New Sporting Complex for Bluefield VA

bgibb

1 hour ago, Grapeape said:

The folks in Scott County advise you to ensure that the new facility is accessible by school bus. 

Look at the pic in the link...school buses park at the end of the field opposite the parking lot...

10 hours ago, ghs73 said:

My question is what will west Virginia do without the money from Virginia after this is finished 

That is a very good question, and to be perfectly honest I could care less what they do. It's not like the money we spend every year goes to the upkeep of Mtichell. The bathrooms are disgusting, press box is falling apart, concession stands are falling apart, and they had to blow a crap ton of money for new turf because the first time it wasn't taken care of. 

11 hours ago, ghs73 said:

My question is what will west Virginia do without the money from Virginia after this is finished 

That's Mercer County Board of Education's problem now...City of Bluefield "gave" them Mitchell Stadium.  City of Bluefield still owns the parking lot, I'll almost guarantee there will be at least a $5/car parking fee next season...

4 hours ago, GMan said:

That's Mercer County Board of Education's problem now...City of Bluefield "gave" them Mitchell Stadium.  City of Bluefield still owns the parking lot, I'll almost guarantee there will be at least a $5/car parking fee next season...

Not many will be able to afford games soon at mitchell

On 5/1/2018 at 3:33 PM, bgibb said:

http://www.bdtonline.com/news/bluefield-va-announces-plans-for-million-multi-purpose-complex/article_290db09c-4d72-11e8-bd4e-f7d222dc3d6a.html

It is about time Graham has a place to call their own. This is a great day for the town of Bluefield, Virginia!

I see that the seating capacity is 4000, and I wonder how on God’s green earth Graham is going to accommodate the crowds for the G/B game that will show up every other year.  That would be a massive gate to give up because you built the stadium much too small.  I had envisioned a complex that held 7500 at bare minimum.

There is also the question of filling the complex with events when it isn’t used for athletic purposes.

I can see this being a nice boon for Bluefield, but I am curious.

19 hours ago, UVAObserver said:

I see that the seating capacity is 4000, and I wonder how on God’s green earth Graham is going to accommodate the crowds for the G/B game that will show up every other year.  That would be a massive gate to give up because you built the stadium much too small.  I had envisioned a complex that held 7500 at bare minimum.

There is also the question of filling the complex with events when it isn’t used for athletic purposes.

I can see this being a nice boon for Bluefield, but I am curious.

Agreed.  5,000 should be minimum, 7,500 would be optimal.  Although, 4,000 exceeds the minimum amount of seating for hosting playoff games for football...

19 hours ago, GMan said:

Agreed.  5,000 should be minimum, 7,500 would be optimal.  Although, 4,000 exceeds the minimum amount of seating for hosting playoff games for football...

I thought I read that there was room to add more seating. I might be wrong but thought I read that

http://www.bdtonline.com/news/tazewell-county-to-pay-an-extra-k-to-rent-mitchell/article_1ca2b7e4-5624-11e7-b55f-378770f0e2a0.html

Not that it's Bluefield, Virginia's problem, but the future of Mitchell Stadium is bleak without the $50,000 of annual revenue from Tazewell County.  I could see BC moving their games to the new complex as well.

4 hours ago, Liam McPoyle said:

http://www.bdtonline.com/news/tazewell-county-to-pay-an-extra-k-to-rent-mitchell/article_1ca2b7e4-5624-11e7-b55f-378770f0e2a0.html

Not that it's Bluefield, Virginia's problem, but the future of Mitchell Stadium is bleak without the $50,000 of annual revenue from Tazewell County.  I could see BC moving their games to the new complex as well.

Won’t be the cities problem, either. It’s now Mercer County BoE’s problem. I would bet the city caught wind of this coming and decided to dump Mitchell before it was too late. 

16 hours ago, Ryan4VT said:

Won’t be the cities problem, either. It’s now Mercer County BoE’s problem. I would bet the city caught wind of this coming and decided to dump Mitchell before it was too late. 

Agree.  They (the City) had to have known considering the timing of the 'white elephant gift" and the relatively small size of the two Bluefields. 

Hats off to the City Manager for a well-played hand. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/6/2018 at 6:56 PM, Liam McPoyle said:

Already been rumored they will be playing at the new stadium!

• 3 months later...

I'm no construction expert, but Sullivan County, TN has budgeted only $4.8 million to construct the following for West Ridge HS:

a new football field with grandstands

a track

tennis courts with bleachers

a baseball field

a softball field

a soccer field

and a support building 

A similar complex at William Fleming was $8 million back in 2010.

Bluefield is projecting $6 million for its single-field stadium. 

I'm envisioning West Ridge with a cinder track, wooden bleachers, tennis court lines painted on the parking lot, and a shop class constructed field house.

$4.8 million doesn't go very far at all when building one field, much less an athletic complex/park type deal West Ridge is trying to do. 

Even $6 million for a modern HS FB stadium seems low, I believe Centrals was more than that in Wise. 

28 minutes ago, BigWinners said:

$4.8 million doesn't go very far at all when building one field, much less an athletic complex/park type deal West Ridge is trying to do. 

Even $6 million for a modern HS FB stadium seems low, I believe Centrals was more than that in Wise. 

If you believe the news articles, Central's stadium was $2.5 million.