Abingdon Football Head Coach

Falcon Mania

1 hour ago, Falcon Mania said:

Welcome home to the nest Garrett Amburgy as the Falcons new head football coach.  Abingdon just got a lot better. 

Also added to the staff: Chase Nunley, Rob Ratliff, Rocky Vincent, and Eugene Gobble.  Welcome back home men

Things certainly looking up.

Good luck to Garrett and the Falcons. 

I'm excited to see the change that is happening now for the Bearcats at OC. 

Tim Hayes @Hayes_BHCSports

Garrett Amburgey is the new head football coach at Abingdon High School. Was most recently offensive coordinator at Virginia High. J.J. Kelly grad.

great state

Make no mistake about it.  Coach Amburgey is and was the mastermind behind Abingdon's high powered offense that averaged 40+ points a game a couple of years ago.  With the returning athletes we have and some coming back out, I'm interested to see what the Falcons can do now without 3 yards and a cloud of dust.  There certainly is a buzz of positivity around AHS Football.  Coach Amburgey will have em ready to roll come opening night.

4 hours ago, Widespread_Panic said:

Abingdon happy to get rid of Reed. VA High happy to break in a new OC. Gate City happy to get Reed. Everyone is happy in the preseason. 

Let’s see how long it takes all 3 fanbases to go off on how horrible everything is going. 

3 hours ago, Ryan4VT said:

Let’s see how long it takes all 3 fanbases to go off on how horrible everything is going. 

I can't speak for our entire fan base, but I feel comfortable enough to say that I'm not one to do that, no matter how things are going. Im usually pretty consistant when talking about the Bearcats. My posts during my tenure here, prove that.

With that said, I'm not necessarily "happy" that Garrett left. I wish him well. He was a nice guy, who was always good to my kid. It's always tough to lose a coach at this stage in the game. He's a good guy, whose system/playcalling was just not a great fit for our athletes. Think square peg, round hole. His system/playcalling fits personnel like he had when Sturgill was QB, Yates was WR, etc., hence why Abingdon was a scoring machine then. I think this was a great hire for Abingdon.

I believe our new OC will breathe new life into this team. I have known him and his family for nearly 25 years. He was a star athlete growing up, and is an even better coach. Last year's success was mainly because of our defense, which should be even better this year. Our defense carried us all year. Even in the shalacking we took in Bluefield, our defense did as good as can be expected, when the offense turns the ball over 4 times in their own territory, throws a pick six, and after tying the game early, we decide to kick deep to a D1 prospect with 4.3 speed. Our offense became anemic against the better teams. Our leading rusher was only 3rd on the team in total carries. He lead the team in carries in 2 games, against Tn High and Abingdon, where the team scored a total of 5 TDs. He ran for 200 yds and 4 scores in those 2 games. I have a feeling this OC will take advantage of the fact that we have good depth in the skill positions this year. 

9 hours ago, UVAObserver said:

Gate City fans, read this very slowly.  Let it marinate into the very essence of your being.

He's been a fine coach for us in the past. I have no doubt he will again. It's going to take more than him. We know it, and he knows it. 

15 hours ago, Bearcat Dad said:

His system/playcalling fits personnel like he had when Sturgill was QB, Yates was WR, etc., hence why Abingdon was a scoring machine then. I think this was a great hire for Abingdon.

That team did have some success but they also lost in the first round of the playoffs on their home field when they were expected to make it a lot further. In my opinion Abingdon is in a tough situation. They aren't strong and physical enough to compete with the Mountain District teams when they switched to the ground game offense. On the other hand if they go spread they don't have the athletes to win at the 3A level. Not sure what their identity needs to be to win in the Mountain District and the 3A playoffs. 

23 minutes ago, Widespread_Panic said:

That team did have some success but they also lost in the first round of the playoffs on their home field when they were expected to make it a lot further. In my opinion Abingdon is in a tough situation. They aren't strong and physical enough to compete with the Mountain District teams when they switched to the ground game offense. On the other hand if they go spread they don't have the athletes to win at the 3A level. Not sure what their identity needs to be to win in the Mountain District and the 3A playoffs. 

I'm out of likes, but I agree completely.

I should have been more specific when I said that it was a great hire. I meant that it was a great hire for the future. I believe that most teams would struggle, when losing their head coach, this close to the season. This season, these kids are gonna have to flip from one side of the spectrum to the other, in terms of offensive styles. Thats tough sledding for 95% of SWVA teams. It will be interesting to see how they adapt.

I believe he was already quoted as saying the he would be running Spread, with his own "wrinkle" added to it. 

I thought reason Amburgey and Colobro both left was because Reed took over play calling that season and pretty much started doing it all like he did at Central when he went 1-9...so the playoff loss wasn't really on Amburgey or Colobro but more of Reed taking over total control because of failure to delegate or handle someone else getting credit for any success. Then after he ran them of he went to the smash mouth football scheme.

Here's the thing.  Yes it will be an adjustment for the freshman and some sophomores.  But the Juniors and Seniors were all part of Coach Amburgey's scheme previously.  So they will pick back up with it pretty quick.  Heck my own son still recalls plays and scheme from when he was at Abingdon before.  Now will there be a slight learning curve, Yes, but the foundation is still there.  So, technically its not apples to oranges.  Its more oranges to grapefruit.

1 hour ago, Blue_Crue said:

I thought reason Amburgey and Colobro both left was because Reed took over play calling that season and pretty much started doing it all like he did at Central when he went 1-9...so the playoff loss wasn't really on Amburgey or Colobro but more of Reed taking over total control because of failure to delegate or handle someone else getting credit for any success. Then after he ran them of he went to the smash mouth football scheme.

This is true.  I can't fault Amburgey or Colobro for the playoff losses.  Reed went into full control freak mode and the rest was history.  Reed definitely struggles with game management and offensive play calling. People can say what they want but until you sat through 40+ games and analyzed some of the calls, you tend to just scratch your head.  Amburgey on the other hand was always an excellent game manager and play caller for Abingdon.  He also has a niche for putting players in a situation to succeed.  If he can continue that the Falcons will be fine.