Jump to content
Bearcat Dad

Top 10 SWVA Games (BHC)

Recommended Posts

25 minutes ago, Bearcat Dad said:

I have to agree. A few games belong, but I think some top notch matchups were left off.

I'm a little puzzled at Graham vs VA High. I would have put Graham & Beaver or Graham & Richlands instead but I'm no sports' writer. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
42 minutes ago, Gridiron60 said:

I'm a little puzzled at Graham vs VA High. I would have put Graham & Beaver or Graham & Richlands instead but I'm no sports' writer. 

Not to sound biased, but that should actually be one of the better matchups this year. VHS returns a big majority of a 7 win team from a year ago and Graham will be the team many pick to be the early favorite in 2D.

I know VHS is not usually in the discussion for football, but this should be their best team in a couple of decades. Last year, they could play with just about everyone in 2D. They should be better this year. They are one of the very few teams in 2D that didnt suffer a major blow with graduation. I expect this to be a good game.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, Bearcat Dad said:

Not to sound biased, but that should actually be one of the better matchups this year. VHS returns a big majority of a 7 win team from a year ago and Graham will be the team many pick to be the early favorite in 2D.

I know VHS is not usually in the discussion for football, but this should be their best team in a couple of decades. Last year, they could play with just about everyone in 2D. They should be better this year. They are one of the very few teams in 2D that didnt suffer a major blow with graduation. I expect this to be a good game.

Oh, I look forward to the game then. Thanks for the information; I wish them luck this season except for this game, of course. Lol

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
49 minutes ago, Gridiron60 said:

Oh, I look forward to the game then. Thanks for the information; I wish them luck this season except for this game, of course. Lol

Lol, I understand completely! Good luck to you guys, as well.

No sweat, man. These types of discussions are what brings me back to this board. I thought I knew a lot about SWVA football before I joined a year and a half ago. I've learned a bunch about some programs in that time. 

If healthy, VHS could possibly make some noise. I doubt into December, but expectations are high in Bristol and not just on a field that's shaped like a diamond! 😂

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The gmen will be good but I'm not sure I'm putting them as a earl favorite in 2a....not sure they get past the blues to win the district....the blues will be better than ppl thinks...if they can run the ball they will be very good I think.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, #1BLUESFAN said:

The gmen will be good but I'm not sure I'm putting them as a earl favorite in 2a....not sure they get past the blues to win the district....the blues will be better than ppl thinks...if they can run the ball they will be very good I think.

Hopefully, it will be a great game between GMen & Blue Tornado, two top notch teams! I'm interested to see what former Blues Defensive Coordinator brings to the table for GMen. He's definitely got a lot of experience & I was told two state championship rings under his belt. Hopefully, GMen make it to state & well, a ring would be even sweeter. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, #1BLUESFAN said:

The gmen will be good but I'm not sure I'm putting them as a earl favorite in 2a....not sure they get past the blues to win the district....the blues will be better than ppl thinks...if they can run the ball they will be very good I think.

It will be a great game, I'm sure.

I hope all teams and coaches believe that the Southwest will be a 2 team race. It was kinda fun flying under everyone's radar last year. @swva_havok_fan would agree with the last part, I presume 😁

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/15/2018 at 3:06 AM, Bearcat Dad said:

It will be a great game, I'm sure.

I hope all teams and coaches believe that the Southwest will be a 2 team race. It was kinda fun flying under everyone's radar last year. @swva_havok_fan would agree with the last part, I presume 😁

Yep, I don't believe the Pack will be sneaking up on anyone this year I'm afraid.  :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, swva_havok_fan said:

Yep, I don't believe the Pack will be sneaking up on anyone this year I'm afraid.  :)

I'd say you're right about that. I know they're near the top of the region in my list, but that's a good thing. 

VHS laid a HUGE egg in Bluefield last year, so most people stopped taking us seriously, and I understand that history can predetermine the way a lot of people think. That's why its so weird to see Gate City going thru what they are right now. I think we will stay under the radar, at least early on.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/18/2018 at 9:26 AM, Union_Fan said:

 

 

TBH I hate articles like that. You (rhetorical you, not you in particular man) think kids around here aren't like kids everywhere else, making dumb IG posts and playing Fortnite? This isn't 1970 any more, the kids work just as hard as ever but it's a more modern world and SWVA is no exception. Some kids still fish and hunt and are outdoors types, but not all kids are and articles like this almost work to shame kids who maybe don't enjoy those things yet work just as hard. 

Football teams are successful in this area because the schools view it as important, the kids work very hard starting at a young age and there are a lot of good coaches in the area. It's not because this area produces these supposed hillbilly kids who have no concept of the world outside of SWVA/NET and only live to hunt, fish and play futbaw by god, I think it's a silly narrative that unfairly has SWVA being stuck in the past in some negative ways. I understand he's making a point about the changing landscapes, but there's no such thing as ' mountain magic', it's kids that work hard and dedicate themselves. Every team in this area has had some lean years because talent waxes and wanes. Bigger schools who place more importance on football and have a great system in place like in BSG, Richlands, Clintwood, etc.. Will succeed more often than not but it's not because of anything other than the kids and the coaches. 

 

This article is far from the most offensive in that regard and I have no animus towards Allen Gregory, I'm just using this recent article to make a point about a narrative that gets parroted a lot. Maybe I'm the only person who feels this way, I know a lot of people take pride in the notion that SWVA isn't the rest of the world, it's somehow more pure, but that's naive. Kids are basically the same all over, different areas have different interests and rural communities do have differences from major urban centers but at their core, teenagers are teenagers. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×