Darren Reed In

Grapeape

Takes more than one coach to turn a program around.  Hope for you GC Fans it all works out, and you can field a good football team, but it will take time and if the new coach doesn't have the assistants or if the talent don't bye into his scheme and he don't have a good showing the first couple of years, you'll be on this board dishing him also.  Order in southwest VA will continue to stay the same for at least the next couple of years, but glad to hear your encouragement for the GC players.

Getting Darren back is a start. It’s a step forward and not backwards. He might not be the complete fix, but we are at least headed in the right direction now. No one will put the hours in like Reed, no one will bust the chops of the kids in the weight room like Reed, no one will do the little things like Reed. Gate City used to do the little things right. Reed is a guy who wants the little things done right. “Do the little things right, and the big things will take care of themselves.” I’ll never forget that quote from my days playing. GC doesn’t do the little things at all anymore. We have to gain control of our program again before we control swva football again. But, we now have a guy who was on top with GC as an assistant, he knows what it takes to be there. Name somebody else on GC’s staff that knows what it takes to be playing in December...heck, mid-November for that matter. I’m not saying Darren Reed is the messiah, but he could be the refresh we’ve needed. We need help in every aspect, from building little league number (that’s were it starts), helping the MS team build a schedule that gets them more than 5 games, building numbers at the MS and Varsity level, recruit the halls, get kids excited about football. I mean heck, even our uniforms match our play, the suck! The excitement around football in Gate City is dead. I never thought in my whole life that I would be excited about an assistant coach. But I feel he won’t be one long. As he said himself,

“I just want to do anything I can to help the program at Gate City. As alumni, we know what it feels like to be a Gate City Blue Devil and we want them to feel the same way we feel. I’m not a miracle pill or anything, but I just want to help out the kids and staff and help build the program back up. Southwest Virginia’s not the same without Gate City being at the top.”

9 minutes ago, Leatherhead Larry said:

Getting Darren back is a start. It’s a step forward and not backwards. He might not be the complete fix, but we are at least headed in the right direction now. No one will put the hours in like Reed, no one will bust the chops of the kids in the weight room like Reed, no one will do the little things like Reed. Gate City used to do the little things right. Reed is a guy who wants the little things done right. “Do the little things right, and the big things will take care of themselves.” I’ll never forget that quote from my days playing. GC doesn’t do the little things at all anymore. We have to gain control of our program again before we control swva football again. But, we now have a guy who was on top with GC as an assistant, he knows what it takes to be there. Name somebody else on GC’s staff that knows what it takes to be playing in December...heck, mid-November for that matter. I’m not saying Darren Reed is the messiah, but he could be the refresh we’ve needed. We need help in every aspect, from building little league number (that’s were it starts), helping the MS team build a schedule that gets them more than 5 games, building numbers at the MS and Varsity level, recruit the halls, get kids excited about football. I mean heck, even our uniforms match our play, the suck! The excitement around football in Gate City is dead. I never thought in my whole life that I would be excited about an assistant coach. But I feel he won’t be one long. As he said himself,

“I just want to do anything I can to help the program at Gate City. As alumni, we know what it feels like to be a Gate City Blue Devil and we want them to feel the same way we feel. I’m not a miracle pill or anything, but I just want to help out the kids and staff and help build the program back up. Southwest Virginia’s not the same without Gate City being at the top.”

Little league numbers are definitely down. Practice started Monday and the redskins have one of the smallest teams I have seen in little league. Hopefully we can get a fix for this in the near future. One thing I like that Akers brought in is travel ball. Just wish we could find a way it didn't coincide with little league basketball. Several new teams joined the travel league this year. Clintwood, Haysi, Central(wise), Patrick Henry, and Hancock County TN. 

4 hours ago, Leatherhead Larry said:

This gets me excited. The football program is was the backbone of that community.

• 2 weeks later...