TazCo Cuts Middle School Sports and more

Ryan4VT

Tazewell County has cut all middle school sports for 18-19 school year.

Also, they’ve eliminated coaching supplements for all varsity sports. That means every coach on every team now has to coach for free, and I honestly don’t see some coaches choosing to commit that amount of time with no monetary considerations. 

This could be the beginning of the death of sports in the county if this keeps up...

Bravo, Tazewell County School Board! You've mismanaged our county into this problem and now the kids and adults who already  end up in red if you count their hours compared to the supplement will suffer. Why don't you look at administrative, central office, & school board salaries? Shameful is the best word I can think of right now. Before anyone says drop in enrollment is the cause, most counties in SWVA are experiencing this but I haven't seen middle school sports cut or coaching supplements eliminated. TCSB members need voted out, period! Stepping down from my soap box. 

5 hours ago, 99Bama said:

In all seriousness, how did we get to this point? Are there other areas that are making these same cuts? 

They should’ve started this consolidation years ago!

3 hours ago, Bulldogs52 said:

Consolidation would mean the death of sports in the county. All 3 schools together would be a 4A school and outside of Blacksburg and Carroll, it’s a LONGGGGGGG way to play anyone else. The money on transportation would be pretty large. 

3 hours ago, Bulldogs52 said:

Consolidation would mean the death of sports in the county. All 3 schools together would be a 4A school and outside of Blacksburg and Carroll, it’s a LONGGGGGGG way to play anyone else. The money on transportation would be pretty large. 

19 minutes ago, Ryan4VT said:

Sports is on life support now with just closing to elementary schools! LOL! And they will not put all 3 schools together! So yes it should have been done 5-10 years ago, you gotta look further at the picture than sports!

When does the coaching carousel begin? Also would closing tazewell be enough to substan the schools? Hate to see any school close but that seems like the most obvious target to minimize transfers out of the county.

7 hours ago, Ryan4VT said:

Even worse...it would be solidly 5A.  Nearest 5A opponent would be Patrick Henry - Roanoke.

8 hours ago, Bulldogs52 said:

Sports is on life support now with just closing to elementary schools! LOL! And they will not put all 3 schools together! So yes it should have been done 5-10 years ago, you gotta look further at the picture than sports!

If you do two schools, the only real option is to close Tazewell. And when you do that, where do those kids go? Graham or Richlands? The three schools are in a straight line with Tazewell pretty well being the center, so where do you draw that line as to which side of Tazewell goes which way? 

I also don’t foresee the county having enough money to build TWO new schools, with two new sets of athletic facilities. 

So it’s either keep it 3, or close Tazewell. Cause consolidating to one is just plain dumb on all sorts of levels. 

2 hours ago, Ryan4VT said:

If you do two schools, the only real option is to close Tazewell. And when you do that, where do those kids go? Graham or Richlands? The three schools are in a straight line with Tazewell pretty well being the center, so where do you draw that line as to which side of Tazewell goes which way? 

I also don’t foresee the county having enough money to build TWO new schools, with two new sets of athletic facilities. 

So it’s either keep it 3, or close Tazewell. Cause consolidating to one is just plain dumb on all sorts of levels. 

No one said consolidate to 1 school but you! They have the plan, they’ve had it for sometime now!

1 hour ago, Bulldogs52 said:

No one said consolidate to 1 school but you! They have the plan, they’ve had it for sometime now!

Then what is the plan? Since you have inside info. 

13 minutes ago, Ryan4VT said:

Then what is the plan? Since you have inside info. 

I was wondering the same thing. It seems there is a lot of blame being placed on the current school board. I don't know all of the particulars but didnt the previous members make their fair share of dumb decisions?

To be clear, (because I'm having a hard time wrapping my mind around it) you're saying that varsity coaches will no longer get a coaching supplement starting this year? Eliminating sports in middle school is insane enough, but that is just beyond comprehension. I just don't know what to say....

1 hour ago, JDHoss said:

To be clear, (because I'm having a hard time wrapping my mind around it) you're saying that varsity coaches will no longer get a coaching supplement starting this year? Eliminating sports in middle school is insane enough, but that is just beyond comprehension. I just don't know what to say....

From what I’ve heard from coaches on varsity teams, yes. I’ve also seen it on paper as well. They are cutting $300k in athletic supplements if this goes through. That will be for varsity coaches as well. 

2 hours ago, JDHoss said:

It's a sad state of affairs if the current slate of school board members pass this with the budget. 

From the Bluefield Daily Telegraph (Editorial)

Budget crisis now impacting education

http://www.bdtonline.com/opinion/editorials/school-closures/article_732ca24e-89dd-5925-8bcc-d01e2b67345f.html

excerpt:

Complicating matters is the $3.4 million budget shortfall projected for Tazewell County in the 2018-2019 fiscal year. The county Board of Supervisors have already announced $2.9 million in budget cuts, as well as a hike in the real estate property tax and a proposed automobile tax. They say the county is facing a financial crisis brought on by a variety of factors, including a lower county-wide property reassessment, a decline in the coal and gas severance tax revenue as well as the machinery and tools tax revenue, and decreased overall economic activity, which has led to decreases in sales tax revenues.

I dont see the varsity coaches not being paid.  I read the article did not say that but did mention the 300,00 in cuts. If so it seems that the Tazewell coaches are the most dedicated because not one has resigned and all are coaching for free

2 hours ago, swvafbrespect said:

I dont see the varsity coaches not being paid.  I read the article did not say that but did mention the 300,00 in cuts. If so it seems that the Tazewell coaches are the most dedicated because not one has resigned and all are coaching for free

I’ve talked to several different varsity coaches at Richlands in 3 different sports who are being led to believe their pay may be getting cut. Take it for what it’s worth, but they believe it. 

On 6/23/2018 at 9:20 AM, Ryan4VT said:

Carroll is dropping to Class 3 next cycle.  And are actually well below the Class 4 threshold.  Population is dropping all around this area.

12 minutes ago, sixcat said:

Carroll is dropping to Class 3 next cycle.  And are actually well below the Class 4 threshold.  Population is dropping all around this area.

I was wrong. A combined TazCo would be solidly 5A lol. And that = death of high school athletics.