Numbers

Ryan4VT

Judging from the video, looks like Narrows has close to 40.  Being week 1 of practice, I would say that's probably JV and Varsity together.  Still solid numbers for the boys in Green.  

http://www.wvva.com/story/38792762/2018/08/01/camp-tour-2018-narrows-green-wave

Just the rumblings I've heard from friends with kids at both Giles and James Monroe, it sounds like a similar issue in that a part of the reason for low turnout is the popularity of some of the coaches amoung the kids along with the various others already mentioned above.  There's parents that have the fear of concussions.  Some kids just aren't into football like they used to be given more entertainment options now than we had growing up. These things add up quickly and when the numbers are going down across the region in general, a trend Narrows is lucky to have avoided so far given the enrollment being 100 plus kids higher now then it was 20 years ago, coaches now have to be recruiters too now more than ever.  

Narrows numbers look pretty good. Definitely better turnout than Giles. I'm going to say it now Narrows can and just may beat Giles this year. I don't know what Giles has in terms of talent but with such low numbers it won't matter much. 

I haven’t heard how many James Monroe has yet but we’re expecting a low turnout. We have a new coach that will do a good job once he gets the numbers back up. He knows his football. He’s a real go getter and motivator. Fundraises like crazy to get money for the program. We have some new assistants too that the kids will like and respect. I have no ideal what too expect this year but I’ll be there regardless!

2 hours ago, nrv_football said:

Narrows numbers look pretty good. Definitely better turnout than Giles. I'm going to say it now Narrows can and just may beat Giles this year. I don't know what Giles has in terms of talent but with such low numbers it won't matter much. 

Well it's bound to happen at some point...I mean it's been 1,000 years lol

45 minutes ago, spartanwinger said:

The 27 Giles has is junior and senior only with 4 sophomore's. Add in the jv and they have around 50. So sorry Narrows guys they have just as many out as you!!  

With double the enrollment (265 to 524 according to VHSL's website) that Narrows has.   Congrats?  You win again I guess.   SMDH.  

1 hour ago, spartanwinger said:

The 27 Giles has is junior and senior only with 4 sophomore's. Add in the jv and they have around 50. So sorry Narrows guys they have just as many out as you!!  

Our numbers are embarrassing period...27 with 4 sophomores...good grief embarrassing

Just HAVE to avoid injuries to have any shot...im sure there is no depth at all...hope I'm wrong

14 minutes ago, 99Bama said:

So the 50 that Giles has does that include 8th graders for JV? 

Yes I'm sure it does...that's why I said our numbers are embarrassing this year

We don't have a true JV team this year but we have an 8th-9th grade team

But I think they only had 7-8 total come out for 8th grade football this year

On 8/6/2018 at 8:56 PM, Hokiebird7 said:

Our numbers are embarrassing period...27 with 4 sophomores...good grief embarrassing

Just HAVE to avoid injuries to have any shot...im sure there is no depth at all...hope I'm wrong

I think union has same problem with sophomore class i may be wrong but it looks like they only have 2

• 2 weeks later...