Cumberland, Black Diamond, and Hogo

huh

Everyone talks about the Mountain 7 and SWD, which everyone knows are the best districts in our area, but what are thoughts on the Cumberland, BDD, and Hogo. 4 teams made the playoffs out of the Cumberland last year and seem to have some good groups coming back in 1A. Grundy and Hurley should be good in BDD. Chilhowie and PH should be good in Hogo. Chilhowie is the team to beat, but let’s get some insight on everyone else in Region 1D.

I’d say they finish:

CD

Burton, TW, Eastside, Rye Cove, Twin Springs

head coaching changes with low numbers will hurt RC,TS, and EHS (maybe not the number as much as they just announced a new coach 2 months before opening week) 

HOGO

Chilhowie, Patrick Henry, Northwood, Holston 

Chilhowie returns to many to even have a close game with anybody in 1D PH will be solid  Northwood and Holston will fight it out for last in the Hogo  

BDD

GHS, Honaker, Hurley, Twin Valley

i don’t know much about these as the others but I’d say it will be between Honaker and Grundy. Interested to see how new coaches pan out for TV and Hurley  

top five seeds at the end of the season 

Chilhowie, Burton, TW, Patrick Henry and Grundy

CD

1. TW-have a bunch back and Coach does a great job

2. Burton-jimbo is jimbo and they will be there in the end especially with the QB

3. Eastside

4 RC up and coming

5.TS Warner has a tough job but will get it done n a few years

HOGO

Chilhowie all back except 1 starter and played for state title easy

PH solid group back

Holston Coach patterson has the troops working hard

Northwood lost too much to contend

BD

Grundy great back to lead them coming back

Honaker- returns a bunch

Hurley- new coach will be interesting

TV- new coach will have work to do

REgion D 1-Chilhowie,2-TW, 3 PH 4 Burton, 5 Grundy, 6-Honaker, 7 Hurley,  8 Eastside

I dont know much about the other districts but I see the Cumberland going down like this. 

Burton 

Tw

CW/ES

Ts

Rc

Why I have Thomas Walker 2nd, is because you have to be 21 to 28 points better to beat "15" players at Burton. I hope they Win but it's going to be a uphill Battle.

Chilhowie is going to be the team with everything to lose, the expectation will be high. I see them 9-1 or 10-0

Burton will have a better team than some think and coach Adams does a great job every year. Tough tough schedule has them around 5-5 or 6-4 again, but playoff ready.

Coach Palmer at PH is a great leader and even better person so it doesn’t matter what he has he will get the best out of them I think 7-3 

Grundy I think will have a better year than last year. McNutt was a horse but Fiser is a stud. Have a few really good lineman. If they can play with ridgeview that first week they might go 9-1 or 8-2

Hurley will be a lot better than anyone seems to be talking about. Church is a hard worker and the kids apparently love him. Tester did a great job so it will be a pressure packed job right off. I think at worst they are 5-5 but probably 6-4.

Eastside will be good this year, still some good athletes. Hicks did a great job and with Rhodes they will have a proven winner to continue. Tough start to the schedule but could be 6-4 or 5-5.

Honaker is a big question mark, don’t know much about them. Lost Hartley Hilton who was best player they had. Don’t want to take a chance on predicting what they might be, Hubbard has done well with very little before.

Castlewood always plays hard and Taylor has been around a while so don’t count them out. It will be hard to replace Ward, Bellamy, and Cornett.  

Rye Cove and Twin Springs are both going to be a lot better off in the long run. Warner will do a great job at TS and in a few years they will be good. They will fight hard this year. Osborne will do good at RC, but he will have Jeremy Houseright helping from what I hear, which is a game changer. If nothing else they will be well coached. Numbers so low for both it is hard to overcome sometimes, but I see improvement for both

Twin Valley might sneak in with their schedule and win 5 or 6 games and make the playoffs. Ward has experience, so he knows what it takes. Losing Dales will hurt, but the QB is a playmaker and they had a few athletes. 

Don’t know anything about Holston or Northwood.

Don't like to talk about Thomas Walker too much, don’t want to be one of those fans, but expectations are high. A lot coming back and some kids working hard. We will see what happens.

Might seem like low expectations to some, but from what I have gathered the school only has one playoff win in history. 1996 against maybe Ervinton, so building on last year and getting a win in the playoffs would be great for the school. 

On 7/6/2018 at 5:02 PM, huh said:

Might seem like low expectations to some, but from what I have gathered the school only has one playoff win in history. 1996 against maybe Ervinton, so building on last year and getting a win in the playoffs would be great for the school. 

It was against Ervinton in 1996.  TW was 9-1 going into that game if my memory is correct and had a tough time with a Brad McCoy led Rebel bunch.  They fell the next week at home to Appy in the regional finals.

I am pretty sure it is the longest current drought without a playoff win in Southwest Va. I think there was an article a few years back that talked about Hurley, TW, and Abingdon all being tied and both Hurley and Abingdon have won a playoff game since then. 

• 2 weeks later...

Cumberland- 

1-Norton

2-Eastside 

3-Thomas Walker 

4-Castlewood 

5-Twin Springs 

6-Rye Cove 

If Thomas Walker were to finish ahead of Eastside I wouldn't be surprised. I just need to see TW beat Norton or Eastside before I'm believing the hype. Time will tell. 

Hogo- 

Chilhowie should be the team to beat in my opinion. 

1-Chilhowie 

2-PH

3-Northwood 

4-Holston 

BDD-

1-Grundy

2-Honaker 

3-Hurley 

4-Twin Valley 

Honaker/Hurley could be the other way too. 

TW has 31 on the roster, which is a great number for them. 

I am hearing Burton is in the mid 20’s

Eastside 35-40 range as always

Eastside and Burton are both going to be good and well coached, the new coach at Eastside did a great job at Union. They are the biggest school and  will always have talented athletes. It will be interesting at the top this year.

Still haven’t heard anything about Castlewood

6 hours ago, TwhscoachT said:

With the talented transfers to Ridgeview and graduation, you still think Eastside will be at the top of the Cumberland?

From what my nephew is saying they still have one of the top QBs in the region and two more boys from the basketball team at receiver again this year over 6"2

21 hours ago, TwhscoachT said:

With the talented transfers to Ridgeview and graduation, you still think Eastside will be at the top of the Cumberland?

My answer is No. Matthew Sexton was Eastside's best returning player aside from the QB Rasnick but Sexton transferred to Ridgeview. He should help them on both sides of the ball. Eastside isn't known as a football school.  Neither was Coeburn. My opinion on the matter is that Norton will be back on top because that's their usual spot. Thomas Walker may be on the come up and Eastside may have a few good players but I don't know if that's enough to get them back to the top.

Eastside is going to be a lot better than people are giving them credit for. My opinion they will be very well coached from everything I read and hear. They have good athletes, maybe not the total caliber of last year, but still good. Don’t count them out just yet.