2018 outlook region wide

jarhead24219

44 minutes ago, GusDaGuesser said:

Hearing Graham picked up a RB from Richlands.  

The younger Booker did indeed go back to Graham. He had transferred to Richlands when his older brother came a few years ago. Good luck to him, just not against us lol

On 6/13/2018 at 7:49 PM, Ryan4VT said:

The younger Booker did indeed go back to Graham. He had transferred to Richlands when his older brother came a few years ago. Good luck to him, just not against us lol

Technically, Graham got a player back that should rightly be at Graham rather than picking up a Richlands boy, lol. 

1 hour ago, Ryan4VT said:

Also true. 

Richlands being known as a defensive powerhouse since 90s , makes me hopeful for what he can bring to the table as far as defense for GMen. The defensive line last year was weak a lot of the time, maybe he can help shore up that area. I'm taking for granted he's helping with defense. Should be an interesting match up this year with Blues & GMen. Looking forward to a great game. 

I'm definitely not the type of person who likes to pat themselves on the back, but with my preseason prediction of the VHS football team last season, looking back, I wish I had played the lottery that day, because I was on a roll 😂

In all seriousness, I'll see if I can be as accurate (or lucky) as I was here on last year's outlook, on this years'.....

This years' VHS football should be the best team they have produced since the 97 group, who went 9-1 in the regular season, but had the unfortunate luck of drawing the eventual State Champion in Gate City(who also gave the Bearcats their only regular season loss) in the first round of the playoffs.

This years' team could actually be more talented than the 97 group. VHS returns a majority of their starters from a team that was lead by a very talented group of juniors, with support from some talented sophomores. These guys are now juniors and seniors, and are as hungry for success as they could possibly be. They also have a couple of talented youngsters who will see some significant playing time.

No doubt, there are a couple of losses due to graduation, that VHS will feel along their offensive line, that could affect their depth that they had last year, but I am excited to see a new addition to the team in a 6'3, 225 lb, 1st Team All-State baseball selection, who has developed himself the necessary mean streak to make him want to play football for the first time in a few years, for his senior year. He should make a great addition up front.

As I said last year, I don't have grand illusions of the Bearcats winning a State Title, but do not be surprised if they are in contention for the district title, or even win a few playoff games. This is High School sports, so I understand they could just as well finish 5-5, but if I were a betting man, I would be "All In" on the former being more likely.

The talented group of baseball players that play football as well, were in the weight room for football workouts, immediately after their State Championship game....

The Captain and one of the senior leaders of the football team, has been on the Camp circuit all Spring and Summer, and has generated intrest from over 30 schools from the D1 FCS to the D3 levels.....

Something that is extremely rare in Bristol, is that the whole town has bought in for the upcoming season. Gene Malcolm Stadium may actually be tough on visiting teams, for once.....

Last year, I was given some good natured ribbing for being the only member of this board for putting VHS in their preseason Top 10. I will most certainly do it again this year. If healthy, by season's end, VHS should be at or near the top in our region's collective eyes, along with Graham, Ridgeview, Richlands, and Union. 

EDIT: Two final notes that are in the Bearcats' favor....

This Summer, they will be at team camp, competing in game like situations with 3 other schools; Pulaski, Lord Botetourt, and Dinwiddie. They will be battle tested.

Also, they have the same brutal schedule as last year, but instead of traveling to Big Stone for the Benefit Game, or Ernie Hicks, Mitchell Stadium, or Abingdon's field in the regular season, all of those games are in the friendly confines of Gene Malcolm.

37 minutes ago, Ryan4VT said:

Looking forward to November 2nd. Partly because I believe you that VHS should be a good team again, and partly because I now live in Bristol, and that will be the easiest game for me to get to lol. 

Welcome to Bristol! Make sure to shop as much as possible at The Falls, and help us climb out of our massive City debt lol.

I feel that November 2nd will be a competitive game like last year. After beating an 8-0 Marion, last year's game at Richlands made me most proud of our team's effort, even in a loss. VHS went to into an environment where the Blues had everything to play for, and it took a late TD for the Blues to win by one score. That was a fun game, and should be again this year. My son told me that the extremely battle tested Richlands team of last year had the best O-line he played against, hands down. I imagine more of the same this year.

As we get closer, I would like to repay the favor of you introducing me to the Bearded Moose. We have a few hidden gems in the area as well.😁