Best Game(s) over the years (playoffs included)

Tigers_07

4 hours ago, Ryan4VT said:

That game took 4 years off my life. One of the most fun games I’ve seen. Should have been on my original list. 

That was one of those games that as a fan, you were so in to, that you didn't pay much attention to the terrible weather lol. Cold November rain!

Personal favorites of mine.  Playoff game wise,  last years loss to Galax was one of the greats for me.  Overall, my favorite would be the Fort Chiswell comeback game in 1994.  Down big late and came back and won on a busted play flea flicker that ended up with the FB accidently catching the pitch back and sidearm slingin (wearing shoulder brace) to the TE to win it.  Clinched a share of the district title and snuck Narrows into the 4 seed of what be their best playoff run to date.  Would beat 1 seed 9-1 Bath Co. 44-3 the next week and Bland Co. 30-0 after that before losing to champ Appalachia 30-6 in the Park.  

On 7/9/2018 at 9:31 AM, swva_havok_fan said:

4.  Galax at Haysi (2013) -- Reminiscent of a big time heavyweight title fight from days gone by.  Both teams went blow for blow in an epic back and forth ebb and flow slugfest until the stud RB Steven Peoples became gassed and Galax could no longer answer the Tigers in the 4th quarter.  Haysi wins it 40-25 but the game was closer than the final score appears.

Such a fun game to be at. 

On 7/9/2018 at 10:58 PM, Bearcat Dad said:

I 2nd this. VHS @ Ernie, 2013, is one of my all-time favorites, even in a loss for the Bearcats.

1 week after VHS pulls the monumental upset at Gretna, they roll into Richlands (for the 2nd time in a matter of weeks) with a ton of momentum. 

With a minute left to go in regulation, VHS has a 7 point lead and the ball at the Richlands 10 yd line. On 3rd & 8, the VHS 2000 yd RB is stopped short of the first down line. Instead of going down, and letting his team attempt the probable game winning FG, the team captain tries to fight for extra yards to put the game on ice himself, when the Richlands defender makes a spectacular play in ripping the ball free, and racing 90 yds for the tying score.

3 overtimes later, Richlands advances while VHS is left to wonder "What if?" That night had a Major College type atmosphere.

This one was a lot of fun for the the Right Guard wearing #66 in Blue that night....my all-time favorite. 

11 hours ago, rvtne215 said:

This one was a lot of fun for the the Right Guard wearing #66 in Blue that night....my all-time favorite. 

This would be my all-time favorite that either my son or I didn't play in. As a fan, with no real horse in the race for that particular game, other than being a VHS alum, it was great! Better than most college and pro games I've ever been to.

here are my favorite playoff games I've watched or listen to thoughout the years.

1. Honaker vs Clintwood 1999 Region D Championship game, Heath Miller vs Justin Hamilton, went into 2OT to decide a champion. i think the score was 20-19 with Honaker taking the Region D title

2. Honaker vs Sussex Central 2012. Sussex Central put it on Honaker the first half, second half Honaker woke up and started playing SWVA Football with the final being 48-41 (i think)

3 Richlands vs Rockbridge County 2006. That's one state title game everyone will be talking about for years and years, especially with the block FG to decide the winner

4 Gate City vs Honaker 2004, back and forth game with 4th Q deciding to see who goes for the Region D Title. 23-21 was the final with Gate City taking the W

5 Richlands vs Stuarts Draft 2016. talk about a barn burner of a game with Richlands making a comeback in the 4th and winning to advanced to the state title game

It is really difficult to pin down even a top 10 list as Union/Richlands would take most of those spots. Thinking about this, I wondered what exactly made for a great game. Is it the closeness of the score, a back and forth struggle with each team matching score for score, a swing in momentum, incredible plays or individual effort, or a wild finish? I sorta came to the conclusion that it was the games that I remembered best because of how they made me feel due to a surge of adrenaline.

1989 - PV/Lunenburg....the catch by Ricky Webb with 51 seconds to go to tie the game at 20 with the PAT to win 21-20
1997 - PV/Appy....an incredible game that was a tossup from the time the fans rushed to their seats when the gates opened until the final Appy drive ended in an INT to give PV the win
2012 - John Battle/Giles...just wanted to watch a good playoff game that was supposed to be an easy Giles victory, but after the initial, confident march down the field for a Giles TD, Battle dominated every aspect of the game and got a 37-14 victory that shocked me and I believe everyone else in the stadium.
2013 - Union/Richlands....Union was down 21-14 with 1:40 to go (If I recall correctly), people were leaving park, then a 60 yd catch and run tied the game. Then the crazy pick 6 as time expired to win it.
2014- Union/Richlands....Down 28-7 in the 4th, a furious comeback from desperate plays drawn up in the "sand" along with a busted PAT that resulted in a successful 2pt attempt, along with a TD and PAT as time expired led to a 29-28 victory for the Bears
2015 - Union/Richlands...Absolutely one of the most exciting games from start to finish. Hyped before the season even started, it lived up to the expectations. A 42-41 victory in OT by Union.
2016 - Union/Dan River....I don't think I've ever jumped and screamed so much in a game as I did when James Mitchell hauled in the go ahead touchdown in dramatic fashion with less than 3 minutes to go in the game
2017 - Union/Morristown West....That goal line stand by the Union D was incredible. Part of an amazing defensive effort to pull out a 14-10 victory. Especially against a team with 88 players and an enrollment 2.5 times bigger.
2017 - Union/Appomattox...While the Bears came up short, this game had the makings of a wild comeback worthy of a Richlands comparison. Don't think I've ever heard the Park that loud during a couple of key moments, and I'll always remember the support from surrounding teams fans.

On 7/9/2018 at 9:31 AM, swva_havok_fan said:

My top 5 of all time:

5.  Haysi at JJ Kelly (2008) -- Tigers score 2 TD's in final minute of regulation to tie it, then win in OT on a FG 41-38.

One of the most memorable games I have officiated for multiple reasons.  Hand the ball to Sproles on 2nd down after recovering the onsides and I think JJK wins.  He was getting 3 yards a pop and had been sure handed.  When I saw the sweep develop I had a feeling something crazy was about to happen.

As a player:  My sophomore year of HS was a doozy.  We lost to Hurley by 4 (D2 runners up) Northwood by 1.  Holston by 2. St. Paul by 6 in OT.  But the killer to us was losing to Thomas Walker 17-14 on a FG with 15 seconds left in Ewing.  They had only 1 loss on the year and at that point we only had 1 win over Whitewood.  Down 14 in the 4th and pinned at our 3 some rowdy fans were giving us the business during a TO and our coach challenged us.  1 play 97 yards with a FB guard trap cut it to 8.   We get a stop and go down and score again and I get the 2 pt conversion pass just before being sacked with a minute left.  Unfortunately TW drives down the field and hits a 30 yard FG with 15 seconds left to win 17-14.  

Best game I watched was either Honaker/Clintwood 99 regional final or Gate City/Jefferson Forest 97 state semi.  GC/JF may take the spot on second thought.

As an official, Union/Richlands 2 years ago would be hard to top, but I have been fortunate to work quite a few good games in the last 17 seasons.

6 hours ago, goose111874 said:

Appalachia at gate city 1994 I think.  The game were appy scored on a flea flicker on the last minute or two.

93, & it was friggin' homecoming. They shut GC out in 94, 14-0 i believe. Appy has these 500 lb twins & one played fullback... 

17 hours ago, Grapeape said:

93, & it was friggin' homecoming. They shut GC out in 94, 14-0 i believe. Appy has these 500 lb twins & one played fullback... 

The Myers twins.  They were some big bastages.  That team was loaded for sure.  

On 7/16/2018 at 1:58 PM, Union_Fan said:

It is really difficult to pin down even a top 10 list as Union/Richlands would take most of those spots. Thinking about this, I wondered what exactly made for a great game. Is it the closeness of the score, a back and forth struggle with each team matching score for score, a swing in momentum, incredible plays or individual effort, or a wild finish? I sorta came to the conclusion that it was the games that I remembered best because of how they made me feel due to a surge of adrenaline.

1989 - PV/Lunenburg....the catch by Ricky Webb with 51 seconds to go to tie the game at 20 with the PAT to win 21-20
1997 - PV/Appy....an incredible game that was a tossup from the time the fans rushed to their seats when the gates opened until the final Appy drive ended in an INT to give PV the win
2012 - John Battle/Giles...just wanted to watch a good playoff game that was supposed to be an easy Giles victory, but after the initial, confident march down the field for a Giles TD, Battle dominated every aspect of the game and got a 37-14 victory that shocked me and I believe everyone else in the stadium.
2013 - Union/Richlands....Union was down 21-14 with 1:40 to go (If I recall correctly), people were leaving park, then a 60 yd catch and run tied the game. Then the crazy pick 6 as time expired to win it.
2014- Union/Richlands....Down 28-7 in the 4th, a furious comeback from desperate plays drawn up in the "sand" along with a busted PAT that resulted in a successful 2pt attempt, along with a TD and PAT as time expired led to a 29-28 victory for the Bears
2015 - Union/Richlands...Absolutely one of the most exciting games from start to finish. Hyped before the season even started, it lived up to the expectations. A 42-41 victory in OT by Union.
2016 - Union/Dan River....I don't think I've ever jumped and screamed so much in a game as I did when James Mitchell hauled in the go ahead touchdown in dramatic fashion with less than 3 minutes to go in the game
2017 - Union/Morristown West....That goal line stand by the Union D was incredible. Part of an amazing defensive effort to pull out a 14-10 victory. Especially against a team with 88 players and an enrollment 2.5 times bigger.
2017 - Union/Appomattox...While the Bears came up short, this game had the makings of a wild comeback worthy of a Richlands comparison. Don't think I've ever heard the Park that loud during a couple of key moments, and I'll always remember the support from surrounding teams fans.

that's a great list but it's missing some great games from the 90s and 2000s from Gate City/PV. 97, 2001, 2004, all were incredible games. 2001 was the last competitive PV/AHS game IIRC, it was a doozy.

On ‎7‎/‎9‎/‎2018 at 2:30 PM, FoxTrot said:

I guess this was remembered by a Haysi fan.  PV physically beat Haysi up and down between the 20's.  PV fumbled a kickoff on the 5 yard line to allow their first score, and of course no one will ever forget Hackney running down the sideline for that kick.  The last play wasn't a shoe string tackle, as the QB decided to run with the football when there was 3 wide - open receivers in the end-zone, when the QB took off.  He ran out of bounds at the 25-yard line.  It was a very physical, sloppy played game in mud that stuck to you!

Haysi got the snot kicked out of them that day and won with a miracle play. That play was awesome, but Haysi fans know one more thing that makes this a miracle, is that Blaine Hackney was not a speedster. He wasn't slow, but he wasn't a burner either. If you told me that our only hope was Hackney out sprinting the whole town of Big Stone for 99 yards I would have bet my last dime on PV. That's why you play the games though.

On 7/17/2018 at 10:38 PM, Grapeape said:

Yeah it was 93 because Larry Huff was qb  and not Turner.