Best Game(s) over the years (playoffs included)

Tigers_07

That Honaker state semi vs Essex a few years back was a helluva game to be at. Just crazy back and forth all the way to the end. 

The Richalnds state title win was crazy too, with a blocked FG in the last 20 seconds to win. 

Any of the Richlands/Union games that ended on the last play of the game were fun. 

15 hours ago, Ryan4VT said:

That Honaker state semi vs Essex a few years back was a helluva game to be at. Just crazy back and forth all the way to the end. 

The Richalnds state title win was crazy too, with a blocked FG in the last 20 seconds to win. 

Any of the Richlands/Union games that ended on the last play of the game were fun. 

I don't think we have ever played Essex in football. Could be wrong but are you thinking of the Altavista game?

Tazewell vs George Wythe back in mid 80s @ GW. Frigid & snowing...that's back when you had really accomplished a lot more to make it state before VHSL became such a money racket. Graham/Beaver games , 2017 was definitely memorable. Looking for G-Men victory this year.

In no particular order.....

* Gate City @ Appalachia 1966 or maybe it was 67.

* Appalachia @ PV 1997

* PV vs Madison Co 1982 state finals

* PV vs Lunenburg Central 1989 state finals

* JJ Kelly vs Parry McClure 1981 semis

* Gate City vs Dublin 1972 (?) semis

* Seemingly every Union vs Richlands game

* 1971(?) Clintwood vs Madison Co state finals

13 hours ago, JDHoss said:

In no particular order.....

* Gate City @ Appalachia 1966 or maybe it was 67.

* Appalachia @ PV 1997

* PV vs Madison Co 1982 state finals

* PV vs Lunenburg Central 1989 state finals

* JJ Kelly vs Parry McClure 1981 semis

* Gate City vs Dublin 1972 (?) semis

* Seemingly every Union vs Richlands game

* 1971(?) Clintwood vs Madison Co state finals

That Gate City vs Dublin game was in 1970. 

My top 5 of all time:

5.  Haysi at JJ Kelly (2008) -- Tigers score 2 TD's in final minute of regulation to tie it, then win in OT on a FG 41-38.

4.  Galax at Haysi (2013) -- Reminiscent of a big time heavyweight title fight from days gone by.  Both teams went blow for blow in an epic back and forth ebb and flow slugfest until the stud RB Steven Peoples became gassed and Galax could no longer answer the Tigers in the 4th quarter.  Haysi wins it 40-25 but the game was closer than the final score appears.

3.  Powell Valley at Haysi (2005) -- Epic final drive to get Allen Owens in great position to kick the game winning FG as time expired.  Tigers win the Region D title 17-14.

1. (tie) Galax at Haysi (2014) -- The final ever game at Sandlick and an instant classic. TD by Ryan Turner from 5 yards out with 1:01 left gets the Tigers within 1.  Coach Colley opts to go for 2 and the win.  The 2 point conversion pass from Jalen Sykes to Guage Hill is nothing short of a thing of beauty.  Galax can not respond in the final minute.  Haysi wins 29-28 and advances to the state semis.

1. (tie) Powell Valley at Haysi (1993) -- Vikings build a quick 12-0 early lead but a missed XP and then a missed 2 point try would come back to haunt the Vikings dearly.  PV maintains the 12-0 lead into halftime.  Haysi scores on their first possession of the second half to cut the Viking lead to 12-7.  Both teams hold serve till deep in the 4th quarter when the Vikings are faced with 4th down in Haysi territory.  PV opts to punt.  What happens next is nothing short of startling as it's the greatest play in Haysi football history.  Blaine Hackney, instead of letting the punt go into the end zone for a touchback, fields it at the 1.  He evades a couple of Viking defenders and that was all she wrote as he went down the far sideline in the rain and the slop, losing his footing in the final 10 yards and stumbling but somehow falling into the end zone for the game winning 99 yard TD.  PV makes one final charge as on the final play, Billy Coleman of the Tigers makes an amazing shoestring tackle saving what would've been a sure TD for the Vikings as time expired.  Haysi wins the Region D title 14-12.

My favorite was the 2012 Galax at Fort Chiswell game.  Four future D1 starters going head-to-head in Daniel Hamm ,Coleman Thomas, Steven Peoples and Caleb Spurlin. 

Fort Chiswell trailed 36-22 with less than a minute on the clock and Galax in possession of the football.................AND WON! 

4 hours ago, swva_havok_fan said:

1. (tie) Powell Valley at Haysi (1993) -- Vikings build a quick 12-0 early lead but a missed XP and then a missed 2 point try would come back to haunt the Vikings dearly.  PV maintains the 12-0 lead into halftime.  Haysi scores on their first possession of the second half to cut the Viking lead to 12-7.  Both teams hold serve till deep in the 4th quarter when the Vikings are faced with 4th down in Haysi territory.  PV opts to punt.  What happens next is nothing short of startling as it's the greatest play in Haysi football history.  Blaine Hackney, instead of letting the punt go into the end zone for a touchback, fields it at the 1.  He evades a couple of Viking defenders and that was all she wrote as he went down the far sideline in the rain and the slop, losing his footing in the final 10 yards and stumbling but somehow falling into the end zone for the game winning 99 yard TD.  PV makes one final charge as on the final play, Billy Coleman of the Tigers makes an amazing shoestring tackle saving what would've been a sure TD for the Vikings as time expired.  Haysi wins the Region D title 14-12.

I guess this was remembered by a Haysi fan.  PV physically beat Haysi up and down between the 20's.  PV fumbled a kickoff on the 5 yard line to allow their first score, and of course no one will ever forget Hackney running down the sideline for that kick.  The last play wasn't a shoe string tackle, as the QB decided to run with the football when there was 3 wide - open receivers in the end-zone, when the QB took off.  He ran out of bounds at the 25-yard line.  It was a very physical, sloppy played game in mud that stuck to you!

Graham @ Richlands 2007. Graham upsets Richlands at Ernie to end their 33 game regular season win streak.

Graham/Beaver 2008. Graham holds Bluefield at the one yard line to win the game in probably one of the most controversial moments in the history of the rivalry.

Graham/Beaver 2017. Bluefield holds Graham at the one yard line to win the game.

Any game at Ernie when Richlands is in the playoffs. Even as a Graham grad, the atmosphere is always awesome. 

7 hours ago, bgibb said:

Any game at Ernie when Richlands is in the playoffs. Even as a Graham grad, the atmosphere is always awesome. 

I 2nd this. VHS @ Ernie, 2013, is one of my all-time favorites, even in a loss for the Bearcats.

1 week after VHS pulls the monumental upset at Gretna, they roll into Richlands (for the 2nd time in a matter of weeks) with a ton of momentum. 

With a minute left to go in regulation, VHS has a 7 point lead and the ball at the Richlands 10 yd line. On 3rd & 8, the VHS 2000 yd RB is stopped short of the first down line. Instead of going down, and letting his team attempt the probable game winning FG, the team captain tries to fight for extra yards to put the game on ice himself, when the Richlands defender makes a spectacular play in ripping the ball free, and racing 90 yds for the tying score.

3 overtimes later, Richlands advances while VHS is left to wonder "What if?" That night had a Major College type atmosphere.

3 hours ago, Bearcat Dad said:

I 2nd this. VHS @ Ernie, 2013, is one of my all-time favorites, even in a loss for the Bearcats.

1 week after VHS pulls the monumental upset at Gretna, they roll into Richlands (for the 2nd time in a matter of weeks) with a ton of momentum. 

With a minute left to go in regulation, VHS has a 7 point lead and the ball at the Richlands 10 yd line. On 3rd & 8, the VHS 2000 yd RB is stopped short of the first down line. Instead of going down, and letting his team attempt the probable game winning FG, the team captain tries to fight for extra yards to put the game on ice himself, when the Richlands defender makes a spectacular play in ripping the ball free, and racing 90 yds for the tying score.

3 overtimes later, Richlands advances while VHS is left to wonder "What if?" That night had a Major College type atmosphere.

That game took 4 years off my life. One of the most fun games I’ve seen. Should have been on my original list. 

I always forget about the Eastern Montgomery/ Riverheads game from 2010 in the State Championship. They played before GC and Gretna. That was one of the wildest games I've  ever watched. Riverheads won 63-49. If EM hadn't fumbled on one of the kickoffs, they may still be playing.