Rivalry Game(s)

Tigers_07

Union @ Richlands. No more Mitchell, and a new D coordinator in week two. Blues should be much better than last season. I think it will be back to the crazy competitive game it wasn’t before the regular season meeting last year. 

I think Richlands beats Tazewell this year. It’s next year that has many a Tornado fan worried. That team will be stout next year. 

Richlands vs Graham should be a very competitive game and always a hard hitting battle.  Richlands vs Union has become a must see game always supplying excitement, and once again Richlands vs Tazewell is becoming a classic match up, thanks to the Dawgs improving.  Just want to see some good old fashioned hard hitting, heart pounding, down to the wire, SWVA high school football.

11 hours ago, SW_VA_boy said:

Since Tennessee High coach last thought he was in Canada and punted on 3rd down.

I remember that very well! That game was a HUGE upset. 

99.99999% of the time, Tn High beats us because they are bigger and stronger up front. We can usually match their skill players in ability. That was not the case in that game. They were better than us across the board. The Football Gods just smiled on us multiple times that night.

We should have beaten them last year. A broken play, with a desperation heave by their QB, right before halftime, coupled with a horrible decision by our QB in the first series after halftime, turned a tied game in to a 10 point lead for them, was the difference in the game. We beat them in every statistic, except the most important one.

We should definitely beat them at the Castle this year. We should take a couple steps forward from last year's team, while they should take a step back.

I say if Tennessee High go down to Knoxville and give Knox Central a good game or beating them and then I can I can only see one team beating them or giving them a good game left on there schedule it would be Elizabethton and not the Bearcats what I’ve seen and heard that this one of the best teams that Coach Mays have had since he been head coach

Tennessee High Vikings
City- Bristol
County-Sullivan 
Enrollment- 1,190
Last Season’s Record- 6-5
Region- 1-5A
Head Coach- Mike Mays (27-28 in five years at Tennessee)
Offensive Coordinator- Wally Profitt
Defensive Coordinator- Matt Chandler
Offense- Spread 
Defense- 4-2-5
Returning Starters on Offense/Defense- 14 (8 Off/6 Def)
Last Playoff Appearance- 2017
Key Returnees- Cade Mitchell (RB/S, Sr.), Ryan Gibson (RB/S, Sr.), Isaac Trivette (OL/DT, Sr.), Wyatt Mullins (OL/DE, Sr.), Damian Duff (DE, Jr.), Jason Dhooghe (DE, Jr.), Joe Maggard (OT, Sr.), Chandler Smith (OL, Sr.), Jake Hollen (OL, Sr.), Kelvin Coleman (LB, Jr.), CJ Hess (WR, Sr.), Hunter Holt (RB, Sr.), Nolan Wishon (TE, Jr.)
Key Losses- Courtland Carter (QB/LB), J.T Scott (TE/L), Darius Eury (RB/LB), Jeffrey Van Vanvalkenburg (RB/LB), Austin Blackwell (OL/DT), Noah Able (DB/RB), Jacob Fouch (DB/WR),Q
Streak Going Into 2018- two game losing streak

i miss the Honaker/Haysi rivalry game at the end of the regular season to decide the winner of the black diamond district and does anyone from the Wise County area miss the Powell Valley/Appalachia rivalry game. but i'm with some of y'all, can't wait to see Union/Richlands to go at it

15 minutes ago, Tigers_07 said:

i miss the Honaker/Haysi rivalry game at the end of the regular season to decide the winner of the black diamond district and does anyone from the Wise County area miss the Powell Valley/Appalachia rivalry game. but i'm with some of y'all, can't wait to see Union/Richlands to go at it

I miss the Appy/PV games of the 80's and 90's. Only a few close games in the 2000's and those last few years before combining were just sad.

Union/Richlands has truly turned into something special. Very reminiscent of the PV/Appy games in the good years. I do believe that Union/Ridgeview has some potential to turn into a good rivalry and should be a great game this year.

19 hours ago, Tigers_07 said:

I'll never forget 2013 for sure... both 9-0 heading in, standing room only at Sandlick, all the makings for an instant classic only for us to run that opening kickoff back for a TD and the game never being in doubt after that.

On 7/15/2018 at 4:56 PM, Grapeape said:

Tennessee will not finish within 25 points of Central. They (Central) made it to the third or fourth round in what should have been a down year in 17 after 16's championship appearance. Rosser is the best coach around. 

I hate to say to say the best coach around is Coach Ballard of the Greenville Greene Devils and before George Quarles left to go to Furman he was the best coach around

3 minutes ago, trublue said:

Re: the following about Coach Ballard's son committing...(I get on Coach T and follow some of the TN schools)

Tim Hayes Retweeted

Matt Daniels @The_Matty_D

Matt Daniels Retweeted Cade Ballard

Greeneville QB Cade Ballard commits to West Point

great state

This kid is a helluva football player. They list him at 5'10, but I'm guessing that's in cleats and his helmet. He looks like a kid you'd see playing LB or maybe at FB on any given high school team. I've seen him play probably 6 times over his career, and he never fails to deliver. 

https://www.hudl.com/video/3/4747069/5a273cc042076e27e05f02b2

11 hours ago, swva_havok_fan said:

I'll never forget 2013 for sure... both 9-0 heading in, standing room only at Sandlick, all the makings for an instant classic only for us to run that opening kickoff back for a TD and the game never being in doubt after that.

Do you remember the 2007 Monday night game that ended with a blocked field goal to end the game with haysi on the 2 yard line 😉? Haysi would have never got the ball back if it wasn't for me lol got called for holding and the drive stalled trying to run the clock out!

7 minutes ago, Widespread_Panic said:

UVA-Wise Vs. Emory & Henry. How these 2 teams don't play ever year is beyond stupid. Big gates and very competitive games but Emory refuses to play. 

The butthurt was strong after that last game and I would say the comments in this article by E & H's coach, at the time, probably sums up perfectly why they don't play anymore.

http://www.highlandcavalier.com/2011/09/23/cavs-sting-wasps-33-30/

1 hour ago, Widespread_Panic said:

UVA-Wise Vs. Emory & Henry. How these 2 teams don't play ever year is beyond stupid. Big gates and very competitive games but Emory refuses to play. 

I believe in the MEC that UVA-Wise is only able to schedule conference games to fill their schedule.  I could be mistaken though.  Maybe that changes with the move to the SAC.  It does become a tougher game for E&H now than it used to be with the additional scholarship opportunities I believe UVA-Wise has now.

1 hour ago, 1inStripes said:

I believe in the MEC that UVA-Wise is only able to schedule conference games to fill their schedule.  I could be mistaken though.  Maybe that changes with the move to the SAC.  It does become a tougher game for E&H now than it used to be with the additional scholarship opportunities I believe UVA-Wise has now.

Yep, UVA-Wise is D2 and Emory and Henry is D3.  There are no athletic scholarships in D3 (though most schools supplement those with need-based or merit-based scholarships).  D3 also has much more restricted practice and travel schedules than D2.