2018 outlook region wide

jarhead24219

Mitchell is gone at UNION, Bailey is still healing from the knee injury so whats everyone take on 2018? I expect that Union will work from the spread and look to get JENKINS the ball , the "D' should be pretty good but KENNEDY will be missed. This should be the year for the WOLFPACK in the mountain 7 but dont count out UNION .GRAHAM will be stronger than last year and RICHLANDS will be back to there old selves.

mnt 7

1WOLFPACK

2UNION

3ABINGTON????

4 BATTLE

5 CENTRAL

6 LEE 

7 GATE CITY

Turner is still healing, as for his senior season being gone .....just don’t know. I hope that he is able to go but there is a fallback plan I am sure. Everyone expects Union to finish behind the Wolfpack, but Union will be faster and stronger everywhere, these subs that replace the seniors competed everyday with Mitchell and the rest

The SWD will be super top heavy, but I honestly think the three teams at the top (who could hang with anyone not named Union, Appomattox, or R.E. Lee last year) are going to be improved. Marion will take a minor step back, Tazewell will take a minor step forward, and unless there is marked improvement at Lebanon, and I know they were decimated by injuries last year, the only guarantee in the SWD is that the 'Neers will be last. This is my "going out on a limb" prediction:

1. Graham
2. Richlands
3. VA High
4. Marion
5. Tazewell
6. Lebanon

The Hogo will be Chilhowie and everybody else, yet again. Not so sure about PH this year or what they are returning, but I think Northwood is one more year away from being a really solid 1A school (for while it lasts):

1. Chilhowie
2. Patrick Henry
3. Northwood
4. Holston

The Mountain Empire will be dominated by the usual suspects.  If Grayson can replace two extremely productive receivers, they will win the district.  Virtually everyone else returns from a playoff team that came on late last season.  Galax will actually be a bit better than the past couple of years in my opinion.  Fort Chiswell keeps improving under a young coaching staff.  George Wythe will be breaking in a new coach....again.  The community seems to be a bit divided.  That's a tough situation to step into and win immediately. 

1. Grayson
  2. Galax
  3. Fort Chiswell
  4. George Wythe 
  5. Rural Retreat
  6. Auburn
  7. Bland

Would be gobsmacked if the 1A semifinal wasn’t Chilhowie and Galax again.  Chilhowie should be a legitimate state title contender this year, unlike last year.  As for 2A, there’s going to be a 3-headed monster in Richlands-Graham-VHS.  I think Richlands would be favored, and it’s probable that the team that survives Region D brings home some hardware.

13 hours ago, UVAObserver said:

Would be gobsmacked if the 1A semifinal wasn’t Chilhowie and Galax again.  Chilhowie should be a legitimate state title contender this year, unlike last year.  As for 2A, there’s going to be a 3-headed monster in Richlands-Graham-VHS.  I think Richlands would be favored, and it’s probable that the team that survives Region D brings home some hardware.

Lol.  People already dismissing the Wolfpack just like last year.  :-p

15 hours ago, UVAObserver said:

I actually think Ridgeview could be the favorite out of D. They were a solid team last year and didn’t lose much, plus they gained some transfers. So I like their chances. Just hope the super easy schedule doesn’t bite them like it seemed to last year.

The thing with Richlands is there’s NO talk coming out of team. None. So there’s either really good, or really bad. 

15 hours ago, goose111874 said:

Turner will be ready i talked to travis.  

Thats really good news,he should be in the spread all year , it will give him more time and with the receivers we have it should be a quick strike offence.

On 5/4/2018 at 12:25 PM, Ryan4VT said:

I actually think Ridgeview could be the favorite out of D. They were a solid team last year and didn’t lose much, plus they gained some transfers. So I like their chances. Just hope the super easy schedule doesn’t bite them like it seemed to last year.

The thing with Richlands is there’s NO talk coming out of team. None. So there’s either really good, or really bad. 

From what I've been told they are going to have a excellent year. They made there mind up on the QB situation. Race Moir will be QB and Brown will be moved to TE/FB. Also heard one of the basketball coach's nephew's moved down from Fairmont WV and he has a lot of speed and size.

On 5/3/2018 at 9:13 AM, sixcat said:

The Mountain Empire will be dominated by the usual suspects.  If Grayson can replace two extremely productive receivers, they will win the district.  Virtually everyone else returns from a playoff team that came on late last season.  Galax will actually be a bit better than the past couple of years in my opinion.  Fort Chiswell keeps improving under a young coaching staff.  George Wythe will be breaking in a new coach....again.  The community seems to be a bit divided.  That's a tough situation to step into and win immediately. 

1. Grayson
  2. Galax
  3. Fort Chiswell
  4. George Wythe 
  5. Rural Retreat
  6. Auburn
  7. Bland

I think Harner will be coaching GW. He didn’t get Mt Airy job but had another avenue he was looking at.

12 hours ago, Single A west said:

I think Harner will be coaching GW. He didn’t get Mt Airy job but had another avenue he was looking at.

I was under the impression Harner had resigned to pursue other possibilities.  Is that not accurate?  Maybe hearing the Mount Airy rumors among other things led to some misinformation getting spread around.   

Mount Airy hired JK Adkins to replace Kelly Holder.  Adkins is a nice pick-up for them to replace a living legend in Holder.  Holder averaged 10.26 wins per season over 19 years at Mount Airy!  Adkins took over an East Wilkes program in 2013 that had won 4 games in 7 years and won 13 games by his third season.  He turned that program into a perennial playoff contender in the toughest small-school conference in North Carolina.  No way Harner was getting that job over Adkins.

GC should be fielding a great crop of lineman (Gibson, Spicer, Stapleton, Quinn, Tomlinson, Davidson, Kiser) bringing size, strength, talent, & experience to the table. Salee returns at QB. Calhoun is an absolute bruiser at FB, with #2 (name ?) & Hicks providing a little speed. Salee should have at least one big target at WR in #11. Kids like Drew Vermilion & Jace Mathis should provide needed versatility. Defense is a complete unknown to me. 

hopefully the kids who just brought it home in basketball can bring some of that mentality to the gridiron. Talent-wise, this should be a 6 win team that makes it to round two. 

On 5/2/2018 at 6:31 PM, Plywood_King said:

The SWD will be super top heavy, but I honestly think the three teams at the top (who could hang with anyone not named Union, Appomattox, or R.E. Lee last year) are going to be improved. Marion will take a minor step back, Tazewell will take a minor step forward, and unless there is marked improvement at Lebanon, and I know they were decimated by injuries last year, the only guarantee in the SWD is that the 'Neers will be last. This is my "going out on a limb" prediction:

1. Graham
2. Richlands
3. VA High
4. Marion
5. Tazewell
6. Lebanon

The Hogo will be Chilhowie and everybody else, yet again. Not so sure about PH this year or what they are returning, but I think Northwood is one more year away from being a really solid 1A school (for while it lasts):

1. Chilhowie
2. Patrick Henry
3. Northwood
4. Holston

Word on the street is Graham coaching staff has added some Blue Tornado blood. Should definitely be an interesting season. Tazewell may surprise some people. They held Richlands till 4th quarter last year, ran out of steam. Hope you prediction is correct. 

On 5/4/2018 at 12:25 PM, Ryan4VT said:

I'm hearing bad. 

On 5/7/2018 at 11:58 AM, 1inStripes said:

Its going to be odd not working a full season of games this year.  I did hear RC has received a nice addition to the new staff.

Just found out about this. Extremely curious as to why JH isn't the HC. 

22 hours ago, Gridiron60 said:

I'm hearing bad. 

I find it hard to believe that coaching alone can't carry Richlands to a comparable team to last year, and even with no improvement, a Richlands team the caliber of last year's team posts a top-3 SWD finish and gets a playoff nod, just because the region won't have the depth that it had in '17.

6 hours ago, Plywood_King said:

I find it hard to believe that coaching alone can't carry Richlands to a comparable team to last year, and even with no improvement, a Richlands team the caliber of last year's team posts a top-3 SWD finish and gets a playoff nod, just because the region won't have the depth that it had in '17.

I don't disagree with your points. My opinion only , which counts for very little but Richlands isn't the caliber that they used to be but they may recruit some talent from Hurley, Honaker, or maybe there's another Johnson coming out of WV. I say they have a decent season but yes, depth is lacking in region in many sports not just football. I'm actually not hearing anything but some people are more than willing to take the bait. All in good fun.