Darren Reed Out

Ryan4VT

2 hours ago, BigO said:

I read somewhere he was like 34-12 while at AHS.  The previous 4 years AHS was like 12-34....Reed may not be good long term, but he was sure better than Bowles in the short term.  What worries me is that AHS will go down the good ol'boy path when hiring next coach now that Lasley is back and playing principal. 

How many would he have won without Colobro?

1 hour ago, UVAObserver said:

How many would he have won without Colobro?

Probably about half.  Either way, it was better than Bowles.  I wasn't so much singing the praises of Reed as I was celebrating in the departure of Bowles. 

20 hours ago, Leatherhead Larry said:

And im not sure what kind of family issues the Reed’s are having, but I wish the family best of luck. 

From what I understand, he made the drive from Gate City to Abingdon every day.  I imagine the "family issues" is being able to spend more time with his family than what he did coaching in Abingdon.

3 minutes ago, GMan said:

From what I understand, he made the drive from Gate City to Abingdon every day.  I imagine the "family issues" is being able to spend more time with his family than what he did coaching in Abingdon.

This is correct. He was still living in GC the entire time he's been at Abingdon. But he does have a family health issue he wants to attend to.

14 hours ago, AHScoach said:

One thing Reed knew how to do at AHS was run off his assistant coaches. He couldn’t find anyone to work for him. 

That's one way to put it. Another would be to say the principal's nephew and all the other nepotism cases assigned to his staff were not very good coaches. Reed never picked his own staff, & both Reeds are known for chasing off bum coaches. Make no mistake, Darren Reed is the hardest working coach alive, but he has all the charm & diplomacy of a snapping turtle. I'm sure the Thought of Darren Reed sends Cissyfur Akers scrambling for the want adds. 

Matter of fact, we need a new thread.

Ah, the dilemma of Darren Reed. I have known him since he was a kid, running around Yuma Pool. He is someone who is totally devoted to his craft, but decorum and gentleness were (are) not his strong suits. Gate City's problems run deeper than most know. There is resentment and bitterness built up from years past and the lack of interest (from the current students aka potential players) is staggering. Can Darren coach, yes. Should he be a head coach, it just depends. But what this program needs a good kick in the a** to get it going and HE can do that. Who knows long term, If they recruit the hallways and parking lots after school they can at least become respectable again. Just my two cents, because sense is free!