SWVA Sports Podcast - Episode 17 & New Host Site

Ryan4VT

The day has come. Two-a-days are underway this morning and the 2018 season is here. 

Just like the teams on the field, our podcast has changed a bit. 

Firstly, we have a new host site. Head on over to http://coalfieldsports.tk/pod/ to find the podcast home!

You WILL have to resubscribe to the pod, but you can do so on that page by clicking the podcasting service you usually go with. Google Play is still down right now. We are working to fix that. 

Also, look around the new Coalfield Sports site there. We have a lot of content that is meant to be a sister site to this one, SWVA Sports. 

We are expanding to two pods a week, and with that, we will be doing a weekly offensive and defensive player of the week series. We will announce the players eligible on the 1st pod and then announce the winner on the 2nd pod each week. 

We also have the Top 10 Poll that comes straight from this site. 

Brady, EH31 and I will be writing little articles like game previews and such over there as well. We will also post those here. If you guys wanna write for your team, let us know. We'd love to make that a cool local feature. 

So scroll around and enjoy that site. And invite your friends to join the boards here and help grow our family. 

Excited for what the new season holds!!!

2 minutes ago, swva_havok_fan said:

My guess is that the security guys have anything blocked with a ".tk" extension... they also have everything blocked with a ".info" extension so I can't access the Racing Reference website at work  either.

Ah. Well we are switching to a .com soon, so that won't be a problem much longer.

Good job on the podcast. Some (hopefully) helpful info on why VHS has been playing Thursday games.

This will be the 2nd year in a row that VHS plays Graham on Thursday in October because the Bristol City School System starts their Fall Break on the next day.

Also, early season games in Bristol are scheduled around the Bristol Pirates, as we share the clubhouse, concession supplies/food, and of course, parking. Sometimes, like last year in our opener, we can't work around the day, so our kickoff will be pushed back an hour, to allow the Pirates' crowd to clear out. 

13 minutes ago, Bearcat Dad said:

Good job on the podcast. Some (hopefully) helpful info on why VHS has been playing Thursday games.

This will be the 2nd year in a row that VHS plays Graham on Thursday in October because the Bristol City School System starts their Fall Break on the next day.

Also, early season games in Bristol are scheduled around the Bristol Pirates, as we share the clubhouse, concession supplies/food, and of course, parking. Sometimes, like last year in our opener, we can't work around the day, so our kickoff will be pushed back an hour, to allow the Pirates' crowd to clear out. 

Thank you for that. We just kind of thought maybe it was due to wanting to get folks who may come out from other schools on a Thursday.

Great podcast, hope your predictions are on the money. Thinking I need to take in a Ridgeview game too after listening to podcast. Adkins may end up being to football what McClung was to basketball by the time he's a senior  If I were on Graham coaching staff, I believe I'd spend an open Friday scouting down that way. Good job, enjoyed listening. 

On 7/26/2018 at 9:05 AM, Bearcat Dad said:

No problem. The Fall Break deal is still fairly new. Dealing with the local Minor League team's schedule has been going on since way before my time. We had to move our Benefit Game against Union to Thursday this year because of it.

So the reason for the opening game on Thursday with the Bulldogs due to race weekend?

5 hours ago, Bulldogs52 said:

So the reason for the opening game on Thursday with the Bulldogs due to race weekend?

No, the race is the Saturday before Opening Week. I've been a little curious myself as to why we are traveling to Tazewell on a Thursday. I will see our AD soon. I will ask and see what the reason is for that.

2 hours ago, Bearcat Dad said:

No, the race is the Saturday before Opening Week. I've been a little curious myself as to why we are traveling to Tazewell on a Thursday. I will see our AD soon. I will ask and see what the reason is for that.

I would bet Tazewell wanted it to draw some Richlands/Graham/Bluefield fans out to their game. They know fans are starved for football and will come there on a Thursday night since the only other game in the area is at Union that night. 

4 hours ago, Ryan4VT said:

I would bet Tazewell wanted it to draw some Richlands/Graham/Bluefield fans out to their game. They know fans are starved for football and will come there on a Thursday night since the only other game in the area is at Union that night. 

That makes sense. It should allow them to draw a bigger gate than normal.