2A softball

Richlands vs Lebanon pt. 4 for the SWD title tomorrow at 5. 

Regardless of the outcome, Lebanon is the 1 seed and Richlands is the 2. VHS and Tazewell will be the 3 and the 4 from tb SWD. 

Battle is the 1 seed from the M7. They are 0-3 vs Richlands and Lebanon this season  

GC, Ridgeview and Central are the other 3 teams vying for the 2-4 seeds. 

14 hours ago, Ryan4VT said:

Richlands vs Lebanon pt. 4 for the SWD title tomorrow at 5. 

Regardless of the outcome, Lebanon is the 1 seed and Richlands is the 2. VHS and Tazewell will be the 3 and the 4 from tb SWD. 

Battle is the 1 seed from the M7. They are 0-3 vs Richlands and Lebanon this season  

GC, Ridgeview and Central are the other 3 teams vying for the 2-4 seeds. 

Not Gate City.  They got ousted in the first round of the district tournament.  Think you meant Union instead.  :)

Due to the very complicated nature of this asinine playoff system, apparently even though Ridgeview lost to Union yesterday in the M7 semis, they can still clinch the 2 seed with a win over Central in the consolation this morning, which is very important to avoid Lebanon and Richlands for one round at least.

4 hours ago, swva_havok_fan said:

Not Gate City.  They got ousted in the first round of the district tournament.  Think you meant Union instead.  :)

Due to the very complicated nature of this asinine playoff system, apparently even though Ridgeview lost to Union yesterday in the M7 semis, they can still clinch the 2 seed with a win over Central in the consolation this morning, which is very important to avoid Lebanon and Richlands for one round at least.

So actually Central lost today and now GC is in lol. So confusing. 

With the SWD seeds already set in stone, Richlands didn’t pitch Osborne today and lost 10-5 to Lebanon. The two games vs Lebanon with Mac have both been wins for the Blues, the 2 games without Mac have been losses. 

No need to waste her arm for a game that meant nothing to regional seeding. 

11 hours ago, Ryan4VT said:

With the SWD seeds already set in stone, Richlands didn’t pitch Osborne today and lost 10-5 to Lebanon. The two games vs Lebanon with Mac have both been wins for the Blues, the 2 games without Mac have been losses. 

No need to waste her arm for a game that meant nothing to regional seeding. 

I believe she would have been fine considering she's played travel ball for years and many back to back games. They could have forfeited and let all the girls rest. 

11 hours ago, Gridiron60 said:

I believe she would have been fine considering she's played travel ball for years and many back to back games. They could have forfeited and let all the girls rest. 

Lebanon rested their ace, too. Neither team took the game all too seriously. 

Consolation games that mean nothing to seeding should never be played!!! To much rush of an injury to a player that don’t even have a reason to be playing the extra game!!!

I am a fan of the old playoff system, the conference winner and the winner of the tournament or runner up goes if the conference champion is the same as the tournament champion!!

On 5/25/2018 at 2:35 PM, Ryan4VT said:

So actually Central lost today and now GC is in lol. So confusing. 

Gate city was already in the region they went with the top 4 in the regular season.

I'll be up Richland Monday to watch union.  Is the softball fields near the football field.

47 minutes ago, goose111874 said:

Gate city was already in the region they went with the top 4 in the regular season.

I'll be up Richland Monday to watch union.  Is the softball fields near the football field.

Yes, right next door.

Richlands 3, Union 0

Battle 14, Tazewell 2

Ridgeview 5, Virginia 1

Lebanon 8, Gate City 2

Lebanon vs. Ridgeview at 5pm.

Richlands vs. Battle at 7pm. 

Both games tomorrow at Battle. 

Folks in Grayson County are very upset not to have made the Regional tournament in softball after finishing with a record of 13-6.  By choosing not to enter the SWD and remain in the MED, 12 of their 19 opponents were 1A.  This will only continue for other sports as well as long as they play down in competition.  

Didn't several folks on this forum predict such an outcome?  I think maybe I was one of them! 

Yep. 100% self inflicted by politics and the kids are the ones who got the short end of the stick. I hate it for those girls. They 100% should be in the regional tournament. VHS and Tazewell finished the season with sub-.500 records and both got in. 

30 minutes ago, Ryan4VT said:

Yep. 100% self inflicted by politics and the kids are the ones who got the short end of the stick. I hate it for those girls. They 100% should be in the regional tournament. VHS and Tazewell finished the season with sub-.500 records and both got in. 

Virginia High and Tazewell wouldn't have sub .500 records if they played the schedule that Grayson did.

Grayson for overall purposes based on travel and rivalries is exactly where they need to be....had no affect on basketball where they were a 2 seed and no affect on baseball where they were a 3 seed and  outpointed a Lebanon team with 16 wins.  Softball team will learn from this a prepare a little better schedule in future.   Unfortunate for them but not a reason to question decision of school system which has to consider a ton of other factors.  With Grayson  move to 1A next cycle will take care of these issues.

6 minutes ago, rvsteer said:

Grayson for overall purposes based on travel and rivalries is exactly where they need to be....had no affect on basketball where they were a 2 seed and no affect on baseball where they were a 3 seed and  outpointed a Lebanon team with 16 wins.  Softball team will learn from this a prepare a little better schedule in future.   Unfortunate for them but not a reason to question decision of school system which has to consider a ton of other factors.  With Grayson  move to 1A next cycle will take care of these issues.

The last sentence is a distinct possibility given the decline in system enrollment over the past decade.  Grayson has averaged nearly a 8% decline in school system enrollment every two year cycle over the past decade. 

As for the rest, playing down in competition hurt the basketball team significantly come playoff time.  They lost a relatively noncompetitive game to Union in the first round.  But Grayson is  1A program currently to be honest without the benefit of playing in the 1A postseason.

21 minutes ago, sixcat said:

The last sentence is a distinct possibility given the decline in system enrollment over the past decade.  Grayson has averaged nearly a 8% decline in school system enrollment every two year cycle over the past decade. 

As for the rest, playing down in competition hurt the basketball team significantly come playoff time.  They lost a relatively noncompetitive game to Union in the first round.  But Grayson is  1A program currently to be honest without the benefit of playing in the 1A postseason.

I’ve been doing some statistical research today, and one of my items of interest was percentage of population age 18 and under.  If I’m not mistaken, Grayson is one of the 3 lowest in Virginia in terms of percentage of population under age 18.

22 minutes ago, UVAObserver said:

I’ve been doing some statistical research today, and one of my items of interest was percentage of population age 18 and under.  If I’m not mistaken, Grayson is one of the 3 lowest in Virginia in terms of percentage of population under age 18.

Grayson is currently sitting at 502 according to VADOE.  The current 8th grade enrollment is 95 while the senior class enrollment is 121.  A reduction of 26 students, at face value, places them at 476 this fall.  In all likelihood, 1A will be in the cards for the next cycle.  I can't see Grayson gaining enrollment anytime soon.  If they do, it would be bucking a 20 year trend.  The most likely scenario will be Grayson losing a few more than the 26 student difference between the senior and 8th grade classes.

Grayson County families are moving away.  Those moving in are over 50, retired, no kids or empty nesters.  The over 50 demographic is rising while the under 18 set is shrinking. 

8 minutes ago, rvsteer said:

That is actually spring 2017 number......Grayson is 481 as of this moment and looking at 450's Fall 2018.....petition to drop already in place

The 502 number is the official Virginia Department or Education figure, date effective November 16, 2017.

http://www.doe.virginia.gov/statistics_reports/enrollment/fall_membership/report_data.shtml

Click on the link for "School Totals By Grade".

1 hour ago, rvsteer said:

I stand corrected  ...here was info sent home to parents  

12th 109

11th  117

10th 124

9th   129

8th     99

as of March 30 2018

The numbers fluctuate regardless of school district so, if that was sent home to parents, it may be more reflective of current enrollment figures.  All-in-all, I think it will be a positive thing for Grayson County to be 1A.  They will be competitive on a state level in 1A in a lot of different sports.  

1 hour ago, rvsteer said:

Shocking when you consider where they were numbers wise 10 plus years ago

The same link I provided earlier shows Grayson County High School having an enrollment of 680 for the 2002-2003 school year.  So, yes, It is shocking! 

For the record, I grew up in Fries and graduated from Grayson.    

1 hour ago, sixcat said:

The same link I provided earlier shows Grayson County High School having an enrollment of 680 for the 2002-2003 school year.  So, yes, It is shocking! 

For the record, I grew up in Fries and graduated from Grayson.    

Hey, my senior year!

I remember playing Grayson (then D2) in a number of sports, being a higher classification, and Grayson being about 40% larger than we were at Graham.