Darren Reed Out

Ryan4VT

56 minutes ago, Ryan4VT said:

Reed has resigned from Abingdon. Not sure why. Casey from WCYB reporting it. 

Tim Hayes @Hayes_BHCSports

E-Mail from Abingdon principal B.J. Lasley: "At this point, I have been informed by Coach [Darren] Reed that he is stepping down as head football coach at Abingdon High School" #VHSL #HCFH

great state

45 minutes ago, Ryan4VT said:

Seems like he's headed back to GC to teach and for "family reasons."

Not sure about the teaching position yet, but I can confirm some legitimate family issues for him that would require him to be closer to home.

13 minutes ago, #BBN said:

Could Reed possibly be going back to coach at GC? From the sounds of it people wouldn’t happy with Akers, and would they be willing to take Reed back?

I've heard he'll be the DC at GC? That's not confirmed, though. 

Darren Reed resigns as Abingdon football head coach. Hired at Gate City where he will likely be named defensive coordinator... Contract not renewed at GC for baseball coach Terry Fields. Head asst. Jonathan Salyer or former Wise Central asst. Jeremiah Riner to replace him.

7 hours ago, GC_Quincy said:

Darren Reed resigns as Abingdon football head coach. Hired at Gate City where he will likely be named defensive coordinator... Contract not renewed at GC for baseball coach Terry Fields. Head asst. Jonathan Salyer or former Wise Central asst. Jeremiah Riner to replace him.

And here's the article...https://www.timesnews.net/Sports/2018/07/20/div-class-libPageBodyLinebreak-Reed-returning-to-Gate-City-football-program-Fields-out-as-baseball-coach-div.html?ci=stream&lp=2&p=1

Darren Reed for Head Coach 2019. I’m so glad Reed has made his way back home. Hopefully the plan is to make him the lead man next season. This is the only thing I’m excited about for this season. I had no interest until this news broke. Akers needs to be gone now, but I can wait 10 games. Little League numbers are why down all the way up to varsity. Kids continue to quit and I hear GC might not have 30 players. I hope Reed can bring life to our flatlined, stale, disappointment of a program that it’s been the past few years. Good start to head in the right direction.    

And I’m so glad we are also trying to make strides to bring the baseball prorgan back. I’d pick Rhiner if I had the choice myself. He’s done a good job as an assistant at WC. A former devil who played in the blue and white on some very good teams who played at the state level in the early 2000’s, he certainly knows what it takes to get there since he was there as a player. 

33 minutes ago, Leatherhead Larry said:

Darren Reed for Head Coach 2019. I’m so glad Reed has made his way back home. Hopefully the plan is to make him the lead man next season. This is the only thing I’m excited about for this season. I had no interest until this news broke. Akers needs to be gone now, but I can wait 10 games. Little League numbers are why down all the way up to varsity. Kids continue to quit and I hear GC might not have 30 players. I hope Reed can bring life to our flatlined, stale, disappointment of a program that it’s been the past few years. Good start to head in the right direction.    

And I’m so glad we are also trying to make strides to bring the baseball prorgan back. I’d pick Rhiner if I had the choice myself. He’s done a good job as an assistant at WC. A former devil who played in the blue and white on some very good teams who played at the state level in the early 2000’s, he certainly knows what it takes to get there since he was there as a player. 

I wish Coach Reed nothing but the best in dealing with his family matters, and I wish for a successful, prosperous resolution for him in this time of hardship.

That being said, you Gate City folks do realize that his coaching career has been exceedingly underwhelming without Colobro shepherding him, don’t you?  I can think of no better situation to completely demolish your program than to hand over a cratered program to someone who has needed (1) an unprecedented run of athletes and (2) one of the greatest coaches in VHSL history to obtain something resembling success.

I would have thought that the delusion might have petered out with the recent run of poor seasons, but alas, no.

No matter who coaches GC it will take time and effort to bring that program back to dominance.  All high schools have similar problems when a dominate program looses long standing coaches and the crop of talent is not what it once was.  We will face somewhat a similar situation in "Blues Land" when Mance retires or leaves the program.  We've had a great run, but chances are we will struggle without Mance.  A true fan will always support the team no matter the situation.  I remember attending games when the Blues were only winning one or two games a year, plenty of seats at the Ernie, so hang in there GC fans, keep supporting your players and encouraging those young men who are still playing their hearts out, its always easier to cheer for a winner, but we are needed more when the team is loosing. 

Edited by Blue 72
Misspelling

2 hours ago, Leatherhead Larry said:

Darren Reed for Head Coach 2019. I’m so glad Reed has made his way back home. Hopefully the plan is to make him the lead man next season.  I hope Reed can bring life to our flatlined, stale, disappointment of a program that it’s been the past few years. Good start to head in the right direction.    

Reed is not the answer to Gate City's problems unless you want it to be a really good basketball school. Abingdon football is on a downhill slide and that is due to Reed. His coaching staff has turned over every year and the number of players in the program continues to go down. 

2 hours ago, UVAObserver said:

I wish Coach Reed nothing but the best in dealing with his family matters, and I wish for a successful, prosperous resolution for him in this time of hardship.

That being said, you Gate City folks do realize that his coaching career has been exceedingly underwhelming without Colobro shepherding him, don’t you?  I can think of no better situation to completely demolish your program than to hand over a cratered program to someone who has needed (1) an unprecedented run of athletes and (2) one of the greatest coaches in VHSL history to obtain something resembling success.

I would have thought that the delusion might have petered out with the recent run of poor seasons, but alas, no.

This cracks me up, because the majority of people making that same comment has been GC folks. That being said, he was a helluva DC at GC and would be MUCH better than the mess we currently have. If nothing else, the numbers would pick up. 

31 minutes ago, GC_Quincy said:

This cracks me up, because the majority of people making that same comment has been GC folks. That being said, he was a helluva DC at GC and would be MUCH better than the mess we currently have. If nothing else, the numbers would pick up. 

Similar to Doug Marrs at Graham.  Did incredible work as a DC, but as HC drove Graham into so deep a hole that it took years for Graham to come back. Reed would do the same for GC, and I have too much respect for the tradition of that program to sit idly and watch fans with gigantic disconnects between perception and reality urge for the continued destruction of their program.

1 hour ago, Great City said:

Darren is much better as a DC than a HC. 

He is prob not our answer at HC, but can coach the D and will hopefully get some kids out of the halls and on the team. 

I would agree. At Central, while their record and offensive performance became worse each year he was there, the defense improved.

5 hours ago, UVAObserver said:

Yes nothing but the best wishes and prayers for Darren with dealing with his family issues.

Like UVA stated, "That being said, you Gate City folks do realize that his coaching career has been exceedingly underwhelming without Colobro shepherding him, don’t you?  I can think of no better situation to completely demolish your program than to hand over a cratered program to someone who has needed (1) an unprecedented run of athletes and (2) one of the greatest coaches in VHSL history to obtain something resembling success"

He is defensive minded and understands defense.  Offense and game management, NOT SO MUCH.  Speaking from experience from last year where he was the sole decision maker.  It cost Abingdon a few games and potentially a playoff win.  The turnover in coaches from year to year speaks for itself.  He may succeed at GC.  He may bring new life to a floundering program.  But theres a part that wonders why he waited this long to make a move.

Abingdon will be fine this year if we can get the right guy.  I've heard some rumors and speculation but nothing definitive.  (So we'll leave it at that until something more concrete transpires).  But on the upside AHS will have another large senior class with experience and quality talent.  So whoever gets the HC job probably will be able to win.  Not sure how many but they will win games.  Also I'm hearing that since Reed left others who might not have played this year are going to come out.

I believe people forget that Darren led as the offensive coordinator on the 2010 GC State Championship team and helped Co-Coordinate with Coach Smith the 2009 10-2 record team. I would much rather have Coach Reed over the mess we have now. Coach Reed works hard, he put in longer hours at the fieldhouse when at GC the first time, he watches film religiously, works the kids hard during the winter. Colobro may have been the head man, but when I went through the program, Coach Reed did the dirty work. Coach Reed has GC Pride and I believe he can turn the program around, if/when given the chance. I know for a fact it’s not a 1 year fix. It will take multiple years to fix things that have been destroyed the past 2, going on 3 seasons. We didn’t know what we had until it was gone. I’m all for him next year. People can say he’s not HC material, does that mean you believe Akers is? Do you believe that Akers is even a coach? 

And im not sure what kind of family issues the Reed’s are having, but I wish the family best of luck. 

10 hours ago, Leatherhead Larry said:

Nothing tells a body that this new generation is different than less than 30 kids at Gate City with all their tradition of winning:(

2 hours ago, Grapeape said:

How many games did he win in 4 years at Abingdon? 40? You can't fault the man for not winning at Central, seeing as how no one has ever won in Wise. 

I read somewhere he was like 34-12 while at AHS.  The previous 4 years AHS was like 12-34....Reed may not be good long term, but he was sure better than Bowles in the short term.  What worries me is that AHS will go down the good ol'boy path when hiring next coach now that Lasley is back and playing principal.