Pro Soccer Thread (Premier League, MLS, etc.)

As Ryan knows, I also pull for Chelsea in the Premier League.

My German team Wolfsburg is in the Bundesliga relegation playoff and currently have a 3-1 edge after leg 1, with the final leg today, so unless an absolute meltdown occurs, then Wolfsburg will stay in the Bundesliga next year.

I don't have a TV channel that shows Serie A, Ligue 1 or the Spanish league, so can't get invested in those leagues.

In MLS, I pull for the Red Bulls, who always seem to do well in the regular season and get bounced in round 1 of the playoffs.  In other words, the Washington Nationals or Washington Capitals of the MLS.

Really? You two are Chelsea fans as well? That's who I root for in the EPL. I don't have any other favorites, like seeing Dortmund do well bc of Pulisic but Chelsea is the team I always support.

Missing out on CL is big bummer, no reason a team this talented should not finish in top four. Conte needed to win FA Cup but not sure that save his job with how pitiful the Blues closed the season, the last game was such a horrible performance when there was a very slim chance to finish in top four.

• 4 weeks later...

Liverpool supporter here.  (And the less said about the Champions League final, the better.  Thank you very much.)  Got tickets for the ICC match next month in Charlotte against Dortmund and we are looking forward to seeing the Reds live.  Of all teams at any level, this is probably my strongest allegiance in soccer (and my kids would probably say the same) -- even though the primary reason behind our support is pretty dumb, to be honest.

In terms of MLS, I follow DC United primarily because they're the closest franchise to my residence (and we have gone to more than a few matches at RFK over the years).  Oldest son pulls for LA Galaxy, which makes things a bit interesting in our house.  If San Diego is ever granted a franchise, I would have a strong inclination to follow them (mainly to aggravate the eldest boy).

We also watch La Liga primarily for the quality of play.  But just to stir controversy there, two of my sons support Real Madrid, one declares for Barcelona, and I pull for Atletico.  And our travel club has some formal connections to Swansea (EPL) and Rangers (Scottish Premiership), so I have some interest in them. 

Really enjoy international competition, but I think USA soccer still has a way to go in terms of being truly competitive.  Since USMNT failed to qualify for the World Cup, I find myself guided by ancestry in terms of a rooting interest this summer.  Strongest personal ties are to England, so I'll be following Three Lions for as long as they are in the running.

• 2 weeks later...

8 hours ago, UVAObserver said:

Winner of Brazil/Belgium wins it.

Agreed. And I staked my claims on Belgium months ago. So I’m sticking with it. Lol. 

Belgium/England final. 

• 2 weeks later...

55 minutes ago, cavalieratmosphere said:

World Cup final tomorrow will be France v Croatia. Who do you have winning?

For MLS, looks like DC United now has Wayne Rooney to go along with the new stadium. Awesome!

France. But I’m pulling for Croatia. 

On 7/14/2018 at 7:58 PM, cavalieratmosphere said:

For MLS, looks like DC United now has Wayne Rooney to go along with the new stadium. Awesome!

Rooney has always been one of my favorites but he is a few years past his prime.  But as the say, MLS is where great players fade away...

2 hours ago, GMan said:

Rooney has always been one of my favorites but he is a few years past his prime.  But as the say, MLS is where great players fade away...

Rooney is in my top 3 most hated players of all time. 

It’s no surprise my brother decided he would love him and Man U just to spite me. 

We wound up getting really involved in England's run in the World Cup.  My wife and son happened to be in the UK last week and watched the semifinal game in a South Bank London pub.  Although the outcome wasn't what we had hoped, that was a really great and unique experience for the two of them.

And even if England had been able to resolve Croatia's aggressive style of play, I think France would've pounded them mercilessly in the final.

• 4 weeks later...