Graham 2018 home games

techfan

1 hour ago, GloboGymCobras said:

If I may I’m going to ask a potentially dumb question why is it called Graham/Beaver not Graham/Bluefield? I get why beaver fits but why one schools name and other a mascot. 

I think it goes back to when Bluefield was Beaver High School. 

Until 1957 when the new school on Cumberland Road was built the high school in Bluefield was officially Beaver Pond District High School or Beaver High for short. So officially the school was the Beaver Beavers. But it was never ever said that way. When the school was referenced it was called Beaver High. When the mascot was referenced they were called the Beavers. But for some reason when the were referenced together it was always the Bluefield Beavers.  This was not uncommon in WV as many of the High Schools were originally named for the voting district within the county that they were located. Princeton High was originally East River High but dropped that name in the 1920's as did most other WV high schools but in Bluefield the name Beaver was never dropped until 1957. But that name was ingrained in the local minds so that it still exists today. Hence the Beaver/Graham or Graham/Beaver game.  

• 2 weeks later...

According to BDT the issue of Graham playing at Mitchell Stadium still hasn't been resolved. Middle school and JV games are to be played at Graham HS. I'm assuming those fans are to have a seat on their thumbs just like the school board has been doing as of late. Lots of finger pointing in today's article between Va and West Virginia. 

3 hours ago, 99Bama said:

According to BDT the issue of Graham playing at Mitchell Stadium still hasn't been resolved. Middle school and JV games are to be played at Graham HS. I'm assuming those fans are to have a seat on their thumbs just like the school board has been doing as of late. Lots of finger pointing in today's article between Va and West Virginia. 

Lots of "bad blood" between those that ru(i)n the City of Bluefield and those that run Tazewell Co....been brewing for a while, this is just what they let you see...

4 hours ago, 99Bama said:

Also TMS and JV games will be played there as well if Tazewell and Graham due end up sharing a field!

5 hours ago, 99Bama said:

I really didn't realize there was "bad blood" between the two. This is unfortunate. 

Bluefield took the TCSB for 75k last year and this year TCSB is saying here’s 10k for rent, take it or leave it. Each side is trying to flex a little bit with Bluefield winning last year and TCSB trying their best to look like they don’t need Mitchell this year.

in my opinion this will get resolved in a couple weeks with the TCSB magically finding another 25-30 grand to pay the city of Bluefield and each side will proclaim they won the fight. I’d be willing to put decent money down that Graham won’t touch a home game in Tazewell 

1 minute ago, EH31 said:

Bluefield took the TCSB for 75k last year and this year TCSB is saying here’s 10k for rent, take it or leave it. Each side is trying to flex a little bit with Bluefield winning last year and TCSB trying their best to look like they don’t need Mitchell this year.

in my opinion this will get resolved in a couple weeks with the TCSB magically finding another 25-30 grand to pay the city of Bluefield and each side will proclaim they won the fight. I’d be willing to put decent money down that Graham won’t touch a home game in Tazewell 

If I was a betting man, I’d take your money! It’s been the plan to have them play at Tazewell all along!

1 hour ago, Bulldogs52 said:

If I was a betting man, I’d take your money! It’s been the plan to have them play at Tazewell all along!

Put the money on the table then. The plan was never for them to play at Tazewell. The plan was for the school board to take shots at the city of Bluefield and publicly offer them only $10,000 while holding people in the town of Bluefield, VA hostage until one of them ponied up the other $50,000. 

David Woodard is quoted in the BDT today saying the school board will pay $10,000 for graham to play at Mitchell even though last years lease contract was for $60,000. Then later in the same day at the Bluefield Town council meeting someone pledges to anonymously donate $50,000 towards Graham playing at Mitchell stadium!!! What a complete coincidence that news would break the same day that Woodard pledges only $10,000 to the city! Wait, the lease fee for Mitchell is $60,000?? That’s so crazy we found the other $50,000 in the same day the school board publicly puffs out its chest against the city of Bluefield! 

Praise be to our school board heroes that absolutely had pure intentions this whole time and never mislead the public for personal gain!!!

23 minutes ago, EH31 said:

Put the money on the table then. The plan was never for them to play at Tazewell. The plan was for the school board to take shots at the city of Bluefield and publicly offer them only $10,000 while holding people in the town of Bluefield, VA hostage until one of them ponied up the other $50,000. 

David Woodard is quoted in the BDT today saying the school board will pay $10,000 for graham to play at Mitchell even though last years lease contract was for $60,000. Then later in the same day at the Bluefield Town council meeting someone pledges to donate $50,000 towards Graham playing at Mitchell stadium!!! What a complete coincidence that news would break the same day that Woodard pledges only $10,000 to the city! Wait, the lease fee for Mitchell is $60,000?? That’s so crazy we found the other $50,000 in the same day the school board publicly puffs out its chest against the city of Bluefield! 

Praise be to our school board heroes that absolutely had pure intentions this whole time and never mislead the public for personal gain!!!

You called it right! Talking about small town shenanigans at its finest. Gotta love it!

9 hours ago, EH31 said:

David Woodard is quoted in the BDT today saying the school board will pay $10,000 for graham to play at Mitchell even though last years lease contract was for $60,000. Then later in the same day at the Bluefield Town council meeting someone pledges to anonymously donate $50,000 towards Graham playing at Mitchell stadium!!! What a complete coincidence that news would break the same day that Woodard pledges only $10,000 to the city! Wait, the lease fee for Mitchell is $60,000?? That’s so crazy we found the other $50,000 in the same day the school board publicly puffs out its chest against the city of Bluefield! 

Said person that donated the money is probably same person that’s been fighting for Graham to play @MS stadium all along. But TCPS had no problem with them playing at Tazewell!

1 hour ago, Bulldogs52 said:

Said person that donated the money is probably same person that’s been fighting for Graham to play @MS stadium all along. But TCPS had no problem with them playing at Tazewell!

Believe what you want to but Graham was never going to play more than one game in Tazewell this year!

49 minutes ago, cityofRaven said:

Does everything in Tazewell County have to be a shit show? 

We all that is rhetorical by they way. 

We are just providing job security for the Bluefield Daily Telegraph. If we could just put a tent over this mess we would have ourselves a circus. In the last two weeks we have covered two school closings, coaches not being paid, now they are getting paid, no middle school sports, and now one high school getting an "anonymous" 50k donation to cover the expense of them playing football at Mitchell Stadium. Stay tuned we haven't even started back to school yet. This has been a busy off season for TCPS.

6 hours ago, 99Bama said:

We are just providing job security for the Bluefield Daily Telegraph. If we could just put a tent over this mess we would have ourselves a circus. In the last two weeks we have covered two school closings, coaches not being paid, now they are getting paid, no middle school sports, and now one high school getting an "anonymous" 50k donation to cover the expense of them playing football at Mitchell Stadium. Stay tuned we haven't even started back to school yet. This has been a busy off season for TCPS.

In the meantime our illustrious school board hints at closing the vocational center. The monkeys really are running the circus.