does live in Johnson City.  Calvin lives there or Gray as well I believe.  I think Calvin is a sales rep or Pepsi or Coke I think.  Ran into in at WalMart in Kingsport one day and talked to him for a while.  Both would be great interviews.  Thomas is a great about doing these types of things.  I had another friend who has a podcast who interviewed Thomas just about 3 months ago and said it was much easier to make happen than he would have expected.

Calvin is another good one. He was an unbelievable athlete. I watched him both as a Buc, and as a minor league Philly!