2019 Contender

Bearcat Bob

I’ve been at a team camp all weekend with East Rockingham.   5A teams—Albemarle and Orange 

Privates—St Anne’s Belfield and Highland

Western Albemarle, Culpeper, William Monroe, George Mason, Madison, Kettle Run, and East Rock  

East Rock is killing it against all comers. I’m going to get out front early and say that they overtake RE Lee in the district and contend for a state 2A title. You heard it here first!  They split with Lee last year in the regular season.

Western Albemarle will be in the 3A Hunt.   

40 minutes ago, Bearcat Bob said:

I’ve been at a team camp all weekend with East Rockingham.   5A teams—Albemarle and Orange 

Privates—St Anne’s Belfield and Highland

Western Albemarle, Culpeper, William Monroe, George Mason, Madison, Kettle Run, and East Rock  

East Rock is killing it against all comers. I’m going to get out front early and say that they overtake RE Lee in the district and contend for a state 2A title. You heard it here first!  They split with Lee last year in the regular season.

Western Albemarle will be in the 3A Hunt.   

This needs to be stickied, because Lord knows we will build up our SWVA 2A teams to be the ‘96 Bulls.

East Rock along with Radford, Graham, Martinsville, Lee, DR, and possibly GC.  In no particular order....i feel like those teams will all be in the Top 10.  I feel pretty comfortable in saying Radford will be Top 3 and they are my pick to win it.  But i didn't see ER last year to know just how good they will be this year.  Martinsville will be very tough and so will Graham.   

Also, Union will be getting Slagle back.  Depending on how well his knee has healed, the Bears could be really tough as well and cause issues for alot of teams.  They were pretty solid without him.  If hes back to at least 70-80% they will be a very good team.

Anyone from Eastern VA that will be a force next year?

• 1 month later...

Wise could be a top 3 team in the West next year (if healthy).  Watching the region games last year IMHO they were light years ahead of Martinsville.

West 2A

1. Gate City 2. Radford 3. Wise Central

A lot of people will disagree.  Especially with Radford not being number 1.  But they played NOONE last year except GC.    Ervin dropped 37 in an Under Armor game yesterday.  but who knows right? 

Central has a chance to be good and a contender in the state. All depends on who runs the point guard and if they play as a team. Need to run the offense  and not try and play 1 man basketball.

McCamis is a heck of a player, and if he will penetrate and look for the open man, the kid can score his points plus have 10-12 assist a game. Just losing their PG will hurt, but Hayes, can step up and run the point as well. Should be a pretty solid team from the starting 5, going through about the 8th or 9th player off the bench. All of them seen playing time last year and have game experience.

Of course Gate City will be tough, with kids like Ervin and Dean it’s hard not to be competitive, all depends on what the coaching can surround those 2 with!!