Mountain 7 Preview

44 minutes ago, swva_havok_fan said:

Ridgeview plays at Abingdon tonight.  I plan on being there.  Haven't been to a high school baseball game since the Jordan Compton days at Haysi.

Just a reminder that they moved the game time up to 5:00 pm.  should be a good one to watch.

• 1 month later...

4 hours ago, Falcon Mania said:

So there was some sort of vote in the Mountain 7 District and now Abingdon isn't going to participate in the District Baseball Tournament? 

Booted from softball tournament also.  Not sure why.

It is my understanding (although I am wrong a lot) that there is some sort of scheduling problem. 

Something like.......some M7 Tournaments were scheduled to start early next week..........and some of Abingdon's Regional Tournaments were also scheduled to start next week. The M7 tried to move up some of the District Tournament games to this weekend to give Abingdon a chance to participate, but weather at the end of this week messed up those plans. The M7 ADs decided to boot Abingdon instead of canceling the entire tournaments. 

I am repeating third-hand information, so take it with a grain of salt. 

I think this is pathetic.  The VHSL redistricts every 2 years because they are too dumb to get it right and now they can allow school principals to decide to not allow 1 team to participate because nobody wants to play them.  What if everyone had decided to oust Gate City from the basketball in the winter?  I don't care what excuses you throw out there, you can't justify taking away 2-3 games and a district championship from a group of seniors just because you don't want to have to play them.

You are hearing the PC excuses for how they are spinning it.  The reason behind this is because Abingdon already has an automatic berth to regionals in 3A and none of the 2A teams want to play them in the first round with chance of either being eliminated or using up pitching.

There was no schedule conflict.  Schedule was set with Abingdon hosting.  Last night at Wise would have finished everyone up.  Wise beat Union so the Abingdon/Wise game that was rained out made no difference in seeding.

5 hours ago, halosports said:

You need to learn facts before you speak. 

So you have the facts?  By all means enlighten the board.

Fact:  On Friday May 17, 2018 there was a schedule for baseball district tournament games to be played at Falcon Field on Saturday May 18, 2018 at 12:00 pm and 2:30 pm.

Fact: Sometime that day there was some sort of vote within the Mountain 7 District and Abingdon Baseball was removed from the district tournament.

Fact: If all teams within a given district are not allowed to participate, then it is not really a district tournament.

gatecity is a 2a school playing in a 2a district. abingdon is a 3a school playing down in a 2a district so its not the same. if i was a 3a school i wouldnt worry about playing in a 2a tournament. i would be ashamed to accept the trophy. it would be like john battle playing in 1a cumberland district. there suppose to win that so whats the point. sounds like abingdon likes being the big fish in the little pond. win the region and state in your own clssification then youll have somthing to brag about. winning a 2a tournament and then not winning in 3a region does not say much about a team in my opinion. i guess some people like being the bully and beating smaller teams but unless you win in your classification youve not really accomplished anything.

What

9 hours ago, The U Bear said:

gatecity is a 2a school playing in a 2a district. abingdon is a 3a school playing down in a 2a district so its not the same. if i was a 3a school i wouldnt worry about playing in a 2a tournament. i would be ashamed to accept the trophy. it would be like john battle playing in 1a cumberland district. there suppose to win that so whats the point. sounds like abingdon likes being the big fish in the little pond. win the region and state in your own clssification then youll have somthing to brag about. winning a 2a tournament and then not winning in 3a region does not say much about a team in my opinion. i guess some people like being the bully and beating smaller teams but unless you win in your classification youve not really accomplished anything.

What? Explain further...

17 hours ago, Falcon Mania said:

So you have the facts?  By all means enlighten the board.

Fact:  On Friday May 17, 2018 there was a schedule for baseball district tournament games to be played at Falcon Field on Saturday May 18, 2018 at 12:00 pm and 2:30 pm.

Fact: Sometime that day there was some sort of vote within the Mountain 7 District and Abingdon Baseball was removed from the district tournament.

Fact: If all teams within a given district are not allowed to participate, then it is not really a district tournament.

I thought I embedded the article from the Bristol paper in my post.  My apologies. 

i was replying to falcons post earlier. furthermore abingdon didnt face any teams ace pitcher during the season because teams figured why waste him on a 3a school that you probably wasnt gonna beat anyway so playing down actually hurt abingdons ability to be prepared for 3a region. now they will face good pitching

4 minutes ago, The U Bear said:

i was replying to falcons post earlier. furthermore abingdon didnt face any teams ace pitcher during the season because teams figured why waste him on a 3a school that you probably wasnt gonna beat anyway so playing down actually hurt abingdons ability to be prepared for 3a region. now they will face good pitching

No coach worth anything thinks like that.

with the pitch count rules coaches look at the schedule and set the piching rotation accordingly. if you have abingdon on tuesday and central on friday who would you pitch your ace against? witch is the more winnable game? im not saying they dont wanna win against abingdon im saying its a smarter coaching move to throw your ace in the more winnable game

13 hours ago, The U Bear said:

So back in November when the Union faithful was talking about how they would take on all comers with their chest out was not an issue.  But fast forward to May when your no longer the big dog on campus it really doesn't matter.  I see where you are going with this.

So, you think it is justifiable for other schools to vote abingdon out of the district tournament.  If the situation were reversed and gate city was the 3A team voted out during basketball, I guess erasing mcclungs records would have been justified.  Through no fault of their own, abingdon seniors were placed in this district by the VHSL who has a terrible history of screwing everything up.  Teams must play in the district they are placed.  Why should they now lose 3 or more games because all the district schools (other than battle who voted to keep abingdon in) are butthurt from this season? The schedule conflict was fabricated as an excuse.  The district tournament was originally scheduled to finish yesterday.  The only game unplayed last week was abingdon/wise.  It had no bearing on seeding for district so it could have been scrapped.   

10 minutes ago, Elder statesman said:

So, you think it is justifiable for other schools to vote abingdon out of the district tournament.  If the situation were reversed and gate city was the 3A team voted out during basketball, I guess erasing mcclungs records would have been justified.  Through no fault of their own, abingdon seniors were placed in this district by the VHSL who has a terrible history of screwing everything up.  Teams must play in the district they are placed.  Why should they now lose 3 or more games because all the district schools (other than battle who voted to keep abingdon in) are butthurt from this season? The schedule conflict was fabricated as an excuse.  The district tournament was originally scheduled to finish yesterday.  The only game unplayed last week was abingdon/wise.  It had no bearing on seeding for district so it could have been scrapped.   

Correct me if I’m wrong, but Abingdon chose to leave the SWD to go to the M7, correct? I don’t remember th VHSL making that choice. Abingdon did. 

And why the fuss when even the  coach at Abingdon said they wouldn’t have made the tournament finals anyway. They would have been forced to drop out to go play the regional tournament.